Richardsons Long Awaited Sedan!

We started the new build/ development 9 years ago on the 19th October,, since then we have had the sedan drawings based on a 35 foot hull, over the years we have learned that there is no point me having a set of drawings and instead the team have learned to guess whats in my head and come up with what they assume  i was thinking, this has worked well so far as if their ideas are better than mine then i can take the credit! 

This time we are going to build a sedan but we have started with what appears to be half a lego set, there is a a deck off a RL38 and the front off the RF45, the top has been suspended off the deck, split and  extended and the saloon tilted to change the screen angle 

this picture is the mock up..

IMG_1872 (2).jpg

• Like 8

its 38 foot long and should be a comfortable 4 berths without the 'coffin berths' 

I don't care if you are old fashioned because i know you will like the finished job as its going to be another cracking boat from us,!

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

its 38 foot long and should be a comfortable 4 berths without the 'coffin berths' 

I don't care if you are old fashioned because i know you will like the finished job as its going to be another cracking boat from us,!

Probably true Clive. of all your most recent builds, there's only one model I don't privately lust after, and that's just because I'm not fond of single level jobbies.

• Like 2

Hi Clive How will the ventilation work i love the practical merits of hopper windows for lots of air and know leaks,  BUT they aren't the most attractive solutions for boat windows,and air con on a hire boat is impractical. The new boat looks very attractive, well done you? you must be very pleased. Will you try electrice drive ,there has been some good improvement lately with brushless motors and digital control . John

Hi, 

Airdraft if looking to be about 8'4"

as for windows, bonded are best but the sliders are not always very big due to the amount of border they need, the hoppers we designed seem to be ok but we will see what we need and what works where, there is plans to have decent hull vents which we can duct to wherever needs be.. 

electric boats are not the future,  (yet!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, annv said:

i love the practical merits of hopper windows for lots of air and know leaks

Agreed about the windows, had a boat last year with all sliding windows and if you had them open and it rained the inside of the boat got nearly as wet as the outside.

Clive

Like the look of it, was hoping the airdraft might be nearer 8ft (thinking Ludham bridge when the water is high).  When do you expect to have layouts available to see and when is it likely to go on hire?

They will be !  All the engine manufacturers are starting to invest in the technology.
Looks like your building new dayboats as well?  
I think Clive's probably being realistic in that for the foreseeable future there is no point building electric boats.

The time will come, but they aren't practical as hire boats just yet...

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 2

we don't often have a problem at Ludham with the taller boats so should be ok, 

hopefully the first will be launched in time for the peak season next year,  so we are not taking bookings just yet, 

the daybooks should be electric, we are building 3 as we moulded a different 3 for a Thames fleet, the sheer line is a refit , all for Fineway. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

the daybooks should be electric, we are building 3 as we moulded a different 3 for a Thames fleet, the sheer line is a refit , all for Fineway. 

I wondered where Chris had got those from, now I know ! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldgregg said:

The time will come, but they aren't practical as hire boats just yet...

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Not as hire boats until the infrastructure is in place.  It will be hybrids first, they have been around for a while as one offs and people like Greenline, etc.  They will start to become more commonplace in around 2 to 3 years time and serial production is coming, followed shortly after by full electric.

• Like 1

Hi Clive I was referring to a Hybrid drive ie a small diesel engine running a generator (max efficiency) with a large battery bank with electric motor drive, with ability to be charged up over night with shore power or generator if power drops to low. most boat engines are to powerful most of the time, but you do need the extra power over say Brayden against the tide then back to 1/4 power to cruise with the tide, If i build another boat this s the way i will do it ,it looks very attractive with very low running costs and less maintenance with bomb proof controls, very like Hydraulic drive is without the power loss, and very green and silent. John