Harvey Eastwood 37

floydraser

floydraser as you mention restoring original sign writing etc and I notice in your YouTube vids that the boat has a newer 4 digit reg number, have you thought about asking for her original one back?  My parents got the original one back for their 'new' boat which had left the Broads back in 2000 and returned just before lockdown.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, floydraser said:

Had a look and it seems a German family hired one and claimed they didn't realise they couldn't go to sea; ended up in Brightlingsea, Essex.

Found this link and stole it: http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/451

This film shows a typical 1971 sunshine family hiring a Santa Caterina. I'm not qualified to comment fully on the continuity but I think it may be a bit out. It's supposed to go under PH bridge but the actual shot changes to a different boat. Warning: the film contains images of female women in mini skirts!:default_eusa_naughty:

Absolutely loved the film.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to remember televisions like that.

"Premier boating centre of Europe"

"200 miles of cruising waterways"

Taken from BA website:

"The Broads is a National Park , and more.... of the 15 National Parks in the UK it has the greatest level of biodiversity and of course 12,000 boats which utilise the 125 miles of inland navigable waterways. The Courts (High Court and Court of Appeal), Government and the 14 other National Parks all support the Broads Authority’s decision to refer to the area as the Broads National Park."

What's happened to the missing 75 miles (37.5%)  :default_jumelles:

3 hours ago, WherryNice said:

floydraser as you mention restoring original sign writing etc and I notice in your YouTube vids that the boat has a newer 4 digit reg number, have you thought about asking for her original one back?  My parents got the original one back for their 'new' boat which had left the Broads back in 2000 and returned just before lockdown.

Thank you for the idea! Until you suggested it, I wouldn't have thought she ever had a previous number because I thought the Denham Owl name came after she left the Broads. I'll add it to the "to do" list.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Thank you for the idea! Until you suggested it, I wouldn't have thought she ever had a previous number because I thought the Denham Owl name came after she left the Broads. I'll add it to the "to do" list.

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=3321&BoatHistory=4249.

Looks like the number was E93, hopefully they will allow it to be changed back.:1310_thumbsup_tone1:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

One of the greatest gifts I gave to my kids was  a wicked sense of humour. This has come back to bite me with this creative Father's Day present. 

We nipped over yesterday (Sat 20th) to freshen things up and get it ready for the "next time" whenever that may be. Nice to see a few people about and nice to see not many insects had invaded. 

Heritage disc.jpg

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the latest 3 vids:

Dependant on the post-covid situation, Denham Owl could be on the market anytime from when I get the poo pipe changed, to next April's renewals. But we'll have a few nice weekends until then...:default_smiley-char054:

By the way, anyone panicked by the presence of oxy-acetylene bottles in my garage can relax as they're gone. I think I posted something about that before? It's my age. What did I come upstairs for?

• Like 2

On 05/05/2020 at 20:13, MotorBoater said:

What's happened to the missing 75 miles (37.5%)  :default_jumelles:

Measured all the mudflats on Breydon and all the reedbeds on Horsey, possibly.

And was Haddiscoe dam flooded?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, floydraser said:

Here are the latest 3 vids:

Dependant on the post-covid situation, Denham Owl could be on the market anytime from when I get the poo pipe changed, to next April's renewals. But we'll have a few nice weekends until then...:default_smiley-char054:

By the way, anyone panicked by the presence of oxy-acetylene bottles in my garage can relax as they're gone. I think I posted something about that before? It's my age. What did I come upstairs for?

Why are you putting DH on the market? 

16 hours ago, Tobster said:

Why are you putting DH on the market? 

Nothing has been decided yet, the jury is still out.

It's nothing to do with boats or the Broads but more about our choice of lifestyle and the post covid situation. We have a touring caravan in which have a weeks holiday in the Lake District and several long weekends away during a typical year. We also enjoy long days out.

Watching the way people are ignoring social distancing advice I can only assume, or should that be, "it's only safe to assume" that people are just as lapse at cleanliness with regard to santisation. So that puts me off buying a coffee or a meal out, then there's public toilets. So we're back to picnics in the car just like when we couldn't afford anything else. :default_rolleyes:

It largely depends on how the rest of the summer pans out; we have a couple of caravan holidays booked so it we'll see how they go. And also whether the marina re-open the toilet block.

One use of the boat was as a weekend bolt hole for us to use as a base to visit East Anglia but they day out situation could knock that on the head also. 

