Decreasing Number Of Hire Boats On Southern Broads

Svenuk

Screenshot_20181029-101057.thumb.png.2cf82381637b8f8287eaa80877ba8fbe.pngUnless I live to be 100 the worst effects of the "Brain Corridor" as it is being called will not effect me. However apart from special fens etc. I had not realised that the plan is for 1 million new homes along the Oxford to Cambridge Expressway by 2050.

No I could not believe it either but that is what is being planned 1 million new homes. The knock on effect on Norfolk and Suffolk will be huge.

That clip is a bit disengenuous as the East West Rail link used to exist and for the most part still does, just a bit  missing due to Mr Beeching's and various governments lack of foresight got rid of it.

Similarly Most of HS2  uses the route of the Great Central Railway which was completed in 1899 to continental loading gauges in preparation for.... The channel tunnel, and again Mr Beeching and governments closed the liine  (most of it this time ) in 1966.

The Road from Oxford to The A1 is slower now than it used to be due the poliferation of roundabouts in the Bicester area..

The original plan for Milton Keynes was a city running from London to Birmingham between the M1 and the west coast main line. Like the shrinking of the MK plan, I suspect it's announce something huge then " listen to the people" and build something a lot smaller.... as they intended...

• Like 2

just had a look at the map and Finemere woods (with a group of others) are a piece of land roughly in the corner of the junction of the Milton keynes - Bicester railway and the old Great Central railway, both of which still exist and are used though not as much as it's planned to be..

I actually only put the clip in for the 1 million houses. 

I million houses along a dualled road in a North East direction from Oxford to the improved A14 means the end of Norfolk and North Suffolk as we know it. 

Frankly the Oxford, Bicester, Aylesbury amd Milton Keynes area is wrecked already. We will be next.

1 hour ago, ChrisB said:

I actually only put the clip in for the 1 million houses. 

I million houses along a dualled road in a North East direction from Oxford to the improved A14 means the end of Norfolk and North Suffolk as we know it. 

Frankly the Oxford, Bicester, Aylesbury amd Milton Keynes area is wrecked already. We will be next.

Nothing like looking on the brightside.    As long as they dont build motorways up here we will be fine.

Lets try and get this back on topic, or at least about boats, as I totally agree with the Freedom comment on modern boat cookers!! One of my pet gripes, the modern boat cooker is a complete waste of space, made primarily of pressed tin and virtually without any insulation and hardly any control over the temperature! What more could you ask for from the payment of £500!!!

In fact the obvious answer to this is to install an of the shelf gas cooker - all now have FFD on all burners and I can see no reason why you should not do this - except there seems a general conspiracy by manufacturers to supply or fit the different burners! Despite sales promises to the contrary most even deny you can even change the burners, talking to you as if you were an idiot, and then telling you that legislation does not allow these  cookers to be installed in a boat!! Yet I can see nothing to say they cannot although getting someone to fit one is another struggle.

The sooner we can ban "modern" boat cookers the better - realistically they are not fit for purpose IMHO

• Like 1

I can think of at least three members who will agree with me but there is only one company if you are a serious boater, for heating and cooking. Taylors! 

Origo were also pretty good until swallowed by caravan outfitters.

But Taylors last a lifetime.screenshot2016-08-23at10_01_29.png.19dc106b68e442d65377041928981d43.pngscreenshot2016-09-09at10_13_41.png.9300c445dfd0d4fad6500317c58bfeba.png

Back in the Seventies a gang of us had an old Vertue sailing boat that was fitted with an Origo petrol stove, wondrous affair that was! Lighting it was a dramatic experience, especially in a gale when we were on our beam ends. Whoever fired the thing up was bound to lose the hairs off the backs of their hands and from well up there fore-arms.  However, once alight it was the doggy's doo-dars, boil a pint seemingly in seconds. Condensation, what condensation?

• Like 1

The broads by its nature are a series of rivers, lakes, broads and marshland. The are very few places to build so called entertainment for people. Lack of mooring at Yarmouth,Norwich, Oulton Broad and most Riverside pubs is a subject the broads authority needs to address first. 

What sort of things are people asking for. As the broads tend to be empty during the cold months most entertainment venues suffer a few lean month's so it's most unlikely things will be built in the middle of nowhere next to a river. 

People who hire boats that want more do not see the downside of the entertainment industry. They would be better off going to a holiday camp thus leaving the broads to those that appreciate the peace and tranquility. 

Moan over

David

49 minutes ago, Svenuk said:

People who hire boats that want more do not see the downside of the entertainment industry. They would be better off going to a holiday camp thus leaving the broads to those that appreciate the peace and tranquility. 

Moan over

David

Thats the spirit. Anyone who has different pleasures than your self should just do one. If only everyone in the world was exactly the same, what a great place it would be.

Also, boaters should take themselves up to the lochs in the north of scotland, it is very peace and tranquil there i believe.

Sorted.

Neil

6 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

David

Thats the spirit. Anyone who has different pleasures than your self should just do one. If only everyone in the world was exactly the same, what a great place it would be.

I appreciate  that this comment was "tongue in cheek" and I very much hope David does too, and whilst I don't agree with Davids post, I feel more inclined to argue the post rather than demean the poster.

David, The availability of moorings, whilst partially a BA remit, is not totally so. If private enterprise wishes to start a waterside leisure facility, the BA should consider the merits of such a project and act accordingly. That may be by giving planning consent, or denying it, depending on the circumstances of that proposal.

People who hire boats but want more should realise their error of judgment. no more no less .

15 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I appreciate  that this comment was "tongue in cheek" and I very much hope David does too, and whilst I don't agree with Davids post, I feel more inclined to argue the post rather than demean the poster.

David, The availability of moorings, whilst partially a BA remit, is not totally so. If private enterprise wishes to start a waterside leisure facility, the BA should consider the merits of such a project and act accordingly. That may be by giving planning consent, or denying it, depending on the circumstances of that proposal.

People who hire boats but want more should realise their error of judgment. no more no less .

Hi MM

I certainly wasn't trying to demean anyone , it was tongue in cheek, a little dig at a post I didn't agree with .  Falling out , making enemies , is not my remit , especially on a forum like this . I've enough of that in real life :default_blink:

Another way to look at it , if an entrepreneur chooses to build a venue of some entertainment on the broads , and peeps who enjoy such a thing, choose to go in their droves, it then frees up a few more idyllic moorings  perhaps . 

Maybe I was being a bit precious , but  it was the old bug bear of " if hirers choose this" that pulled my tail :default_icon_redface:.

Anyway , no harm done hopefully, apologies if I came over wrong . 

Peace and love to all broads people :default_icon_kiss: :default_laugh:

• Like 6