New Moorings

Colin Ross

In view of the loss of free moorings caused by either  greedy landowners or privately owned moorings at extortionate prices I would love to see more riverbank moorings. I'm not talking about steps,posts and wood chippings but a cleared area without overhanging trees and bushes where mooring spikes could be safely used.

Does anybody else agree?

Colin Ross

I would always choose a so called wild mooring by choice if one is available, especially those little spots where just one boat can squeeze in. But sadly no where is really "wild" - someone, somewhere owns the land. I have every sympathy for those with a small river frontage with a dwelling, clearly this intended for personal use and is literally private.

It would be great to have more places accessible on the edges of fields, farms, estates etc. Not with any provision by the landowner, simply a blind eye and a lack of 'No Mooring' signs.

GOBA lease and look after something like 25 moorings along The River Great Ouse, mowed and maintained by volunteers. It is a pity that the NSBA has not got a cruising section on it's lines. However The RGO has many wild areas especially down stream and on the Old River and these moorings are totally without faciliies so you must have a self contained craft.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Colin Ross said:

In view of the loss of free moorings caused by either  greedy landowners or privately owned moorings at extortionate prices I would love to see more riverbank moorings. I'm not talking about steps,posts and wood chippings but a cleared area without overhanging trees and bushes where mooring spikes could be safely used.

Does anybody else agree?

Colin Ross

Unfortunately  in todays society it would take a very brave and charitable landowner to do this without charging, the main issues would be public liability and litter plus some using it as a permanent mooring.

Fred.

As another ex gt.ousey type I have to agree with the credit given to goba for their moorings, it's the main reason I joined, some have been lost over the years due to being misused but most are still available and fairly well looked after but of course there are far less hire boats on the gt.ouse, that's not a dig at hireboats in general just that members tend to look after club assets better than visitors.