Calypso 28 For Sale

Calypso 28, circa 1974, originally owned and maintained by Richardsons.
The lay up is good and solid.
It had been in private ownership for 7 years before I bought her and 6 years with me.
 EllieKnight is in good condition for her age.
She was antifouled,  fully repainted and serviced over last winter.
New batteries this year,  240v calorifier, I have isolated it from the engine but it is an easy fix to reconnect.  warm air heating,  240v fridge and microwave.
The tv  is 240v but I have a 12v tv if required.
Holding tank with a manual pump toilet. New thermostatic shower mixer and basin with unit under.
Money has never been an issue in maintaining and upgrading her.
The engine is a Perkins 407 with hydraulic drive.  Very quiet when running. The  hydraulic drive was new 6 years ago when I purchased her.
The bed has been altered to provide a full 6' wide bed. New 240v ring  to rear cabin,  kitchen and engine bay for battery  charger and engine heater.
The saloon floor is teak and looks great.  The rear cabin is new flotex.  Upholstery is all excellent. Headlinings are all good.
Bilge pump monitor,  I have an extra winter cover in addition to the front and rear well covers.
The engine hatch is missing as it is in a Norfolk yard to be rebuilt. It had gone a bit soft.
Ellie knight is based at Yalding on the river Medway,  the plan was to use her for weekends,  unfortunately we have had to care for a very elderly mother in law for the last five years,  we also have a boat at Brundall that we runaway to whenever we get respite cover.
We are finding we have little time to use the Calypso and it seems such a waste.
I am looking for around 17,000 but I am happy to pay half the transport cost to take her home  to Norfolk if I get the asking price.
I am sure I have missed things,  but these are the main points.
EllieKnight is a nice comfortable boat,  if we had more time we would keep her.

Message me if you would like to see more photos including the hull out of the water. 20180407_161132.thumb.jpg.2138281214289239ff87fca9300afc29.jpg20180407_124437.thumb.jpg.ef904872243f352e2ac322bf5ba7559a.jpg20180407_124618.thumb.jpg.01c2da0b1beaf09b4db9b2a442339de4.jpg20180407_124719.thumb.jpg.9f83a79dcb3daee70a9b01bddeec6c1d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

She looks very smart Mark, better than others on the market.

is she an ex calypso king boat as they were all white?

good luck with the sale shouldn’t be about long even if it’s the wrong end of the season.

John

Hi John,  Thank you, she had an interesting shade of turquoise in parts,  :default_biggrin:

Good luck Mark, Having seen her I can certainly say she's a very good example. I do love the hardwood flooring you have there, it's a shame we missed that when it was on sale.  You might want to try ApolloDuck, it always seems to work well.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The lack of courtesy of some people never ceases to amaze me.

I showed a father and son around the boat on thursday,  they loved it,  it was getting dark so I offered to come down again on saturday to take them out on the river,  they jumped at it.

I comfirmed by text friday evening and again they replied eagerly.

At this point I delayed making an appointment for a guy who was coming some distance.

Saturday the appointed time came,  after 30 minutes and nothing.,

Phoned him and he cut the call,  text him and no answer.

No contact since.  It wouldn't have taken much effort for him to text and say he had changed his mind,  just bloody rude to not show.

I did manage to empty the boat,  how much stuff can you accumulate in 7 years,  the Jeep was full to capacity.

• Sad 6

8 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I couldn't agree more, but there is a bright side... at least we are both still amazed !    The day we accept it, take it for granted, or even expect it, then society will have hit rock bottom. At least, till that day, there is hope that these cretins might just learn and improve.

Good luck with the sale matey.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Don’t post his number in an open forum , much better to make an enquiry to a PPI company or two leaving his number as the contact , those companies are relentless and won’t give up 

A friend once put an advert in the local paper with my number on it for a laugh. 

"Toilet rolls bankrupt stock. 50 rolls for £1."

By day two we had to unplug the phone for a week and were still getting calls after that!

Just a thought....

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, JanetAnne said:

A friend once put an advert in the local paper with my number on it for a laugh. 

