Harvey Eastwood 37

floydraser

Hello all,

I'm new here and I come seeking help with my latest and probably last restoration I will take on. Over this weekend I will become the owner of Denham Owl. She is a 1970 built Harvey Eastwood 37 Santa Caterina I believe. I used to restore cars in my spare time but became disillusioned by the classic car movement's obsession with values, so turned to boats where everyone just chucks their money into the water! Well, what else would you do with it?

There are wiring diagrams with the paperwork labelled: Santa Caterina Mark IV - L.C. Eastwood - Gipsy II 

Would anyone here know where if possible, I could get access to the original build records and drawings?

The main area of concern is with the decking which leaks in several places, and the canopy, which has been sealed shut. I would like to get hold of details of the canopy mechanism before I resort to a large tin opener!

The whole exercise will be recorded for my Youtube channel. Recent photo attached, not my photo and for some reason the name has been deleted.

s-l1600.jpg.3ef8689a4fd318cafc33b183877e4bf5.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

Pretty sure my family hired Santa Caterina in from Harvey Eastwood in July 1987, my last holiday on the Broads after University and before entering the world of employment. I think I have a photograph of her at Oulton Broad Yacht Station, canopy back, in glorious sunshine (the sun always shone then). My (then) girlfriend went with us, fond but hazy memories of attempting a bit of "fun" in the forward cabin (Vee berths), gave up as we were rocking the boat and woke up my parents (couldn't blame it on the river!!)

Good luck, really looking forward to watching her resoration.

I remember that they were pretty classy hire boats in their day! Harvey Eastwood's yard was at the top of the dyke at Brundall, opposite Coldham Hall. I remember Simon Harvey but not Mr Eastwood, although I knew his son and daughter. The Eastwoods are related to the Whelptons, so you might enquire at Eastwood Whelpton of Upton. They may still have records.

Best of luck with your restoration! 

• Like 1

Dave is that not the one restored  at Martham up in the top right corner, I seem to remember him fitting a bow thruster.

If memory serves they were built on an Ocean/Broom 37 hull. Barnes Brinkcraft  had one in there hire fleet for awhile (Brinks Prelude was it? ) she lays on the Repps bank in Potter.

I believe Seraphina was sold by the guy who restored her but a call to MBs might give you a phone number for the guy who restored her.

Cor Blimey! Five replies in the time it took me to clean the bathroom!

I was wondering how much interest there would be from the forum and I am now delighted by the responses. 

So there may have been some hanky panky going on in the foc'sle then Chris? Well it's had a happy life then!

Thanks for the other info guys. I knew Seraphina had been restored and sold and it would be great to take a look around her. I never knew there was a Mr. Harvey and a Mr. Eastwood like most people I guess.

Now the good news for Wherrynice: Saturday morning (29-9-18) 5am I'm off from Leicestershire to Bowling, Dumbarton, where she is currently moored on the Forth & Clyde canal. Around lunchtime we go through the sea lock onto the Clde and up 4.5 miles to Clyde Boatyard. Monday she gets lifted onto a low loader. Tuesday she travels towards Norwich. Wednesday she arrives at Brundall Bay and gets craned into the water. We then have a gentle cruise - saluting as we pass Eastwood Marina - and round to Brundall Gardens where I have a berth.

I would like to say this is because of my sense of history but in fact it's more down to a happy accident, or it was written in the stars, take your pick. Reading these forums I always assumed it was very, very expensive to keep a boat on the Broads but it's not; it's just very expensive. Moorings near to me were either more expensive, not available or under an airport flight path near a motorway junction.

Thanks again.

• Like 3

There is a recently restored Eastwood 37 currently on the Broads. I have seen her a few times lately (within the last two weeks in fact) and she looks extremely good. I’m not absolutely certain but I think some of the works may have been done by/at Cox’s Boatyard at Barton Turf. I know this is probably no help at all but just thought I would mention it. A lot of the wood has been restored and it looks a different boat altogether now. 

35 minutes ago, springsong said:

Dave is that not the one restored  at Martham up in the top right corner, I seem to remember him fitting a bow thruster.

