Broad Beam Barge on the Broads?

Chrissy

I am looking at having a broad beam barge on the Broads.Does anyone have a barge on the Broads?Are there any restrictions on this type of vessel and where would I find the relevant information?Any help or advice would be appreciated thanks.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Polly changed the title to Broad Beam Barge on the Broads?

Hi Cris yes there are, please define a barge,usually 70plus feet long and 15ft plus wide, or do mean a wide beam canal boat, ok to live on but restrictions on sailing,that's why you don't see any,  the person to speak to is peter who lives on a barge  at the Waveney River Centre.John

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrissy said:

I am looking at having a broad beam barge on the Broads.Does anyone have a barge on the Broads?Are there any restrictions on this type of vessel and where would I find the relevant information?Any help or advice would be appreciated thanks.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Welcome to the forum  

,think my friends have the answer.There are a number of long canel boats on the broads.

Ian

• Like 1

The maximum dimension to navigate without restriction is 46ft long by 12ft 6in beam. You cannot exceed 46ft length but can increase the beam with restrictions on navigation incremental to the increase in beam. Upto 14ft you can navigate most of the main rivers but not the tributaries and dykes from them, and not the rivers Ant or Chet. Above 14 foot beam then parts of the main rivers become prohibited as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

A few years ago there was a large dutch barge active on the Waveney  and Yare it would be seen regularly in Beccles.  Im not sure if he is still around but there certainly are a few barges using the Broads.

There are at least three barges frequenting the Yare and Waveney at the moment. I think I know which one dnks34 is referring to and, yes, he is still a regular at Beccles. 

• Like 1

I think these widebeam barges are really nice craft a real home on the water but I don’t think the broads mooring situation (unless mainly permanently moored on a private mooring) is up to having a lot of these large vessels out and about permanently. The 45ft rule can’t be fully enforced as there are a few new additions much longer around Brundall area as I have noticed.

Sorry to be a bit negative but good luck with your idea and let us know how you progress.

John

• Like 1