New Boat From Herbert Woods

NorfolkNog

9 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Beyond that I'd add that if I were hiring one of these bling boats then I would expect a far higher standard when it comes to the infrastructure. Five star boats, I don't doubt, but the Broads in general is not. Long may the Broads remain as a popular rather than an elitist holiday and boating destination. 

I think that it's about the boat giving you a certain level of comfort while still wanting to experience the tranquility of the Broads. When you pay a premium, that's for the standard of your accommodation, not to expect anything different out on the rivers. Perhaps it's a bit like any other kind of leisure offering - you can choose one star to five star on any kind of holiday accommodation but that won't change the resort itself.

• Like 4

Ok having these huge boats but when they have had their 'day' what is to become of them.    Cannot imagine folk wanting to purchase one of those to take them through retirement years , they would never get on or off of them for a start.       It would not always be convenient to expect the family to join you every week you want to be off out and about on the rivers.     Bring back the smaller boats for 2/3.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hylander said:

DavidH - just looked at your website.      Very interesting, lovely photos.   However, the one of Captain's galley is nothing like the Captains we have been on.   Where it shows the hob the sink was.

Yes you are correct. Most of the images on the page are from Hoseasons but they did not have any of the kitchen area so I went to Brooms Boating Holidays site to look for one. The image is from their site believe it or not and also shows a microwave which I had not noticed at the time. Hoseasons have now uploaded an image of the kitchen which is as you say and no mention of a microwave. I guess Brooms used an image of a private fit-out whilst their hire boats were being built but forgot to replace it.

Captain-kitchen.jpg

We did have a microwave on both Captains 8 and 6.   The one time we used it we ran the engine to run the inverter.      One morning the heating came to a grinding halt and we had to run the engine to get that to come back to life.      Our batteries were saying 12.9 at the time and we thought there was plenty of life in them.  However on coming back to the yard we were informed that the heating is on a separate battery.   With all of these gizmos and gadgets on these latest boats it will be interesting to see how they cope.

we use lithium batteries on the RF45 for domestics, they charge quicker and give nearly 100% until they switch off. 

we put anything on the engine as you don't need a special battery to start a modern engine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Ray There's not much techniel  demand for boat batteries as they have plenty of space without any weight problems unlike a car whare space and weight are the main problems and with fast charging needs unlike boats whare cost is the main criteria followed by longevity, John

• Like 1

Yes fair point John, but it will probably be car technology that drives battery development for the leisure industry. the other route is to develop devices that require less energy to run them. LEDs have done it for lighting, now we need a microwave oven that gives 20 hours on full power using 3 AAA batteries. Ok, that's an exaggeration, but just look at what's been developed so far in the 21st century.

• Like 3

Hi Maurice Yes technology increases with leaps and bounds all though it, surprising that a battery NiFe that was invented in  early 1900 hundreds before the internal combustion engine was invented is still the most efficient pound for amps power sauce ie £0=22p per cycle, Lead Acid at £1=00 per cycle, compared with a AGM at £1=50 per cycle, it does have its size weight  disadvantage. This is the one i will go for if  build another boat ie a Hybrid which i think is the future . John

It's certainly the future, but the tech needs to come down in price.

Electric car batteries have halved in price and doubled in energy density over the last few years, but a 50hp Nanni remains a very cost-effective power plant and it can be 'recharged' in 10 minutes at any marina with a diesel pump.

I'd love to build an RC45 with a couple of 100KWh Tesla Model S batteries aboard and a 50hp electric power train. That should provide decent range and plenty of power for domestics but would likely cost half a million quid to build.

Packaging the boat would also be a very different proposition, I guess the main batteries would go under the cockpit and then the water tanks and other bits would need to go where the diesel powertrain was.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

I'm not convinced that for boating purposes that battery power is the answer, at least not yet. Was out fishing this morning when one of the new generation boats went past and quiet she was not. Perhaps a lower sound frequency than a modern diesel but it certainly had volume, indeed I could still hear it for some time after she had passed me. Had I been aboard then I really do think that I would have found the continual, tedious, low frequency whine/throb annoying. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

New moulding arrives at Herbert Woods 

IMG_20181113_150630.jpg

Saw that on IdiotsYouPretendToLikeBook earlier, Glistening Light 2.

