Doctor Who

SueH

I've been a big fan of Dr Who since I was small enough to hide behind the sofa. My favourite doctor? Has to be David Tennant. Great actor, great scripts. Will I watch the new series? Nah. The reason? It was the little missive from the show's researchers telling us how they will be using the show as a 'vehicle' to 'teach us a correct perspective of history'. Er...no. Was I bothered by the regeneration as a woman...nah, old hat, been done before in the previous series. Same old, same old. Now make the doctor black, asian...or even ginger...that would have put the cat among the pigeons! 

For the science fiction buff, there are some far better films and TV series about to hit various screens in the next year. There's Bird Box from the novel by Josh Malerman. Directed by academy award winning director Susanne Bier it's a  'post-apocalyptic movie that follows the story of a woman and a pair of children who are blindfolded and have to survive 20 miles of a river using only their other senses.

One of my favourite science fiction books of all time is getting the film treatment. Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke.

Stargate is going to be relaunched!

Meanwhile in TV series land...

I'm looking forward to the UK release of Castle Rock. A whole host of Stephen King characters lumped into one series!

Good Omens..the bungling of Armageddon by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, starring Michael Sheen and David Tennant.

The Lord of the Rings TV series...will they butcher it...again?

Currently in production is the War of the Worlds, set in Edwardian London...looks good!

Outside of Scifi, I'm looking forward to the television adaptation of Umberto Eco's novel 'The Name of the Rose' into a mystery series due out in 2019.

So...to be honest, the world of Geek is looking fine and dandy without the BBC's best efforts. 

You all did know I'm a geek? Just checking...

1 hour ago, smellyloo said:

So people are quite content that the Doctor is an alien, has two hearts, travels in time and has re-incarnated more times than his fictional character is meant to be able to. But to regenerate as a woman is apparently in-appropriate?  :default_icon_e_confused:

I was more annoyed that the doctor has suddenly become a Northerner .... everyone knows she/he was a Londoner. 

Could have been worse, the Doctor could have become a menopausal  'ginger' with attitude!

Whilst the actor in the lead role will always grab the headlines for me of equal, or even greater importance is the change of writer. Steven Moffat has been replaced by Chris Chibnall for this series so it will be interesting to see where that goes. Moffat was responsible for some of the best episodes of Doctor Who, including in my opinion the best ever, "Blink", during the David Tennant era. Interestingly, the Doctor hardly appeared in that episode as Tennant was busy doing other work.

Chibnall has worked on the Doctor Who franchise before with Torchwood and won acclaim on series like Broadchurch, so he should know what he's doing.

• Like 2

There was a plan to have Dr Who appear on Star Trek new generation,  but various business deals stopped it..It may yet happen one  day in the future  or is that the past...

the Daleks merge with the Borg now thats an enemy..