Harvey Eastwood 37

floydraser

• 1 month later...

Here is Part 13.

This will be the last time I post a link to my videos on this forum but there are instructions within the video for anyone interested enough to follow the progress. You can subscribe to my Youtube channel and get notified when new vids appear.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I was wondering how much interest there would be from the forum and I am now delighted by the responses. 

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

How time flies.

i'm sure vaughan means a complete change of attitude and like many of us wonders why when they seem to be well received.

• Like 1

I was trying to be minimalistic and not convey any kind of attitude but I guess as has been said a million times before, it's all in the interpretation.

I have a response, I'm sitting on it, and removing all the offensive bits, so it should be ready for consideration in about a week.:default_dry:

• 5 weeks later...

Just for your information, back in the late 1970s (approx 1979 - 1981) Denham Owl belonged to a chap called Len Frampton, a friend of my Grandfather. W.G. Stratford of Newson Boats Oulton Broad.

My Grandfather Sold Denham Owl on behalf of his friend to the actor, Edward Woodward, (Equalizer fame) and made the arrangements to move her to the river thames for him.

Your post is the first time I have seen anything regarding Denham Owl since she left Oulton Broad all those years ago.

Good Luck with the restoration. 

Best Regards

Toby 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Toby, that is the best post on this forum ever!:default_icon_kiss:

I used to love tracing the owners of my beloved TR7 restoration a few years back but never knew where to start with the Owl. The lady who sold it to me told me of the rumour that Edward Woodward was a previous owner but as she had been seriously stitched up when she bought it, we thought it was all part of the BS. I have mentioned the large, full length mirror on the inside of the heads door which enables one to observe one's self in action as it were. I had my suspicion that it was a pointer towards EW as someone to whom appearance would have been very important. I never bothered to chase it up to find out for two reasons: I thought it may look like I am just trying to boost the value for a sale, and secondly, knowing my luck I would have discovered he sold it to Rolf Harris or Jimmy Saville!:default_hiding:

Thanks for the information and I would love to know more about Len Frampton if anyone has any more memories. I guess W.G. Stratford would have been acting as a broker and never actually owned the boat?

Kind regards

Pete

• Love 1

Smart boats then, smart boats now. The Stratford's bungalow was, it's been knocked down, just around the corner from where I live. I frequently went past and for some time a Harvey Eastwood was moored there. Don't know who owned it, being a yard owner it was not unusual for various boats to be moored there.

ACF97C.jpg

• Like 1

Pete,

I will show this post to my father and ask him if he can remember any info regarding how long Len owned her for,  and any other info he may remember.

Also mentioned above (Jenny Morgan) the Harvey Eastwood moored at the bungalow was Denham Owl, I can’t remember how long it was there for, at Least one summer I think, and occasions when Len visited, or she was about to be lifted out the water at the yard.

I do remember meeting Edward Woodward,  the day he came to view Denham Owl and taking her out with him for a test run. At the time I didn’t have a clue who he was, ( I was to young & it was pre the Equaliser)

You are correct WG was acting as the broker for Len, but they were friends so I don’t believe WG would have made anything from the deal.

I will post any further info I can find out for you.

Best Regards 

Toby

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

The Equalizer ??? Pah! Don't tell me about that modern stuff. For me, Edward woodwoodwoodwood was Callan (for which I'm still trying to find a copy of the theme music)

Apart from all that, Welcome to the Forum Tobster. 

I still occasionally use Lonley's reply to being asked how he liked his tea...."Interfered with, Mr. Callan" 

10 hours ago, Tobster said:

Pete,

I will show this post to my father and ask him if he can remember any info regarding how long Len owned her for,  and any other info he may remember.

Also mentioned above (Jenny Morgan) the Harvey Eastwood moored at the bungalow was Denham Owl, I can’t remember how long it was there for, at Least one summer I think, and occasions when Len visited, or she was about to be lifted out the water at the yard.

I do remember meeting Edward Woodward,  the day he came to view Denham Owl and taking her out with him for a test run. At the time I didn’t have a clue who he was, ( I was to young & it was pre the Equaliser)

You are correct WG was acting as the broker for Len, but they were friends so I don’t believe WG would have made anything from the deal.

I will post any further info I can find out for you.

Best Regards 

Toby

Brilliant Toby, thanks again. The plot thickens though: I have the names of two other previous owners, one in Edgware and one in Burnham, Bucks. I always assumed the name came after the boat moved to the Thames, changed by someone with an affinity to Denham, Buckinghamshire.

I have a wiring diagram with "Santa Caterina Mk IV" and "Gipsy III" marked but can't be certain they refer to my boat. Hope some of that jogs a memory or two.

12 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Smart boats then, smart boats now. The Stratford's bungalow was, it's been knocked down, just around the corner from where I live. I frequently went past and for some time a Harvey Eastwood was moored there. Don't know who owned it, being a yard owner it was not unusual for various boats to be moored there.

ACF97C.jpg

Just for the record: this isn't the Denham Owl and looks like an earlier wooden hulled version. Nice all the same.