"Toilet rolls bankrupt stock. 50 rolls for £1."

By day two we had to unplug the phone for a week and were still getting calls after that!

Just a thought....

With friends like that !!! :default_icon_wave:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, quo vadis said:

With friends like that !!! :default_icon_wave:

I deserved it....  what happened was...

He bought a yellow (ish) Lada Estate. One night we nipped round and adorned it with the name of the local skip hire company ( stenciled in black paint and appropriately crooked for that authentic look of course) along with lifting hooks, a level fill line and 'no fires'then I think we filled it with black bin bags full of bubble wrap or something. The next day he came to work in his wife's car and a few days later the above mentioned advert appeared. 

• Haha 3

On 04/11/2018 at 23:08, psychicsurveyor said:

I showed a father and son around the boat on thursday,  they loved it,  it was getting dark so I offered to come down again on saturday to take them out on the river,  they jumped at it.

I comfirmed by text friday evening and again they replied eagerly.

At this point I delayed making an appointment for a guy who was coming some distance.

Saturday the appointed time came,  after 30 minutes and nothing.,

Phoned him and he cut the call,  text him and no answer.

No contact since.  It wouldn't have taken much effort for him to text and say he had changed his mind,  just bloody rude to not show.

We get this all the time; sadly it is very common and a major detraction to our job which is, essentially, to provide enjoyment to others. It is a real downer when people act like ****holes. 

Only last Saturday, we had a voicemail from someone who we felt we wouldn't want to deal with from the way he spoke, but called him back anyway. This proved to be a mistake. He wanted a rebuild of a BMC 1.5 and I told him that, sorry, but we were not taking on that kind of work at the moment. He then proceeded to argue with me, swearing and then put the phone down. 

• Sad 2

• 2 months later...

Deposit taken,  be sad to see her go but a boat that isn't used becomes a liability.

After taking the deposit within an hour I had two further messages looking to view. :default_biggrin:

I found the various facebook boat sales sites produced interest.

Going to a nice young enthusiastic owner to use on the Thames.

Quite a journey,  from the Broads to the Medway and on to the Thames and after on to the canals.

• Like 3

Andy's comment about swearing struck a chord with me. I can swear with the best of them, I grew up in a seaport, but not every other word, indeed for me to really let fly is near as rare as rocking horse do-do. So when total strangers start pointlessly swearing I do tend to step back from the conversation. I get the impression that some folk sincerely believe that in swearing it is a sign of friendliness! 

• Like 2

She is a very smart clean boat and I can't help but wonder if it would be worthwhile bringing her back and sticking her with someone like waterside to avoid mooring fees ........something tells me that in the right place she will soon be sold 

just my thoughts Finny 

13 minutes ago, finny said:

She is a very smart clean boat and I can't help but wonder if it would be worthwhile bringing her back and sticking her with someone like waterside to avoid mooring fees ........something tells me that in the right place she will soon be sold 

just my thoughts Finny 

That was plan B when I saw the state of  other Calypsos in Norfolk at a higher asking price. Sold for the asking price so I am happy and can do without the hassle of transport and registration for a possible,  maybe,  couple of grand more.

I lost three thousand over 8 years,  not bad for a boat
:default_biggrin:

Well looked after good clean boats sell very well in the right place Mark ,when I sold my Hampton I put it up for sale on a Sunday afternoon with riverside - he came took the photos talked the deal went away and we set off home .........I got a phone call before we had crossed the county line " Sold " and at full asking price 

my advice would be to try buy away from the broads but always sell on the broads 

you may get your three grand back :default_biggrin:

finny 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, psychicsurveyor said:

I lost three thousand over 8 years,  not bad for a boat
:default_biggrin:

We lost £3,000 over 10 years on what we paid but spent £15,000 on her.    You have to look at the holidays and use you got from the boat , otherwise you would not be very happy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sold close to the asking price,

Sad  to see her go,  a new life on the Thames awaits as a week day base for a tugboat worker.

The good news is I have one less boat to clean and maintain.

I found I had quite a few contacts via the Norfolk boat sales facebook site and a Kent equivalent.

• Like 3