Maybe it'll feature in a Quiet And Peaceful sometime in the future Mr Nog :default_norty:

On ‎21‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 23:17, JennyMorgan said:

I'm not convinced that for boating purposes that battery power is the answer, at least not yet. Was out fishing this morning when one of the new generation boats went past and quiet she was not. Perhaps a lower sound frequency than a modern diesel but it certainly had volume, indeed I could still hear it for some time after she had passed me. Had I been aboard then I really do think that I would have found the continual, tedious, low frequency whine/throb annoying. 

Don't worry in the US from 2020 all electric cars will be required by law to emit some kind of engine noise at low speed to warn pedestrians and especially the visually impaired of their presence. The EU is a little late with their legislation, but it is coming and will also include electric boats. At least all the boats will sound the same. I hear they are going to be using a sample of the engine in the old connoisseur boats.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, NeilB said:

Everyone will be deaf by the age of 25 !!

Nothing like the dawn chorus of the BMC Commander 2.5, played on a 5ft long wet exhaust with no silencer.

To say nothing of the clouds of white and blue smoke! And the rainbow colours of the fine slick which spreads slowly across the still waters of the mooring basin.

People nowadays don't know what they're missing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Hired an electric powered narrowboat on the Mon and Brec canal some years ago. Could just about make 2mph; the slightest bit faster and the whine from then engine was intolerable.

Fortunately on the Mon & Brec, 2mph is plenty fast enough for a return trip of the whole length of the canal with very few locks and a few lift bridges.

The canal really is a 'must do', running along the edge of the Brecon Beacons and for a lot of its length on a hillside above the river Usk.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, webntweb said:

Hired an electric powered narrowboat on the Mon and Brec canal some years ago. Could just about make 2mph; the slightest bit faster and the whine from then engine was intolerable.

Fortunately on the Mon & Brec, 2mph is plenty fast enough for a return trip of the whole length of the canal with very few locks and a few lift bridges.

The canal really is a 'must do', running along the edge of the Brecon Beacons and for a lot of its length on a hillside above the river Usk.

I thought that Canal had no locks or lift bridges or have I got the wrong one?

Glad you said that because at one time we toyed with the idea of doing that canal because it did not have locks and lift bridges.  I had enough of that on the Llangollen canal.     On visiting relatives in that area we have driven down past this canal through the Brecons,  sat on one of the canal bridges and had our lunch watching the world slowly go by.     It looked lovely.

On 21/10/2018 at 08:49, Hylander said:

Ok having these huge boats but when they have had their 'day' what is to become of them.    Cannot imagine folk wanting to purchase one of those to take them through retirement years , they would never get on or off of them for a start.       It would not always be convenient to expect the family to join you every week you want to be off out and about on the rivers.     Bring back the smaller boats for 2/3.

Interesting you say that but we are wanting to purchase an Alphacraft 35 Highliner in the not too distant future.

Finding one for sale will be the tricky bit.

We have no intention of keeping it on the Broads mind and it will be ideally suited for getting on and off where we moor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all agree with you about bigger boats for sale in near future,  families buying them not realising when spent lots of hard earned Money, kids get board leave home, mum & dad getting older left with a big boat not able to get on & off ,to moor up with out help & can't go under bridges,  all the extra money every year that comes with ownership,  

I wish boat companies would take into acc2the area their in when building boats , their now getting some lower Bruges to get under briges but the downside is longer boats ,less moorings for others 

The market for private boats is often for smaller 2 to 4 berth types. The folk who can afford a boat tend (not always) to be older and maybe want it for a couple and maybe grand kids occasionally. Certainly larger boats do sell but I suspect that when the bigger boats do eventually get sold off they will not command such a premium as the 2 - 4 berth types.

• Like 1