New Boat From Herbert Woods

NorfolkNog

Mmmmm, interesting stuff. I think its true that hirers expectations are greater now then in the past. That's why the 'Big Four' are all busily building luxury craft. I imagine kids want all the comforts of home too.

Regarding the electric toilets - most Swancraft boats had them and we could go for 10 days in winter without a pump out (judicious use of shore facilities as well). It must be down to the holding tanks.

The trouble with microwaves is that they are battery flatteners. They draw tremendous current. Again Swancraft had generous battery banks and good charging systems so, no problem. We used them sparingly and ran the engine when using them. We get a microwave on Freedom of Light in February but rarely, if ever use it, mainly due to lack of space. They are certainly not an essential.

As long as a boat has a decent heating system and good batteries and charging I'm quite happy. Oh and a hob for a cuppa! :default_biggrin:

• Like 4

I guess I fall into the ‘newer hirer’ catergory, this year being my fourth on the Broads, and I’m still (just) under 40 years old.

For Ems and I, the choice is a week on a Greek island/Balearic island/Cyprus (delete as applicable) or a week on the Broads, we’re both mid-late 30’s, no kids, and we want to have a nice week away, Omega has supplied that perfectly for the last couple of years, but, we now want a treat, it is a holiday after all.

I’m not fussed about microwaves or satellite telly, but I do want a proper bed and you know what, a flushing toilet is more agreeable to me than a jabsco. Personally I think HW are seriously bold offering this for 6, you only have to look at the Broom’s own hire, but without the 2nd cabin, it’d make quite the cruiser for a couple.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

People who book these boats are wanting an experience. They expect to see all the extras that will enhance their stay onboard. You have a microwave at home - why would you not expect to see one on a boat? Also the 240v thing is not just to power the microwave, it's so people can take their gadgets with them - just like they would if staying in a cottage. 

But a boat is a boat, not a cottage!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DAVIDH said:

People who book these boats are wanting an experience. They expect to see all the extras that will enhance their stay onboard. You have a microwave at home - why would you not expect to see one on a boat? Also the 240v thing is not just to power the microwave, it's so people can take their gadgets with them - just like they would if staying in a cottage. 

Not in my home David.

We had one for my youngest son because of the hours he work, this he never used and in end he gave it away.

Each to their own I guess but I regard microwaves with contempt preferring food cooked and having a natural taste.

Regards

Alan

So Herbert Woods have been shopping at Brooms then. I agree, David, 240 volt and a microwave isn't a big ask. I'll be interested to see the interior photos of this one when it's complete. On the toilet thing, I think a single toilet on a 4-6 berth is a mistake. Expectations have moved on from what they once were and personally whilst I'm happy to "utilise on shore facilities" when I have the opportunity, I don't expect to have to do so or avoid using the toilet on the boat. With a single toilet and even with a crew of 4 let alone 6, you might need a pump out every other day. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Six people on this boat,you may need in that case two microwaves.My boat a Alpha 29 built 1991,no mod cons,but has more space then the Brooms mould sleeps four in comfort and it has a half bath in the rear cabin. 

Yes well as my old Mum used to say -   All top show and no knickers.  If you will excuse the expression.  :default_blush:

You all keep saying no 240 volt.   Well the Captains have 240 volt, in fact they have only 3 pin sockets around the place and USB ports.    Cannot imagine this boat not having 240 volts.

The boats I've seen under construction seem to have tanks fitted under the decks. From the photo of the new HW boat (and presumably the Broom) there doesn't seem to be much in the way of a side deck so I wonder if space limitations might dictate a smaller holding tank? 

Had a look and yes it has shore power , thought it would have.         As for the holding tank being in the sides of the boat - well you could hear the water going down into the tank under the galley so I doubt that.     Be good for anyone in the second cabin, especially anyone with water works problems.    :default_pirate:   I should imagine there would be a queue for this one loo.    

Out of interest Brooms are open Saturdays and Sundays for pump outs and water until end October.

10 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Had a look and yes it has shore power , thought it would have.         As for the holding tank being in the sides of the boat - well you could hear the water going down into the tank under the galley so I doubt that.     Be good for anyone in the second cabin, especially anyone with water works problems.    :default_pirate:   I should imagine there would be a queue for this one loo.    

Out of interest Brooms are open Saturdays and Sundays for pump outs and water until end October.

Hi Monica,

The Broom's fuel station will no doubt start their winter opening hours soon.

My guess is that Saturday should be OK with a finish time of 4.00 pm or earlier Sunday will be debatable if open or not.

We advise all of our owners to pump out and fuel up on Monday after lunch or first thing Tuesday morning.

Regards

Alan 

Microwaves are not a necessity on a boat but can be a ‘nice to have’ sometimes. The only thing I ever actually cook in a microwave is a jacket potato and then it has to go in a very hot oven for a short time to crisp the skin. (That way saves on gas use.) They do however come into their own when reheating food. I think a lot of hirers expect their hire boat to have one these days, even if it’s only to heat ready meals!

I suppose a microwave is like a bow thruster, you don’t really need one but they do come in handy sometimes! 

• Like 2

The one thing in my kitchen even at home, that I wouldn't feel that I had to replace if it failed, would be the microwave. The same is true in the caravan. It's a nice to have but not a necessity.

Now for me, my wishlist hireboat kitchen item would be a toaster! We have toast for breakfast every day and toasting it under the grill is a complete pain!!

• Like 1

Sausages in the oven, bacon under the grill, black pudding and hash browns in one frying pan, eggs poaching in the other frying pan, kettle on another ring, tomatoes on the last ring - microwave absolutely essential for the baked beans to complete my full English.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, webntweb said:

Sausages in the oven, bacon under the grill, black pudding and hash browns in one frying pan, eggs poaching in the other frying pan, kettle on another ring, tomatoes on the last ring - microwave absolutely essential for the baked beans to complete my full English.

Ok, I understood about the beans but the rest was far too technical for a young guy like myself. Ovens, grills, pans and frying pans you say? My mind is blown.

I'd have to find a lovely lady to come sort all of those complex cooking instructions out for me. :default_smiley-angelic002:

Jayfire - NBN forum equality champion :default_trophy:

10 minutes ago, webntweb said:

hash browns have no part in a full english , they are american, fried bread is english

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, webntweb said:

I could do the whole breakfast in one frying pan, though I need an oven to keep everything warm until finished.

• Like 2