If memory serves they were built on an Ocean/Broom 37 hull. Barnes Brinkcraft  had one in there hire fleet for awhile (Brinks Prelude was it? ) she lays on the Repps bank in Potter.

I believe Seraphina was sold by the guy who restored her but a call to MBs might give you a phone number for the guy who restored her.

17 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Cor Blimey! Five replies in the time it took me to clean the bathroom!

I was wondering how much interest there would be from the forum and I am now delighted by the responses. 

So there may have been some hanky panky going on in the foc'sle then Chris? Well it's had a happy life then!

Thanks for the other info guys. I knew Seraphina had been restored and sold and it would be great to take a look around her. I never knew there was a Mr. Harvey and a Mr. Eastwood like most people I guess.

Now the good news for Wherrynice: Saturday morning (29-9-18) 5am I'm off from Leicestershire to Bowling, Dumbarton, where she is currently moored on the Forth & Clyde canal. Around lunchtime we go through the sea lock onto the Clde and up 4.5 miles to Clyde Boatyard. Monday she gets lifted onto a low loader. Tuesday she travels towards Norwich. Wednesday she arrives at Brundall Bay and gets craned into the water. We then have a gentle cruise - saluting as we pass Eastwood Marina - and round to Brundall Gardens where I have a berth.

I would like to say this is because of my sense of history but in fact it's more down to a happy accident, or it was written in the stars, take your pick. Reading these forums I always assumed it was very, very expensive to keep a boat on the Broads but it's not; it's just very expensive. Moorings near to me were either more expensive, not available or under an airport flight path near a motorway junction.

Thanks again.

Hi.  We hired one of these - Santa Caterina - in around 1965 - must have been one of the first?

Can you keep us all up to date with progress on here as well?

Good Luck.

Happy (aka Alan)

18 minutes ago, WherryNice said:

Hurrah, glad she is coming home! Am I right in thinking that some of these are half grp half timber and some are all timber?

Apparently so. According to the website, "Boats of the Norfolk Broads" The Santa Caterinas were built from 1964 to 1970ish, and were all timber. Denham Owl is listed in that section although she has a grp hull. It also says from 1970 they were called "Harvey Eastwood 37's" and were based on the Ocean 37 hull with timber uppers.

Denham Owl is said to be 1970 bulid so may be there's a bit of cross over between models. I always had Vauxhall cars like that; it was a pain to get the parts!

• Thanks 1

Well, you do know that if you get in a fix you can call on the forum experts to come give a hand - eg 

we took Royal Tudor from nowhere near ready and got her ready to take part in the Beccles Wooden Boat show in just a scant few months and on a shoestring budget, it was hard (but enjoyable) work, but shows that we have members here who have the skills to help if you need it, so dont be backwards about coming forwards if you need assistance.

I also love these boats, when we were first browsing Blakes and Hoseasons brochures back in the very early 70's these appeared to be the "Rolls Royce" of the boats on offer. Described as being fitted with "luxurious axminster carpets"! We could never afford one sadly being on student nurse wages and settled for "Spitfire" a lovely small woodie with a rear cockpit and a huge gear lever we had to take out if leaving the boat!.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, grendel said:

Well, you do know that if you get in a fix you can call on the forum experts to come give a hand - eg 

we took Royal Tudor from nowhere near ready and got her ready to take part in the Beccles Wooden Boat show in just a scant few months and on a shoestring budget, it was hard (but enjoyable) work, but shows that we have members here who have the skills to help if you need it, so dont be backwards about coming forwards if you need assistance.

Yes I saw this when browsing the forum, great spirit. One of my motivations is the threat of poor health as time goes on; before buying my first boat not long ago, I used to say I'm having a boat before I'm too old to climb on it!

5 hours ago, springsong said:

That makes sense. It was dark when we passed her but I said it didn't look right!

Yes I knew Seraphina was rebuilt purely to sell on and was still out there somewhere. 

Will look forward to seeing floydraser out and about. Transportation by road can't have been cheap though. I know how much it costs to move one just 100 miles!