A Week On Bronze Emblem October 2018

YnysMon

I think Harry took some photos from the top of Hardley Mill. Will try to post some.

The guy that has restored it is elderly, and they had a problem last year which is preventing the sails from turning at present (when we passed in May the year before last the sails were turning). He’s had quite serious health issues over the last year or two, but is intending to address the issues, so I hope they get some younger volunteers to help out.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, YnysMon said:

I think Harry took some photos from the top of Hardley Mill. Will try to post some.

The guy that has restored it is elderly, and they had a problem last year which is preventing the sails from turning at present (when we passed in May the year before last the sails were turning). He’s had quite serious health issues over the last year or two, but is intending to address the issues, so I hope they get some younger volunteers to help out.

For £7pa, you can join the Friends of Hardley Mill. There is a website http://www.hardley-windmill.org.uk/index_files/friends.htm

There are a number of volunteers who run the site and the renovations and, if the wives are there too, they have some lovely homemade cakes. I think Hardley Mill is one of the nicest settings, a great place for stopping off and for good walks and views. Darn, maybe I should have kept quiet about it! 

• Like 4

On 26/10/2018 at 11:29, YnysMon said:

. . . . . . . He explained the mill must have started to lean whilst being built, because the level of first floor was adjusted to compensate, the second floor adjusted even more and the topmost courses of bricks straightened out so that the cap would be level. . . . . . . . . . 

In all of the times Ive passed that mill, Ive never noticed that it is leaning.  Senility, stupidity or blind - not sure which one applies.  I though I'd held my camera on the skew when I looked at the pictures I took of it a few weeks ago and saw the mill leaning!!!! Doh!!!!!!!?

Nice write up and photos Helen, glad you had a good time!

• Like 2