Harvey Eastwood 37

floydraser

Floyd. I don’t know if this may be relevant. I have been coming to the broads since the late sixties and remember  how striking these boats were. We were moored in Great Yarmouth one year when one of these craft (Don’t know which one) misjudged the bridge height and hit the canopy with sufficient force that it turned right over and was left hanging off the back of the boat.

17 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Floyd. I don’t know if this may be relevant. I have been coming to the broads since the late sixties and remember  how striking these boats were. We were moored in Great Yarmouth one year when one of these craft (Don’t know which one) misjudged the bridge height and hit the canopy with sufficient force that it turned right over and was left hanging off the back of the boat.

Thanks for that Graham. Knowing my luck, this'll be the one! Here's an old pic of her taken at Bowling, on the Forth & Clyde Canal where I found her; the evidence shows she must have been in Yarmouth for a period of time.

I wonder if she would have had the rail and full davits back then.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Graham47 said:

Hi Floyd.  If you google www.postcardsfromthenorfolkbroads.net   Select page 5 and there is a picture of Santa Catarina as it was in approx 1966. After the write up is a copy of the hoseasons holiday catalogue advertising it for holiday hire.

Thanks again. I've actually seen that before but it's amazing that every time I look at that page I see something "new". I'm sure mine started life as a Caterina but this time I've spotted a wash hand basin in the rear cabin. I recently found blocked off hot and cold water pipes heading towards the rear but assumed they went to the rear toilet compartment. 

• 5 weeks later...

So to carry on then...

The top poo pipe wasn't blocked after all, but there was stuff in it! Liquid stuff. Luckily the bungs I made did their job and there was no mess. The removed pipes (waste and rinse) were coiled and bagged twice for the journey home. Actually the new 5 litre bottle of polyester resin stinks more than the poo pipe and has to stay on deck!

It's a lot more comfortable onboard at night now with the new saloon lights although I still cheat at the local Travelodge. And I wish that were half as filthy as it sounds.:default_norty:

This happened again last Saturday night. On Sunday my Brother in Law came over and I was very grateful for the extra pair of hands. The 9 metre length of new pipe was coiled and cold, so when I removed cling wrap it just stayed coiled. Should have done it in the summer? This snake did not want to go through the bulkheads and under the upholstery! It was a bit more tame after I had shortened it to 4 and 5 metres but the hard work had been done by then. The 4 metres was for the “clean” bit for the pump out and the 5 metres for the mucky bit from pan to tank. You can only suggest I should have cut it first if you have NEVER cut anything the wrong size!

During these operations I found that I can move the tank by hand so there's not much of anything in it, thank Goodness.

I also managed to fit a couple of the plywood closing panels on the outside where I had removed rotten stuff.

There was nearly quite a gathering of forumites in Brundall on Sunday!

I had arranged to meet Old Berkshire Boy at the Yare to look at a cooker and fridge he has up for grabs, and while we were stood standing there London Rascal happened by. OBB introduced us but why do you always meet people when you are unshaven and scruffy? Strange they didn't hang around much after I told them I'd just changed the poo pipe?

But while I was round there JanetAnne came round to the Gardens but missed me. Shame, but nice to meet OBB and LR, maybe next time for JA.

The work continues, but slowly....

• Like 4

1 hour ago, floydraser said:

So to carry on then...

The top poo pipe wasn't blocked after all, but there was stuff in it! Liquid stuff. Luckily the bungs I made did their job and there was no mess. 

There was nearly quite a gathering of forumites in Brundall on Sunday!

I had arranged to meet Old Berkshire Boy at the Yare to look at a cooker and fridge he has up for grabs, and while we were stood standing there London Rascal happened by. OBB introduced us but why do you always meet people when you are unshaven and scruffy? Strange they didn't hang around much after I told them I'd just changed the poo pipe?

But while I was round there JanetAnne came round to the Gardens but missed me. Shame, but nice to meet OBB and LR, maybe next time for JA.

Unshaven and scruffy? Thought that was your weekend look :default_biggrin:

Well talking poo pipes can kill a conversation, still nice to meet you, face to name and all that.

• 2 months later...

I would like to claim some talent for getting this boat back to within a mile or so of where it was built, but I can't; it was all a happy accident!

I started by looking for the closest marina to the Midlands and BG is just about it. I read through the reviews and some of them weren't very complimentary but I think they were quite old. I'm not sure when the major refurb took place (but hopefully Mark will be along in a minute to clarify) but if the reviews were posted before then, BG could apply to have them removed. I must remember to mention it to them sometime.

I came over for the day  and checked out BG first. Karen was in the office at the time and she was very helpful and welcoming. Then we chatted for ages because she used to visit a place in Leicester where I used to work. The first thing I checked out was the toilets which came up to spec. 

As an aside though, the loos have individual timer switches for the cubicle lights; you press the button then after a while the light goes out and you have to press it again.. if you haven't finished! What I want to know is, who decides how it takes for the average person to do a No.2 and what did they do to find out?:default_coat:I would like to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting where that was decided. Maybe there's a British Standard for it? No, we'll have to stick with European Poo Time until the end of the transisition period...

Sorry, I shouldn't type late at night.. Anyway, I liked the mooring and spoke to a very friendly local on his boat there. I had to decide fairly quickly for fear of losing the boat to a live aboard student in Glasgow. I then nipped round to the Yare for some lunch before driving home. Since taking the mooring I've found just about everyone is very friendly and being close to the bank I get a lot of passers by who like to stop and pass the time of day. I love it! 

