Beccles Quay Returned To The Town After 44 Years

Meantime

I like the Lady Mayor's "soundbites" in the EDP, I hope the town council will live up to them. Beccles and it's Yacht Station is one of the nicer 'town moorings' on the broads, a little bit more work to do (toilet, shower block), but it sounds hopeful for the future, we'll wait and see... :12_slight_smile:

May be they will now reinstate the river bank moorings and replace the bank headings and mooring posts which was supposed to happen two years ago if they haven't spent the money on other things. the whole area is in need of some T L C,they have done one side of the harbour perhaps the other side and river bank with electric points would greatly improve the area and increase the visitors, and if the loaves and fish were to reopen it could end up the best visitor spot  on the broads. John

Toilets and showers are still somewhat "medieval", which would suggest that, despite the good intentions of Beccles Council, the showers and toilets have not been subject to any restoration, refurbishment or TLC. I would suspect that, at the present time, the Council do not have the funds available for such a refurbishment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, socrates said:

Toilets and showers are still somewhat "medieval", which would suggest that, despite the good intentions of Beccles Council, the showers and toilets have not been subject to any restoration, refurbishment or TLC. I would suspect that, at the present time, the Council do not have the funds available for such a refurbishment.

The whole point of starting this thread was to raise awareness that the quay has now been returned to the control of Beccles Council, having been the responsibility of Waveney District Council for the last 44 years!!!!

Now that it has been handed back to Beccles Council, hopefully we will see some improvements. Let's not condemn them, or their finances before they have had a chance to improve things!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Did they ever get around to refurbishing the toilets, does anyone know, please?

Hi John,

Sadly no, the last time we visited early in the year they were still as disgusting as ever.

There was talk around five years ago that a new toilet shower block was to be built with access to boat users using the yacht station, using key codes.

Tan and other ladies that come on the boat will not now use these  facilities.

Regards

Alan

9 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

The whole point of starting this thread was to raise awareness that the quay has now been returned to the control of Beccles Council, having been the responsibility of Waveney District Council for the last 44 years!!!!

Now that it has been handed back to Beccles Council, hopefully we will see some improvements. Let's not condemn them, or their finances before they have had a chance to improve things!

I am not condemning, merely describing the current state of the showers and toilets. My suggestion about the finances are based on my knowledge of the financial pressures experienced by the majority of councils in this country. Despite their best intentions, councils of all political persuasions are severely restricted by financial restraints. As someone who visits Beccles on a regular basis, I look forward to improved facilities. 

On 02/10/2018 at 12:43, socrates said:

I am not condemning, merely describing the current state of the showers and toilets. My suggestion about the finances are based on my knowledge of the financial pressures experienced by the majority of councils in this country. Despite their best intentions, councils of all political persuasions are severely restricted by financial restraints. As someone who visits Beccles on a regular basis, I look forward to improved facilities. 

Though I welcome the Lady Mayor's fine words and would love to see her wishes come to fruition. I too, have more than a little scepticism that facilities which are used seasonally and generally by visitors to the town, rather than residents, is likely to find itself way down the list of the town councils priorities. But, we can live in hope (rather than expectation)... :34_rolling_eyes:

On 02/10/2018 at 12:43, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi John,

Sadly no, the last time we visited early in the year they were still as disgusting as ever.

There was talk around five years ago that a new toilet shower block was to be built with access to boat users using the yacht station, using key codes.

Tan and other ladies that come on the boat will not now use these  facilities.

Regards

Alan

We were there last month,the chap at the YS,said there is plans to up date the loos and showers.Also other work due to take place.I like many hope there is improvement,it's long overdue. Always like going to Beccles,but apart from the new pathway it needs some work doing.