Harvey Eastwood 37

floydraser

You may well have heard an almighty sigh of relief sometime on Wednesday afternoon around Brundall Gardens.

The trip from Bowling to Clyde Boatyard went as well it could, given we were both (myself and the previous owner) relative novices. I was particularly bothered about the whereabouts of an 11,000 tonne fuel tanker "Songo Emerald" which was also using Rothesay Dock. Luckily it had gone by the time we travelled; I just didn't want to meet it in the river!

The lift went really well on Monday, wait for the video.

On inspection at Brundall the ship's bell had pulled it's screws out of the woodwork and the fridge had tried to escape it's orrifice. I thought that was the only damage until later when I went to fill the kettle and the water went horribly brown! I guess the lorry driver was in a hurry.

This boat handles like a dream and we thoroughly enjoyed our little cruise between the boats in Brundall Bay and then out onto the river. I am no longer a Broads Virgin! That was my first time and although just a tiddly trip, I can already see the appeal of the Broads. We got her into the marina and a very nice chap helped us get her moored up, then it was off to the pub. We walked the mile back to The Yare where I had dined before, then we collected the vehicles. BTW have you seen the "double moon" at the Yare pub? Find it on Google Streetview.

Back at BGM we gave her the first of many washes, fitted the cover and all of a sudden it was 5.30. Next trip will be a thorough inspection and high quality photographic session, and the start of a very long to do list.

The pic shows her on a temporary mooring; she'll be moved along one place to starboard when the other boat moves.

After the trauma of the move it feels like the fun is starting.

IMAG0207.jpg

• Like 3

Hi Floyd It looks like someone was let loose with a hacksaw, the ends have been left open! you need to wash them out, dry them, then squirt some maintenance spray oil down the inside then seal with frame sealer otherwise they will corrode and or smell, you say brown water came out of the tap looks like you have steel water tanks or badly soiled, they need cleaning and if they have a inspection hatch repaint interior with bitchumen or better still replace with stainless steel tank, enjoy your new experience. John

3 hours ago, annv said:

Hi Floyd It looks like someone was let loose with a hacksaw, the ends have been left open! you need to wash them out, dry them, then squirt some maintenance spray oil down the inside then seal with frame sealer otherwise they will corrode and or smell, you say brown water came out of the tap looks like you have steel water tanks or badly soiled, they need cleaning and if they have a inspection hatch repaint interior with bitchumen or better still replace with stainless steel tank, enjoy your new experience. John

Thanks John, I think I've been thrown by the round bar; it looks like a arrangement for a special bit of kit. But now I can see that removing the davits complete would leave a big gap in the rail and holes in the deck. It's probably close to a good solution but needs finishing properly with end caps to tidy it up.

3 hours ago, floydraser said:

Can anyone suggest an appropriate punishment for the person who did this?

IMAG0215.jpg

Can you not put it back together with a bit of no nails? :default_smiley-angelic002:

Hi Floyd It will be easy to repair wonder why they cut it off, is/was it hinged? easier to drop the whole mast for a low bridge i would have thought or is the mast fixed so only needed to cut sufficient to clear bridge. Ref your rear rail, you could cut one of the round bars then hinge it to make rear/stern mooring easier,then fit a wide stepped ladder to access shore, it looks like you will have a few DIY jobs to sort out before next season, anything to keep you out of the pub hopefully and get brownie points from her indoors. enjoy. John

Depending on how far you want to keep it "as built", I might be inclined to ditch that whole rear rail/davit/abomination and go for a whole new stainless rail. The present mountings on the deck might make that a non-starter though.

3 hours ago, annv said:

Hi Floyd It will be easy to repair wonder why they cut it off, is/was it hinged? easier to drop the whole mast for a low bridge i would have thought or is the mast fixed so only needed to cut sufficient to clear bridge. Ref your rear rail, you could cut one of the round bars then hinge it to make rear/stern mooring easier,then fit a wide stepped ladder to access shore, it looks like you will have a few DIY jobs to sort out before next season, anything to keep you out of the pub hopefully and get brownie points from her indoors. enjoy. John

Hi John, It's not hinged but has two holes and two S/S pins at the foot. The wire stays have string at the bottom ends and I presume it's all to make it easy to take it down for bridges. Goodness only knows why it was sawn off but whatever the reason the job wasn't completed. I can almost see the point of wanting it shorter as it is taller than the top of the cabin. Gives me something to play with in between trips to the boat I guess!

2 hours ago, Regulo said:

Depending on how far you want to keep it "as built", I might be inclined to ditch that whole rear rail/davit/abomination and go for a whole new stainless rail. The present mountings on the deck might make that a non-starter though.

That would look nice but I think as it's way down the priority list I think I'll just have a go at making look a bit more completed. I would to find a pic of it before the saw came out!

Davits are a pain on a broads boat, poke peoples eye out if stern moored or prevents you stern mooring if boat/dingy attached and unless you have a water tight cover over the tenda/dingy they fill up with water with dire consequences as drain hole gets blocked with leaves. John

These two drawings were among the paperwork handed over to me with the boat. I have heard mention of the Santa Caterinas before and Santa Margherita but never Gipsy? 

To further add to the mystery: the drawings refer to port and starboard bunks in the aft cabin, but the Owl has a single double bed. I'm just loading a Youtube video but it's taking for ever.

DSC_1367.JPG

DSC_1366.JPG