Advice, Please

Hi Ray The trick is to get the wood smooth, then vacuum of dust i then apply a thinned with terps first coat this sinks in and gives a better key may need two, depending on wood and how old then build up with several coats with flattening before last coat, all on dry still days, you may want to water the floor to stop dust rising after last coat go home, or pub but away from job, admire next day not the same day. John

• Like 3

Now you have opened a can of worms 

Put 30 regular varnish users together and you'll get 30 different answers to that one

Never a truer word spoken.  My method for what its worth (Not much to be honest):-

Positively loads and loads of preparation finishing off with a 120 paper.

1)  Hoover off with good old Henry with a brush fitting. (Btw - I had to get a new Henry recently, my last one got married  -  It stopped sucking!)  Wipe down with white spirit on a lint free cloth, allow to dry.  1st coat, Ravilakk thinned down 50 / 50 with genuine turps.

2)  Denib with green nlyon pad (I used to use 0000 wire wool but I find nylon pad produces less swarf), Henry, white spirit/cloth, allow to dry,  Ravilakk/Turps 60/40.    3)  Repeat 70/30.    4)  Repeat 80/20.    5)  Repeat but with full strength.    6)  Last coat, full strength Brava varnish.

'Freshen up' any time 'Down the river' as and when required but flat off with 120, Henry, White spirit cloth, 1 x coat full strength Brava

Now I will point out here that the above method is not the correct way or the incorrect way but works for me and I'm happy with the method / results.

All other tried and tested methods are of course way inferior done by wannabe amateurs  :default_icon_liar:  :default_rofl:   :default_coat:

Griff

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Ray said:

So my plan to use an angle grinder and a domestic foam emulsion roller is probably a non starter you think..... ?

:default_biggrin:

I'd go for a fairly fine disc on the angle grinder - it keeps the sparks to a minimum :default_biggrin:

Foam rollers are a good idea though. The 'gloss' rollers are excellent for getting product on evenly and then just 'laying off' with a brush.

This is rolled and laid off - about the third coat here so the shine is just starting to appear

IMG_3409.thumb.JPG.acf1c55c74dc0dc297e3491b76c82eca.JPG

• Like 1