News Papers

Chelsea14Ian

On our recent holiday,like most years we stopped at Stracey. I asked if she had any news papers.Sorry we have stopped,due to the fact they have increased the price to deliver to us.The same at stokesby.

Yesterday marina asked the owner of our local corner shop.The only papers she sells The Sun and the Times,no magazines .The same reason.Okay for many years paper news has declined, however I like many like a paper certainly magazine. Right now been reading  EDP Norfolk mag.Perhaps I can understand a shop owner deciding not to sell papers because they won't get A good return on there money,but my local shop in town something to me says perhaps the charges are to high.

They stopped selling newspapers for the same reason at the shop at Ranworth staithe earlier this year, although I think recently they have started to sell them again.  Not selling them at Stokesby and Stracey is proper inconvenient.  The only time I actually have time to read a newspaper is whilst afloat

Griff

At one time I had a riverside shop and sold newspapers, initially I made 20% which then went down to 10% and then 0%, that was 40 years ago! I was then charged a delivery charge which I passed onto the customer. At that time I also freelanced as a photographer and writer, the local newspaper paying me quite well so I was content to sell their papers at no profit. However the fees were cut until they too ceased, the paper relying on vanity writers. I stopped selling newspapers! 

• Like 2

I worked for twenty years on four different national newspapers, both left and right wing. They all had one thing in common - we'll print the truth if it suits us and doesn't affect sales. That was 30 years ago and I very rarely buy one now and certainly never when on holiday.

I don't read them also stopped buying after Hillsbourgh .my local shop has stopped selling daily newspapers simply because it's not financially viable - the supplier in his case w h smiths who also dictated amounts and have removed all sale or return unlike the service the big boys get like tesco

finny

• Like 1

15 hours ago, finny said:

I don't read them also stopped buying after Hillsbourgh .my local shop has stopped selling daily newspapers simply because it's not financially viable - the supplier in his case w h smiths who also dictated amounts and have removed all sale or return unlike the service the big boys get like tesco

finny

I'm not sure the Sun ever WAS a 'newspaper'. :default_norty:

• Haha 1

I have been reading the Gracie thread. It states there that we shouldn't be afraid to have a different opinion, that other members are tolerant and other opinions make for good discussion ( not verbatim)so relying on the above I will, against my better judgement add my comments.       I love newspapers and have done since I was a young teenager. I worked for one for a couple of years when I was 18+. We buy two newspapers every day, one of which we subscribe to. This one is not always readily available but because I have already paid for it then I will often go the extra mile to obtain it. I love the feel of newspapers as I do books. I love the challenge of the crosswords. When on the boat, we will  cruise for a time  then stop sit surrounded by food, coffee, books and newspapers. Do I sometimes wake up with newspaper pages all around me? I have to confess I do. Do I believe everything I read? No because "information" is usually greater than the space available therefore editing can / is biased. I hardly ever read adverts  (or watch on television). I have no interest in articles about "celebrities" attending functions not what they are or are not wearing. I am not going to name the publications I am referring to,  as I feel I may be running out of your tolerance, and I do quite like being here'

• Like 4

Well I enjoy sitting down with a newspaper and a cup of coffee! Whilst you need to keep a very open mind these days, it’s one way of keeping up with what’s going on in the outside world. Admittedly there can be a load of twaddle. 

I used to pick up a paper from Stokesby and Stracey Arms and enjoy a look around the stores, usually coming out with things I didn’t know I needed. Now I don’t bother going in unless I really do want something. I doubt I’m the only one who used to do that so maybe those stores are losing out in the long run. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vanessan said:

A question as I am genuinely interested, where do those of you who don’t read newspapers get your news from? Do you rely on tv or radio? 

You see....this is a case in point, I have just spent over an hour writing and deleting stuff to respond to this post in a way that would make my point but not offend anyone. I give up now. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

• Sad 1

I read Guardian online, and BBC Web sources mostly with a trawl across USA & French outlets. We do buy the i fairly often and I pick up Metro if travelling. Sadly I am an obsessive Beyond 100 Days,  Politics Live, and Andrew Marr Show viewer, if anyone has a cure, I'd be grateful.......

16 hours ago, vanessan said:

A question as I am genuinely interested, where do those of you who don’t read newspapers get your news from? Do you rely on tv or radio? 

Wow Vanessan, You've been quoted a lot with that one. :)

There are many ways of picking up the news, with (in my opinion) newspapers being one of the least reliable.

Picking on another thread where a TV news item would say "The European otter is being re-introduced to the Norfolk broads", perhaps you will permit me to couch the headlines as I believe the newspapers would report it.

The Times...   "The European otter is being re-introduced to the Norfolk broads"

The Financial times..  ."The European otter is being re-introduced to the Norfolk broads at a cost of £1,372,100.50".

Daily Mail... "Tens of millions being spent reintroducing the otter to the Norfolk broads."

The Daily Express... "Vicious otter to be released in family holiday hotspot."

The Telegraph...  "It appears that the otter has been absent from the Norfolk broads and is being re-introduced"

The Guardian..   "The ueropean toter is being re-introduegd to the Norfolk Boards."

The EDP...   "The European Coypu is being re-introduced to the Norfolk Broads.

The Mirror... "Millionaires playground pays for rare mammals to be  introduced."

The Sun... "Wow! What a cutie. This water's just getting otter."

So Vanessa, now do you see why I don't often buy a newspaper?

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

I dont have papers, never have had, I occasionally used to read the national geographic magazine that filtered into the house third or fourth hand, but the other point is that I avoid news channels on the radio and tv too, and online, though I do occasionally pick up on the headlines when I have the radio on whilst travelling (though I prefer a good audio book)

So does most of the news pass me by, yes it does, I dont want to hear most of it (if the little I do hear is any indication) most news is telling us about what some so called celebrity has done (I dont watch that kind of program either, its quest or talking pictures for me in the main) I dont follow sport, and most of the rest of the news is about some disaster or war or other, which if I hear about will just make me depressed. so do I feel out of touch with the world - no, not particularly, the main topics are discussed around the office at work, so I do get to hear about them second hand I suppose, but other than that, I just get on and live my life.

• Like 2