There is very little noise during the day. I don't mind the big diesel trains but they all stop at night anyway. I think the Type 37's(?) are being phased out anyway. At night I love the silence. Just one time there was a hen party in the holiday cottages but that's all.

I was also fascinated by the history of the place and found this:http://www.brundallvillagehistory.org.uk/maps.htm

Looking down the jetty from the back end of my boat I can just see the thatched cottage which is pretty much all that's left.

If I was really picky I could say the black ash like stuff in the car park is a pain in the wet. I watch the forecast and usually only come over in the dry but this time of year needs must. It's quite fine and sticks to your shoes, and then to the boat carpet if you forget!

So yes, I love it at BG and will hopefully be there for a while yet. Haven't tried the other pub yet, and isn't there a new italian restaurant in Brundall?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, floydraser said:

. I'm not sure when the major refurb took place (but hopefully Mark will be along in a minute to clarify)

Im here :default_biggrin:

I took a mooring about 8 years ago in front of what is the new house, when it was a rough patch of waste land and the power supply was a bit hit and miss.

Since Sam has taken over the changes have been amazing. All the original moorings were replaced and upgraded. The marina was extended about 4 years ago and new power, water and tv  posts were installed throughout. Wifi is available throughout the site.

Last year the moorings in the basin by the crane were all replaced and the slipway is being renewed at the moment.

I understand the shower block and laundry are next for replacement.

They supply proper marina trolleys.

The ash on the carpark is not ideal but they have fitted mesh to all the walkways to help and to prevent slipping even though they jet wash the walkways  at least twice a year.

For me, the best thing about the site are the gardeners, they maintain the grounds to a high standard and when they have time, they build a bench or create a quiet spot.

This is a great example of someone having the commitment  to the Broads to invest several million in providing first class facilities and providing employment.

No i am not on commission :default_biggrin:

• Like 3

Yes! Those damn buttons in the khazi! Also, the doors fit so well that, when the light goes out, it is total pitch blackness! Very disconcerting having to raise up to press said button during your moments of ablution!

I also fondly remember hours and hours of nattering and arguing with "Dinger"! We had almost diametrically opposed views on life generally and, especially, on politics and trade unions. Interesting times that I do miss! Hope he is still around and well trotting around with his stick. You hear him coming before you see him!

10 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Dinger has finally retired and moved to Yorkshire.

Really? His daughter often used to visit and they were clearly close. Has he gone in her direction?? Surprised with the Yorkshire bit, he used to take the wee mercilessly about my Yorkshire ethnicity!

9 minutes ago, VetChugger said:

Really? His daughter often used to visit and they were clearly close. Has he gone in her direction?? Surprised with the Yorkshire bit, he used to take the wee mercilessly about my Yorkshire ethnicity!

I'll leave this to Mark because I never knowingley met this guy, although I'm starting wish I had!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, psychicsurveyor said:

Sorry for the highjack. :default_biggrin:

It's not really a highjack, besides, I'm joining in!:default_biggrin:

I'm trying to think of characters I've met who would fit the description. Was he here last summer? There was a portly chap (see, I can be polite!) with a 34 footer and a Jack Russell who could talk for England. His boat was behind mine a bit further along the jetty.

4 hours ago, ranworthbreeze said:

......... the responses should be in a civil manner by all parties. 

Not always easy but 'should' is the operative word here :default_dry:!

To the above I would add 'respect'. Once again not always easy, especially when it's undeserved, but nevertheless it is still desirable.

All in all, and perhaps I am as guilty as anyone, some folk have a confrontational sometimes abrupt manner. It's the way some folk are, at least on line. Snide comments have crept in lately, wholly unnecessary, in my opinion. Some people will excuse it as being down to earth! Whatever, I just wish that members would accept such mannerisms, even when they don't like them. 

In a nutshell, let's all be nice to each other :default_beerchug: !

And so back to the delightful moorings at Brundall Gardens.

Here endeth the lesson according to St Peter!

• Like 5

6 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

All in all, and perhaps I am as guilty as anyone, 

No perhaps about it Peter. I wrote somewhere that maybe some people should write their posts somewhere else and then sit on them for a while and contemplate. I know that's not always practical at the speed some of these threads move but it would help, especially with some subjects which some people feel passionately about.

I was going to reply to Alan's post but I'll do it here to your face as it were... I was going to point out that I drew attention to one of your posts in the other thread which many people would say was childish. There was a response from the mods. But since then you have made other posts equally so with no response. I was going to ask that the mods take care to be consistent with us new boys as well as the old.

"It's the way some folk are.." Yep, and the mods know the way you are, and now they're learning the way I am.

No offence intended.

• Like 2

Anyway, back to the story...

As she was built around 1970 I have been trying to keep the saloon and deck looking as she should for that period. So while visiting antique dealers it gives me something to look out for. I have already invested in a cigarette lighter of the period and I've been keeping my eyes open for an ash tray. I don't smoke by the way and never have as a regular habit, but it's about the boat and the era, not me! So today I found this in a local dealer's place we've never been to before..

Ash Tray1.jpg

It's still dusty here but I'll clean it up and give the teak oil treatment and it should match the lighter perfectly!:default_eusa_dance:

So here's the latest episode. I hope it takes your mind off the storm Ciara battering we're all getting right now. Unfortunately though, I think everyone has taken to the internet and speeds are drastically slow around here in the Midlands. It's taken ages to upload although it is 23 minutes long this time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1