News Papers

Chelsea14Ian

Thank you to those of you who have answered my question, it just goes to show how different we all are. Well, we knew that anyway didn’t we? :facepalm:

I think MM’s post sums up newspapers rather well and that’s the point - we know and accept (maybe we shouldn’t) their individual eccentricities and faults but still some of us like to read them. I wonder how long it will be before the paper newspaper disappears altogether, not too long by the sound of things. 

Shame that Wyndham couldn’t find a way to respond, I’m sure nobody would have been offended. 

The point  I made at the start of this thread was,for what ever reason companies have increased there fee to shops to supply newspapers.I understand fully some shop keepers feel the price is to high.Since other forms of news such as social media news channels etc.Papers are not as popular now.Still I like many want a paper now and again.Is everything you read true?no even people in high office will make fake news.Like most people I get news from lots of sources,then make up my own mind.

My thoughts (for what they're worth) are that the price of the paper is normally printed on it, and has not changed for a goodly while. the newsagent can't really charge more than that price.

Sadly the price of diesel and other vehicle running costs have soared, so margins are now gone.

30 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Maurice,I don't know must be a company such as menzes or Smith's.Taking to the lady at Stracey and the chap at stokesby the charges had doubled .

I think that’s right, Simth’s and Menzies belong to ANMW - Association of Newspaper and Magazine Wholesalers. So between S & M (see above, don’t think anything else!) they are probably killing the newspaper industry. 

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

I always thought the old use of newspapers was the best, they always kept your fish & chips warm:default_norty:

Regards

Alan 

Those were the days, fish and chips has never been the same since they stopped using newspaper to wrap them in. Vinegar soaking into anything else just isn’t the same! 

All these uses for newspapers that have been mentioned, however are we going to do without them?

5 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

My thoughts (for what they're worth) are that the price of the paper is normally printed on it, and has not changed for a goodly while. the newsagent can't really charge more than that price.

Sadly the price of diesel and other vehicle running costs have soared, so margins are now gone.

I don’t know about that, we’ve experienced 5 price rises on paper in the last year, and it’s now 60% more expensive than it was 2 years ago. Paper prices are dictated by the mill that supplies the pulp and over the last couple of years several mills have closed and a couple have had “industrial accidents” (they burnt down, make of that what you will) but trust me, paper is definitely a lot more expensive than it used to be!

22 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Sorry James, I didn't put myself clearly there. I was not talking about the price of paper, but the price of a newspaper, and as I said, the price is normally printed on it.

Sorry, my bad! I think I probably also misread your reply!