• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

floydraser

Harvey Eastwood 37

Floyd. I don’t know if this may be relevant. I have been coming to the broads since the late sixties and remember  how striking these boats were. We were moored in Great Yarmouth one year when one of these craft (Don’t know which one) misjudged the bridge height and hit the canopy with sufficient force that it turned right over and was left hanging off the back of the boat.

17 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Floyd. I don’t know if this may be relevant. I have been coming to the broads since the late sixties and remember  how striking these boats were. We were moored in Great Yarmouth one year when one of these craft (Don’t know which one) misjudged the bridge height and hit the canopy with sufficient force that it turned right over and was left hanging off the back of the boat.

Thanks for that Graham. Knowing my luck, this'll be the one! Here's an old pic of her taken at Bowling, on the Forth & Clyde Canal where I found her; the evidence shows she must have been in Yarmouth for a period of time.

I wonder if she would have had the rail and full davits back then.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

Hi Floyd.  If you google www.postcardsfromthenorfolkbroads.net   Select page 5 and there is a picture of Santa Catarina as it was in approx 1966. After the write up is a copy of the hoseasons holiday catalogue advertising it for holiday hire.

3 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Hi Floyd.  If you google www.postcardsfromthenorfolkbroads.net   Select page 5 and there is a picture of Santa Catarina as it was in approx 1966. After the write up is a copy of the hoseasons holiday catalogue advertising it for holiday hire.

Thanks again. I've actually seen that before but it's amazing that every time I look at that page I see something "new". I'm sure mine started life as a Caterina but this time I've spotted a wash hand basin in the rear cabin. I recently found blocked off hot and cold water pipes heading towards the rear but assumed they went to the rear toilet compartment. 

So to carry on then...

The top poo pipe wasn't blocked after all, but there was stuff in it! Liquid stuff. Luckily the bungs I made did their job and there was no mess. The removed pipes (waste and rinse) were coiled and bagged twice for the journey home. Actually the new 5 litre bottle of polyester resin stinks more than the poo pipe and has to stay on deck!

It's a lot more comfortable onboard at night now with the new saloon lights although I still cheat at the local Travelodge. And I wish that were half as filthy as it sounds.:default_norty:

This happened again last Saturday night. On Sunday my Brother in Law came over and I was very grateful for the extra pair of hands. The 9 metre length of new pipe was coiled and cold, so when I removed cling wrap it just stayed coiled. Should have done it in the summer? This snake did not want to go through the bulkheads and under the upholstery! It was a bit more tame after I had shortened it to 4 and 5 metres but the hard work had been done by then. The 4 metres was for the “clean” bit for the pump out and the 5 metres for the mucky bit from pan to tank. You can only suggest I should have cut it first if you have NEVER cut anything the wrong size!

During these operations I found that I can move the tank by hand so there's not much of anything in it, thank Goodness.

I also managed to fit a couple of the plywood closing panels on the outside where I had removed rotten stuff.

There was nearly quite a gathering of forumites in Brundall on Sunday!

I had arranged to meet Old Berkshire Boy at the Yare to look at a cooker and fridge he has up for grabs, and while we were stood standing there London Rascal happened by. OBB introduced us but why do you always meet people when you are unshaven and scruffy? Strange they didn't hang around much after I told them I'd just changed the poo pipe?

But while I was round there JanetAnne came round to the Gardens but missed me. Shame, but nice to meet OBB and LR, maybe next time for JA.

The work continues, but slowly....

• Like 3

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

So to carry on then...

The top poo pipe wasn't blocked after all, but there was stuff in it! Liquid stuff. Luckily the bungs I made did their job and there was no mess. 

There was nearly quite a gathering of forumites in Brundall on Sunday!

I had arranged to meet Old Berkshire Boy at the Yare to look at a cooker and fridge he has up for grabs, and while we were stood standing there London Rascal happened by. OBB introduced us but why do you always meet people when you are unshaven and scruffy? Strange they didn't hang around much after I told them I'd just changed the poo pipe?

But while I was round there JanetAnne came round to the Gardens but missed me. Shame, but nice to meet OBB and LR, maybe next time for JA.

Unshaven and scruffy? Thought that was your weekend look :default_biggrin:

Well talking poo pipes can kill a conversation, still nice to meet you, face to name and all that.