Locks Inn

BITTERNBOY

1 hour ago, Jayfire said:

Shot going through Beccles, it sounds like a gentle Sunday morning stroll through my neighbourhood that, I do hope you are referring to a camera shot Sir 

No, one of the shotgun toting winter residents JF :default_icon_e_surprised:

You should try it up here in flat cap land, the sawdust on the pub floor is last night's furniture :default_norty: 

1 hour ago, Jayfire said:

I'll have long gone by the time you are around

Ah, as Mrs Nog pointed out, we're like the SAS - you never know when we might appear :default_biggrin:

14 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

No, one of the shotgun toting winter residents JF :default_icon_e_surprised:

Ahh I see.

They dont bother me, makes it all feel more homely :default_biggrin:

You should try it up here in flat cap land, the sawdust on the pub floor is last night's furniture :default_norty: 

Be afraid Mr Nog, I'm closer to you than you think Mr Nog (insert atmospheric, tense background music and shifty shadows in the background) :default_norty:

Ah, as Mrs Nog pointed out, we're like the SAS - you never know when we might appear :default_biggrin:

Well going on your usual blog timing I'm thinking you'll be ok........ Just :default_rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

They have given me the following info,

Hi Jay! 

We’re really excited! Can’t wait to see you.

This Friday, we expect to be open from 5!

Going forward, we will be closed on Mondays

Tues-Thurs we will be open 4-11

Friday 4-12

Saturday 12-12

Sunday 12-10.30

The spring/summer opening hours will be available nearer the time!

Can’t wait to see you.

• 1 month later...

We popped over to The Locks today to check it out - they have been doing some decorating,  but it's all stripped out and looking very sterile and bare at the moment. I think I read elsewhere that the old artwork and photos that adorned the walls are in storage and will be coming back out at some point. I hope so, as it is somewhat soul-less and empty.

The main entrance is not being used at present, the door to the right is now the main entrance and the handpumps are on the little bar out there. Keg beers line the back wall behind the old main bar. Naturally, it is all Grain beers ..... although some of the prices are a little eye watering for a brewery owned establishment. The kitchen is currently closed for refurbishment (until Easter I think she said), just a cheese board on offer for anyone wanting food. I have to say, I've never seen the Locks so quiet on a weekend lunchtime - just one other couple who (like us) had one beer and left, and a couple of walkers who came in looking for a meal.

It will be interesting to go back when we are afloat in a few months time and see what has been done with the place as it is very early days. The slightly worrying aspect is that they are tagging the Locks as being a "gastropub" on their own Facebook page. The Locks has been the way it was for an awful lot of years, and I'm not sure that trying to push it upmarket (if that is the intention) will work in that location. They have a new chef who will be previewing his skills via a BBQ next Saturday apparently. It would be a real shame if the place lost the special character it had, but we'll wait and see.

On another note ... it's nice to see that some restoration work has been done on the lock itself. Pictures below.

Carol

locks_jan19_01.jpg.dbeb72c4c520d783c589e0e5fd535be4.jpg

20190119_131508.thumb.jpg.f6167d9513551c502ba3c977a906b18d.jpg

locks_jan19_03.jpg.4136eb305ec391436e416c8560798a5f.jpg

locks_jan19_04.jpg.03ecc32e518989634b2bb99ccaf868c8.jpg

locks_jan19_05.jpg.a7ffaba118f1cd8f1245decce62c75e1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I think The Locks has always struggled due to its location in the Winter, but to add to its woes The Wherry has become much improved aver the last 18 months or so and the food offering there was suburb last Summer. I'm glad The Locks has a new lease of life, but I was never a great fan of Grain beers which Colin switched to after he couldn't sell Green Jack. Will wait and see what the food is like once the kitchen refurb is complete and off course the location during the season will always be a draw, but I can see more frequent walks down the lane to The Wherry and my visits being split between the two more than they used to be.

I wonder if there is any plans for music / entertainment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AdnamsGirl said:

The slightly worrying aspect is that they are tagging the Locks as being a "gastropub" on their own Facebook page.

Ohhhhh dear!

Where will us posh folk who want to slum it go now? 

I would hope that The Locks remains as The Locks rather than being turned into just another 'okay yar' gastropub.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Ray said:

A bit of a tangent but it's a good while since we took a boat down that way, how is access and is there much in the way of mooring? Would like to take a look later in the year.

Sadly Sweetkingfisher is to high to get under Beccles bridge,however Alan did it once.I don't want to take the chance however.Depending on the sizes of boats,you can get about four maybe five boats there.We took a day boat there last September. What I would say head down there early.

• Thanks 1

Whatever they "tag it" they should be careful. The Locks has a history and a charm all of it's own. Lose that and they will lose it's main draw. The food there was always good quality and reasonable portions, and were basic fare with quality twists, this is a typical case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it ."

I have lost count of pubs that I used that have updated their "business model" to compete with other pubs in the area, only to see a fall in their custom because they're all the same. If you have a unique pub and it's doing well, don't bloody change it!!!

Having said all that, the pics look like a restoration job rather than an updating, I really hope that that's the case. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Ray said:

A bit of a tangent but it's a good while since we took a boat down that way, how is access and is there much in the way of mooring? Would like to take a look later in the year.

It’s always a lovely and worthwhile cruise from Beccles to The Locks or Geldeston Dyke, whichever you choose. Moorings can be limited at The Locks as it is popular with canoeists who tend to congregate there. Sometimes they pull their canoes ashore but not always. As SK said, timing is crucial and you need to arrive as others leave in the morning - not the easiest thing to do! I would say steer clear of weekends as lots of ‘locals’ head there. If you find no room, you can always head back to Beccles and moor at the Lido moorings, two hours free so enough time to visit the town for a beer or two. 

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

I used to be very "in to" the kit car scene, including the annual kit car show at the NEC. As a teenager I was always adamant that I would build myself a Litton Corse (Lancia Stratos replica). Alas the factory closed in the late 90's and even tatty examples are now fetching big bucks. They are becoming almost as sought after as the cars they mimicked.