We may consider replacing the caravan with VW T6 based campavan which would then make the boat a bit pointless.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, floydraser said:

One use of the boat was as a weekend bolt hole for us to use as a base to visit East Anglia but they day out situation could knock that on the head also. 

I can sympathize with Floyd on this one. Firstly I fear that we will lose many of the attractions and facilities that make for our days out. Secondly I shudder at the relaxed attitudes of many people in regard to both hygiene and social distancing. I don't see a quick return to normality, indeed I do wonder what we shall actually return to. We can not take anything for granted, least of all whether toilets will be open!

• Like 3

She's safe for a bit longer....

We've just been away in the caravan for a long weekend and we reckon the situation is not as bad as it could be. The only difference within the campsite is that we both use antiseptic wipes on door handles, toilet flushes etc. and don't use the showers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well that was nice; just had a couple of nights stay over on the Owl. What a luxury - fridge with ice cubes, hot and cold running water, decent weather and nice company. 

I managed to push on a bit with the wiring so it's all a bit easier to set up. I was having to connect the fridge wiring every visit but now it's wired through the 12v fused panel.

I'll spare Poppy's blushes and not resurrect the poo thread, but I failed to get the camera in the tank. I squibbed the outer ring of bolts with graphited (very smelly) penetrating fluid on Wednesday evening then tried to loosen them Thursday morning. Unfortunately a couple of them snapped as the are not stainless so I gave up. I tried the inner set and they came loose but nothing wanted to move easily so I tightened them up again. I could see me ending up with a large, gaping hole in the top of the tank with no way of sealing it up! So I plastered the whole lot with silicone and I'll go back plan A and have a pump out first. I will try one more thing first though: I need to listen to the tank while operating the pump to hear if there is splashing or bubbling going on, but my arms aren't long enough.

I've managed to pick up a hell of a lot of information about my boat from just sitting on the back of it and engaging with interested passers by. This time it was an old Suffolk Boy who said, "I suppose that refers to the Denham down near Horham then?" He used to cycle down that way as a boy apparently. He wasn't a boat owner, just a guest of one of my neighbours and was enjoying a bit of fishing. What are the chances of that? Remember just after arrived in Brundall Gardens a guy came by who's Dad used to have a couple HE37's in his hire fleet?

Well I've looked it up and sure enough there is a Denham which is a tiny village I would describe as two houses and a pub, but without the pub. There is a village hall though, which is on the Western side of the old RAF Horham airfield (it is in fact the old Guardhouse) which got me thinking, probably over thinking but: I wondered if the Denham Owl was named after the nose art of a B-17 Flying Fortress? Then I thought probably not, as the Owl is a night bird and the USAF flew mainly daylight raids? Hmm, we'll see.

• Like 5

Not wishing to plunder Denham Owls thread too much I shall be brief. Seraphina, Denham Owl's sister ship, has come on the market today. They are absolutely cracking boats, as you can tell. The owner is asking  £36K for Seraphina. I have enclosed part of his email below. Pm me for contact details.

.....Due to family reasons we are having to sell Seraphina. This is a very painful decision but needs must. She has had some extensive work completed during the lockdown:

Anti fouled, hull polish, sea cock replaced, full engine service. All the top roofs have been taken back and repainted. I have all the pictures of the work that was undertaken. 

I want the boat to go to someone who will look after her as we have done and take care of her for the future. Over the years we have put a lot into her new batteries last year, new fridge etc. 

I am not advertising on any websites as yet and wanted to ask you first as I would love her to go to someone in your network.....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

Not wishing to plunder Denham Owls thread too much I shall be brief. Seraphina, Denham Owl's sister ship, has come on the market today. They are absolutely cracking boats, as you can tell. The owner is asking  £36K for Seraphina. I have enclosed part of his email below. Pm me for contact details.

.....Due to family reasons we are having to sell Seraphina. This is a very painful decision but needs must. She has had some extensive work completed during the lockdown:

Anti fouled, hull polish, sea cock replaced, full engine service. All the top roofs have been taken back and repainted. I have all the pictures of the work that was undertaken. 

I want the boat to go to someone who will look after her as we have done and take care of her for the future. Over the years we have put a lot into her new batteries last year, new fridge etc. 

I am not advertising on any websites as yet and wanted to ask you first as I would love her to go to someone in your network.....

I don't mind that at all. I'm sorry for Gary as I know from the telephone conversations I've had with him that he loved the boat. I wish him well and hope Seraphina gets an equally enthusiastic new owner. 

