Harvey Eastwood 37

floydraser

46 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

I guess from the amount of stuff on board she was being used as a live aboard. Hope the lady isn’t homeless now :default_blink:

Looks like you have a fair bit of work ahead. 

I helped her load her stuff onto her back and sent off down the tow path, she's probably made it to the Falkirk Wheel by now.:default_icon_evil:

Or.. the dream of living on a boat didn't work out after 12 months so she's moved back on to dry land in Swindon. We've stayed friends though and I've promised her use of the boat when it's ready.

If I hadn't bought the boat it would be a Glasgow student live aboard by now!

20 minutes ago, JawsOrca said:

Excellent.. looking forward to this! The hull certainly looks like a broom 37 hull. The top looks pretty cool though I hope you get and keep it watertight though.

Please keep us all updated with the progress!

Thank you. I keep getting quoted "Broom Ocean 37" for the hull. All I know is that I find it very easy to manoeuvre.

I'm taking advantage of the weather and nipping over again tomorrow and Wednesday to take some decent record photos, among other jobs of course.

• Thanks 1

On ‎05‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 09:31, floydraser said:

Ok stand by your beds!

Here is the first of around 4 million questions and I'll start you with an easy one: What the Dickens is going on here then? Or when is a davit not a davit?

It looks like it's done this way for a definite purpose.

IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0209.jpg

IMAG0210.jpg

Is this what it would have looked like (bottom photo)? (from Broadland memories)

norfolkfair81_eastwood.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, chrisdobson45 said:

Is this what it would have looked like (bottom photo)? (from Broadland memories)

Close but no cigar. I've just been over for a couple of days and had a more intense look. The Owl's davits have a centre support and the round bar is a solid, heafty beast of a thing. Interesting article though, thanks for posting.

Also Chris, I found an orange ankle bracelet under a front bunk, any ideas who it may have belonged to? Funny place to keep it; probably came off in a moment of passion.:default_biggrin:

On 05/10/2018 at 09:26, floydraser said:

You may well have heard an almighty sigh of relief sometime on Wednesday afternoon around Brundall Gardens.

The trip from Bowling to Clyde Boatyard went as well it could, given we were both (myself and the previous owner) relative novices. I was particularly bothered about the whereabouts of an 11,000 tonne fuel tanker "Songo Emerald" which was also using Rothesay Dock. Luckily it had gone by the time we travelled; I just didn't want to meet it in the river!

The lift went really well on Monday, wait for the video.

On inspection at Brundall the ship's bell had pulled it's screws out of the woodwork and the fridge had tried to escape it's orrifice. I thought that was the only damage until later when I went to fill the kettle and the water went horribly brown! I guess the lorry driver was in a hurry.

This boat handles like a dream and we thoroughly enjoyed our little cruise between the boats in Brundall Bay and then out onto the river. I am no longer a Broads Virgin! That was my first time and although just a tiddly trip, I can already see the appeal of the Broads. We got her into the marina and a very nice chap helped us get her moored up, then it was off to the pub. We walked the mile back to The Yare where I had dined before, then we collected the vehicles. BTW have you seen the "double moon" at the Yare pub? Find it on Google Streetview.

Back at BGM we gave her the first of many washes, fitted the cover and all of a sudden it was 5.30. Next trip will be a thorough inspection and high quality photographic session, and the start of a very long to do list.

The pic shows her on a temporary mooring; she'll be moved along one place to starboard when the other boat moves.

After the trauma of the move it feels like the fun is starting.

IMAG0207.jpg

Floydraser,  you can almost see my boat from your mooring :default_biggrin:

On 02/10/2018 at 19:34, floydraser said:

Is this an earlier one? I notice the different hull (the bow shape).

I also note the sloping woodwork at the rear of the canopy. The Owl has that but it looks like a bad DIY job close up, where Seraphina has an open, steel track. I'm really looking forward to sorting this canopy conundrum.

The Owl also has a continuous guardrail so I wonder if they all made to customer specs?

Yes, this is one of the originals. The later version with split deck was built on an Aquafibre 37 GRP hull, which is the version you have.

19 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Yes, this is one of the originals. The later version with split deck was built on an Aquafibre 37 GRP hull, which is the version you have.

Ah, I'm not qualified to argue but I have heard mention of the Ocean 37 hull by Broom? Are they the same?

15 hours ago, floydraser said:

Close but no cigar. I've just been over for a couple of days and had a more intense look. The Owl's davits have a centre support and the round bar is a solid, heafty beast of a thing. Interesting article though, thanks for posting.

Also Chris, I found an orange ankle bracelet under a front bunk, any ideas who it may have belonged to? Funny place to keep it; probably came off in a moment of passion.:default_biggrin:

Hmmm, when I was "in my prime" ankle bracelets were a thing of rarity...

2 hours ago, WherryNice said:

Yup same thing(basically anyway), I dont know the all the ins and outs but I think Broom owned Aquafibre......

I think you`re right, the Ocean 37 had quite a high freeboard, and the GRP hulled Eastwoods Caterina`s had what looked like that same shape and high freeboard,  but with a step down by the rear cabin.  I said before, i think (though not 100% sure) the timber hulled ones had a slightly narrower beam, but only by a few inches.

I wonder how a Glaswegian student live aboard compares to the liverbords that used to pitch behind the waterfront in Norwich, I was told that an ex hire cruiser worked out less than three years rent back in the late eighties early nineties, must have been old woodies past their best but what a wonderful student digs to remember for those bold enough to take the plunge.

Here are the latest vids, split into 2 because of the 15 minute rule for Youtube amateurs:

Part 1 will be along later, it's about the move and will take a while to nail together. Towards the end of 2b there's a look at the stuff covering the deck and I would be interested to know exactly what it is if anyone can identify it?

Along side the pump out tube there's a 3/4" rinse tube which needs replacing, can anyone suggest the best place to shop?
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

So all things considered I think I have a plan, but I can't make up my mind whether I'm indecisive, or not.

I have resigned myself to the fact that whatever the wonder coating is on the deck, it's all got to come off. This is because the wonder has worn off, it leaks but now holds moisture underneath. So then I'll dig out the old caulking but before taping and re-caulking I want to seal the wood underneath. My first thought was epoxy but I'm now reading about other sealants I've never heard of. Can anyone advise please? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

I realise I'll have to make something to feed the slots without spilling all over the teak, but that could be the easy bit!

DSC_1383.JPG

Have a look at this video which is really one of the best on teak deck refurbishments and how to use a multi-tool to remove old caulking without damaging the surrounding Teak:

Something I think I will need to do next season on Independence.

Your updates, write ups and videos are great too :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Have a look at this video which is really one of the best on teak deck refurbishments and how to use a multi-tool to remove old caulking without damaging the surrounding Teak:

Something I think I will need to do next season on Independence.

Your updates, write ups and videos are great too :)

Thank you for the kind comments.

There are quite a few videos on caulking and I agree this is one of the best. I will take on board his way of doing it but I just think there is an opportunity to treat the top of the old timber underneath while the seams are open. 

• Like 1

Gearbox enquiry:

Please excuse the very shaky video; it was shot with my phone in a remote location where I couldn't see the screen. I am trying to establish if everything is OK in the gearbox department of the Owl. The manual handed over with the boat says it will be a Borg Warner or Meadows. I'm pretty sure it's a Meadows but niether box is shown with an "open" dipstick? They both have a dipstick integral to the filler bung. Would anyone here know if this is an issue? 

There is clean oil up to the mark on the dipstick and she engages Ok, although reverse can be noisey. There can't be much wrong but I'm inexperienced and thinking long term. 

Thanks.