Constellation 3?

webntweb

There's an ex-Chumley & Hawke Constellation for sale on Apollo Duck. Based in Cambridgeshire.

Internally doesn't look much like the Constellation I hired a couple of times in the 60s.

Think it must be No 3 as the build date is stated as 1965.

Asking price £55,000. I suppose for about the same again you could restore her to her former interior.

Grown a bit as well. Back in the day Constellation's were 36ft - this one is 38ft.

Roy

Constellation 1 became "Mister Toad" which I was a cats wisker from buying until the survey! She was priced around £25k and reduced to £4K, sold and, I think, removed from The Broads. Was a lovely layout for a cruiser of that size and I was really smitten!

Hope Craig does not mind the loan of a photo!

Mister Toad.jpg

• Like 3

I remember speaking with the builder of all the boats at Chumley and Hawke and I asked why the difference internal on each one. He said he built the first then when he did the second one made some changes and then made some more for no 3. He did the same for all the boats he built for them. When a new asked once if there were any drawing and he said yes in my head.

I don't think there was much difference in the layouts of the Constellations but the Caravelles definitely had two different layouts; one of them having an extra single cabin in the bow.

Interestingly although the Caravelles were a couple of feet shorter than the Constellations they were 6 inches wider.