I've not seen the boat close up but I know it's had a major refurbishment and should be solid for quite a few years yet. I'll mention it to the passers by I meet on a regular basis at Brundall Gardens.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This video contains images of an old bloke, a poo pipe and a duck. I'm giving no clues at all as to how the story pans out but you'll either have to watch it or leave it up to your own imagination.

The current situation is that she (the boat, not the duck) now has a new BSSC and simplified gas piping but no water heater. I made the decision to bin the gas water heater and install a domestic "under sink" electric one. The old one is currently on Ebay and the new one isn't piped in yet so I'm back to domestic hardship for a while. The decision is based on our projected use of the boat and should we decide to go cruising we will have to rely on electric points, buy a generator or boil the kettle!

The generator is not such a daft idea as one of my neighbours installed one when one of his female guests insisted on having a hair dryer on board. Ok, it is daft!:facepalm:

In the process of removing the old heater I discovered that the hot water supply ran from the heater down into the bilge, accross the boat, rearwards through a bulkhead then back accross the boat and up to the hot tap, about 2 feet from the heater! And none of the pipe was insulated. The run to the heads hot tap was about the same length and would explain why it took ages to get any hot water at either tap.

Also gone is that bloody ugly chimney!:default_trophy:

Another tip for renovating/updating: Try and avoid domestic wash hand basins. Pot ones are ok in a heated environment but in a cold boat the mass of the basin also absorbs heat from the water and you use more. Not worth me changing it now but I notice the difference between the boat and my caravan ABS jobby.

Work has started on the outside again: I've removed some more rotten wood (I hate bringing bits of boat home in a bag!) and started applying resin and glass matting. The BSS and the weather has stopped progress there for a while though. I was hoping to have it waterproof by this time but hey ho. Once the water heater is up and running I can focus fully on the outside.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

There must be something about this video that makes more people want to watch it; could it be a fascination with human waste? The other videos in this series usually get around 60-70 views but this one is nearly double that! I wonder why some are watched more than others but just to help those who don't know:

If you click on the Youtube text at the bottom right it opens in Youtube, then under the video bottom left you see "Floyd Raser". Click there and you go to my channel, click on "videos" at the top and you'll see all my videos.

The weather forecast looked good for Wednesday and Thursday so I nipped over Wednesday afternoon with the sole mission of fitting the new water heater. This one: https://www.screwfix.com/p/ariston-undersink-water-heater-2kw-15ltr/9720g

As we will be mostly using the boat as a floating caravan for now it'll suit us nicely thank you. Tom has very kindly pointed out that there are quite a few moorings with electric points around and I think there can only be more in the future with electric boats and all. But even so, 15 litres in a well insulated tank will keep warm for long enough to be practical. Well we'll see.

It's mounted in the forecabin and will need boxing in eventually but it gives a nice, short run to the galley hot tap. The pipes need a bit of hiding too when I get the time. An added bonus is that a blanked off twin socket in the galley has been freed up to supply power for the heater and we can possibly have an electric kettle and a microwave.

It wasn't the best of trips: I was working until around 23.30 (quietly!) Wednesday and finished at 15.30 Thursday but had to work mostly with the cover on and artificial light because the weather forecast couldn't have been more wrong! :39_angry:

On the brighter side, we now have piping hot water at full pressure and I got 40 quid for the old heater!:default_smiley-char054:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Forget Britbox and have a look here:

Just a shortie at 13 minutes, it covers some of the things relating to the BSSC. D.O.19 will cover the solutions, and may be quite long. 

Not shown in the video is the attention Will showed to the engine's fuel supply, particularly to the pipework, filters and shut off valves. Thankfully he was happy with all of it. As an aside I asked him if he could see where to connect a calorifier to the cooling system and he couldn't find anywhere. Well if an experienced engineer can't find anywhere, there ain't anywhere!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Oh look:

I've just realised I've used the same thumbnail pic a few times now. One day I hope to have the blue cover off and take a decent shot with her looking at her best with the 6ft pointless mast and useless spotlight in place. 

D.O. 19 is mostly about the work done to satisfy Will Kirby of Freshwater Marine, who did the BSSC.

• Like 2

Well you've seen grendel and Vaughans efforts at crafting skills; they are Premier League. Look here for a taste of life down in the Conference!

This is mainly about the fitting of the mains electric water heater.

Big news is that I may be moving the boat from the Broads back to Farndon Marina on the Trent. Farndon was my first choice when I bought the Owl a couple of years ago but they couldn't squeeze me in. It was Cal's thread about the Soar that made me think it may be a good idea to enquire and at the moment the sums all look good.