Ahoy There!

Alkemist

Hi everyone.

So right off the bat I’m going to be totally transparent about why initially came here.

I need help. Not mentally (although some may beg to differ) but with a cruiser we’ve just bought...(yes we are new at this)

and the reason I’ve chosen this forum is because it’s a Weston 670 and I gather they were/are popular on the broads?

Anyway is has a crack in the cockpit sole which is terrifying and I can’t find out much info on the build/specs etc so need someone I who knows a bit about floors/hulls/stringers. We have gone from super excited at our first boat to despair after uncovering it.

I will obviously post in the right section when I get more time but in  the meantime can I just say that I was thrilled to have a good look around the forum last night and see so many subjects covered that we have questions about and so this is now more than just needing help. I hope it’s also about making some new friends/meeting like minded people.

Looking forward to getting to know some of you. 

Bye for now

• Like 1

Hi All.

Thank you all for such a warm welcome...yes photos, of course. Didn’t intend to do this here but ok hold on a sec....

Ok that seems to be uploading.

It’s taken midship(?) and has around a cm or so of water underneath. There is mushy compost in there (rotten ply?) and I fished out a flake of what looks like fibreglass but with a wood grain pattern and a notch on one side. Perhaps this is a thin coating of glass to the underside of the ply? I hope so rather than the hull flaking ?. Am scared to poke finger down too hard incase it goes through the hull!

Toward the stern I uncovered a hole (post production) about tennis ball size through the sole which then goes through a thinnish (3-4mm) layer of fibreglass) into what I now understand to be ballast (concrete/stones/pebbles)

The hole in the ballast is 2 inches deep and filled with brownish water, a washer and a £2 coin (which I can’t bloody reach ?)

I’ve managed to manually (whale) pump out this water twice over two days (1/2 bucket day one, 1/4 bucket day two) 

The boat has an ‘aftermarket’ hard top with an attempt at ply doors rather than canvas and although the roof seems dry, the gaps in the doors aren’t. She also suffers from condensation and a number of other bits that allow rainwater in (we bought her during the heatwave and she seemed dry as a bone,  of course)

Rumpunch - Currently on Sonning (Thames) but hoping to move her nearer to home (Avon and Kennet)

erm...in light of the above disclosure, am I still allowed to be on here??

kind regards 

Alk

767E117E-BE08-4A0B-A37E-54768CB42A51.jpeg

If it's ply, then I'd say its nothing to do with the actual hull - but I'm not an expert! For a fibreglass hull to fail, for any reason, it would have to be catastrophic. So don't panic, Cap'n Mainwaring! I think it will turn out to be cosmetic, rather than structural.

Did you have any sort of survey done? Out of the water?

• Thanks 1

My gut feeling is that she needs to be out of the water & dried out. It looks like you have a grp floor that is supported on plywood that is now saturated thus useless. Once dried out I would probably cut out the floor & rotten plywood and simply replace. Sounds drastic but is a simple job for a competent DIYer. As she's an old boat I would use epoxy resin such as West System products. Important thing is get her dry before doing the work. Please understand that these are just my thoughts based on the information supplied.  

Although I know the boat type I did check on Google and I'm not convinced that Westons were ever hugely popular on the Broads, not that that matters. It's not an unheard of problem, I have a 1978 built boat and all the ply supports, even where they couldn't get wet, have decayed and I have had to replace them all over recent years. I wonder if there is a Weston Owners Club? Such clubs are generally hugely helpful.

There used to be a Weston on Oulton Broad, one with an outboard well which was relatively low to the water. Come springtime moor-hens used to nest in it! 

Re the floor, it could well be a false floor so to speak but I suspect/guess that it also offered some support/rigidity to the bilges and bunksides as well as being waterproof. I wonder if the internal molding was originally in one piece?  As Polly has suggested seek professional advice, that could be money well spent.

Hi everyone.

Thank you for your input.

Regulo - no survey. We looked at it twice and both times I looked for squishy floor/bad motor/general neglect etc and took a bimble down the river at full chat both times. People seemed legit, floor felt hard  (but was laminated flooring over fresh ply and now I know why!) outboard is a Honda four and the overall feeling about her was good. The only thing I didn’t like was that the steering felt loose and I was having to adjust almost constantly to go in a straight line but having ridden jet ski’s before that were wobbly at low speed I wasn’t hugely concerned and she did stabilise a tad at top speed.

She only cost us 2750 and we didn’t feel we were taking too much of a risk for that money despite the fact that it is a big chunk of our savings. We are a young(ish) family with young children and initially set off down the caravan route as holidaying abroad has become prohibitive finanacially. Even Butlins et all is 2k plus. After seeing so many boats along the beautiful canal near our house we knew it was for us!

Now, the kids are keen to have a ride but safety is paramount so I won’t even begin to entertain that until I know it’s safe.  it’s hard disappointing them especially as they have been in it once already.

Anyway, we knew it was a fixer upper (at least in terms of new window seals, furnishings and general updating including some electrics etc) and making it our own was part of the attraction but never expected a full on project.

I made the classic newbie mistake of assuming a fibreglass hull boat will always be fine. I am a DIYer and knew f/g is tough/waterproof stuff that doesn’t rot. Stringers though I have only just learned about...especially the fact that they rot and affect the integrity of the hull.

Jenny...my gut feeling matches yours and I hope this is all I have to do. Some other posters online suggest boats of this year and size only used wood to glass over and give shape which is where the hull strength really comes from.

I’ve  looked online for specs/info on Westons hull design etc but there is very little info. And no Weston owners groups I’m afraid.

I did come across this though which led me to you guys. It even shows ‘Supe’ in her former glory...

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=7333&BoatHistory=12252

oh and another reason I thought 670’s were popular up there on the Broads was because most of them for sale seem to be your neck of the erm...waters.

( I did have some colourful search results come up when searching for ‘uk cruisers forums’ ?

thanks again all and cheers Polly!

Alk

• Like 3

Steering a boat isn’t as positive as a car so a play from lock to lock isn’t unusual.

Given your concerns, a lift out and time to look into the problem seems wise. Proper boat lift/transport guys should know how to take her out without squeezing the hull.

Good luck with the work, and make sure the kids wear life jackets? 

• Thanks 1

Is there any reason why she should not go to her new home by water? If it's possible, and it could be fun, take her home and arrange for her to be hauled out and stored for the winter, but makes sure that DIY is allowed on site, some places want to do all the work and charge a mouth watering fortune for doing so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

She is currently on Sonning near reading and mooring is on K&A canal near Newbury (you’ve no idea how long this took us to find!)

The mooring is private and although secure..is just a pin.

So my next move was to get her to the mooring just by myself which will likely take a whole day. If anything goes wrong I am a confident swimmer and will take my life preserver. 

In the meantime, I am asking around for somewhere ‘hard’ to put her which isn’t easy around these parts. If we are lucky and find somewhere, it will mean getting her to Newbury Marina slipway and hiring a trailer for a day then blocking her on the hard over winter then take a good look without the worry of cutting through anything that may spring a leak! ?

If if we can’t find anywhere soon then she will end up staying moored on K&A and we may get a cover for her to stop anymore rain getting in.

Lj’s for kids yes, already planned. So was a day on the canal during half term ? 

I will post a pic of the hole/ballast area when I get a chance. I work in farming so it’s difficult to find time to get up to where she is during daylight! 

Determined to get that £2 coin too!

Alk

Edited by Alkemist
Spelling
  • Like 3