Coffee Anyone?

MauriceMynah

I use a filter funnel machine most of the time I want ground coffee. We do have a lovely little stainless steel coffee expresso thingy like the ' Bialletti', it's no use getting aluminium on our hob, and anyway I don't trust the stuff. We also have a  swish Italian job that steams the coffee and makes expresso, but takes its time rather so I get that out once in a blue moon.n

We won't  buy a pod job on account of the waste pods.

Instant is Waitrose  Colombian Fairtrade, nothing else beats it for me. 

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Does anyone have any idea whatsoever as to why there is such a variation in prices for the hob top versions?

You'll probably find it's because most are generic no-name ones from the far east, whereas the more expensive ones are probably Bialetti ones (who invented the Moka Pot).

My other half is a coffee addict, so we have a Lavazza pod machine, numerous french presses (cafetiere), and a couple of the stove top Moka pots.

We chose to spend more on genuine Bialetti as we think they're better quality, and you can get spares for them easily (gaskets etc.)

Her current favourite is a stainless steel one, which is easy to keep clean, and works on all hob types.

Top Tip, fill the water chamber with boiling water, then heat the pot as usual, it takes way less time, and produces a better 'less bitter' coffee. I got taught that by an Italian Nonna.

• Thanks 2

Oh yes, Camp Coffee, Grandma always had that, yummy. There was, however a story.....

Grandma's First World War experience was pretty bad,; although Grandad survived severe wounds, she was unforgiving of 'The Hun'  and ran her own trade embargo ever after.

Cut to the 1950's and our neighbour, Gisela's mother was over to visit. This lady was 'The Hun' in Grandma's book, and spoke no English which was a barrier too.

One morning she staggered round clutching her throat and a bottle of Camp Coffee, Gisela was at work and, alone in the house, she had made herself a brew. The taste convinced her that she had poisoned herself and so had come for help. 

Grandma showed her her own bottle and they shared a sign language coffee morning. Teased by Dad later, Grandma remarked with dignity that she 'had decided to forgive her'. 

• Like 1