Breydon Rescue

JennyMorgan

9 hours ago, Wonderwall said:

Glad everyone safe and sound. I wonder if the young cadet was sea sick?

:default_blink:  If the person in charge of the lead boat was a senior cadet it did'nt show much about his/her training?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

It also begs the question, where was the much lauded SOB in her guise as a rescue boat?

That aside Happy mentions 'lead boat'. Such groups/organisations do tend to have lead boats and more than once I have watched other lead boats get it wrong thus the whole flotilla has run aground. I did once,  nine or ten years ago, witness a large school group of five of HW's finest run aground, despite much waving and hooting from other boats. Daft thing was that we were in a sailing boat and because of our keels we do tend to stay in the deeper water, thought that might have been a clue worth considering by the lead boat, that and all the other boats that he presumably thought had got it wrong. In that instance everyone stayed on board and they were lead back to the deep water channel very early the next morning which must have been quite an adventure for the youngsters.

11 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

It also begs the question, where was the much lauded SOB in her guise as a rescue boat?

Well, I wasn't expecting THAT question!  :default_biggrin:  but I would hazard a guess that they thought it inadvisable to send a deep draughted craft to rescue a boat that had run aground in the shallow areas of Breydon. Also, much lauded by whom? You ??

Wonderwall, If the cadet had been seasick on a boat that had run aground, and on an inland body of water, then perhaps the navy ain't his best option. :)

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, MauriceMynah said:

Well, I wasn't expecting THAT question!  :default_biggrin:  but I would hazard a guess that they thought it inadvisable to send a deep draughted craft to rescue a boat that had run aground in the shallow areas of Breydon. Also, much lauded by whom? You ??

Wonderwall, If the cadet had been seasick on a boat that had run aground, and on an inland body of water, then perhaps the navy ain't his best option. :)

Much lauded by the higher orders within Yare House when buying her. Agreed that the SOB could not have gone into shallow water but she could have stood off in deep water in order to take casualties off the RIB.

Re the Navy, running aground is not unheard of by members of that fine institution. We must also remember that the Navy's finest, a product of Norfolk, Lord Nelson was prone to seasickness.

• Like 1

What a gross over-reaction (Once again ).

"“The Broads Authority remained on the scene throughout the incident with their boat River Dog assisting.”

Volunteer Helmsman and 3rd Coxswain, Rod Wells said “due to the remote location with a cadet feeling unwell it was deemed necessary to take them to the station where they could be met by the Ambulance Service.”

Did they have no 'Commander' of some kind present ? If so, why did he not take command ?

More impotantly, one would assume that the Sea Cadets would have adults with some boat handling skills  aboard .....

• Like 1

Why is it that boats that have taken to the mud on Breydon get "Rescued"? 

A boat is a self contained device that floats.. so in mud as long as it isn't damaged when it takes the mud it will float again when the tide comes back in and then can simply drive off, although it means the crew have to sit there for a few hours.. Surely all it needs is a shout over by SOB "All ok? you will be off again in x number of hours... enjoy.. dummy".. 

The lifeboats will quickly be pretty annoyed if they have to attend to everyone who runs aground on the east coast..

• Like 5

Let us not jump to conclusions Poppy.  All this thread is a result of an article in the EDP, thot journal famous for it's incisive, accurate and detailed content.

We just don't know enough to form opinions as to who, what or how the incident occurred. Even "where" could be open to question.

Jaws, What was the state of the tide when this took place? High water maybe?. Not enough info from EDP.

22 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Let us not jump to conclusions Poppy.  All this thread is a result of an article in the EDP, thot journal famous for it's incisive, accurate and detailed content.

We just don't know enough to form opinions as to who, what or how the incident occurred. Even "where" could be open to question.

Jaws, What was the state of the tide when this took place? High water maybe?. Not enough info from EDP.

Hello Sailor :default_norty:

All's well, that ends well... The EDP is not really known for giving particularly accurate or incisive information, on 'news' like this. But, no one was hurt, no boats were damaged and perhaps the Sea Cadets will have learned a valuable lesson from their mistake. I would imagine the Coast Guard and RNLI would have shrugged their collective shoulders and treated it as a 'training exercise'. Just another day on the Norfolk Broads really... :default_rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

We followed a group of Herbert Woods boats up the Ant on Friday   No sign of an adult on some boats only 12 - 16  year olds but the did all wear life jackets. 

Those boats came past us on Thursday when we were moored in Womack Dyke. They all (12 of them!) headed for the staithe. About 20/25 minutes later 4 other boats came past us heading the opposite way, maybe they anticipated their peace and tranquility disappearing! In the morning we walked up to the staithe, about 100 yards before we got there we heard a very loud booming noise. All the boats had their engines running in unison. I walked on up to the village and the engines were still running on my return to the staithe! Although all the HW boats were moored together, there looked to be one Richardson’s in amongst them and I felt rather sorry for the occupants. 

Moored in the Dyke, we had a boat behind us that ran its engine for a couple of hours in the evening. Normally engines running don’t worry me particularly but this boat ran the engine for two hours in the morning as well - then it left! I think that’s just taking the proverbial. :default_blush:

1 minute ago, brundallNavy said:

One of the boats that ran aground had suffered engine problems so cannot really fault them for running aground as the wind was quite strong.

That puts a different complexion on it then! Wonder what the engine problem was though? Most unfortunate for the Cadets. 

8 minutes ago, brundallNavy said:

One of the boats that ran aground had suffered engine problems so cannot really fault them for running aground as the wind was quite strong.

"Never go ashore with the hawse pipe full "  Any 'mariner ' should know that one - especially from the Grey Funnel line

The coastguard report onto the Breydon grounding states one of the vessels suffered a breakdown during a windy crossing. They were a flotilla of four vessels.

The Herbert Wood boats is an annual school trip @sgsBroads on Twitter if you want to follow their trip.

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 1

This is all speculation of course but it seems to have been a simple grounding. I note in the photo that mud weights had been laid ready for the tide to rise.

Hardly the first time this has ever happened!

One does rather wonder where the Spirit of Boredom was. I thought this was what it was for?

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

One does rather wonder where the Spirit of Boredom was. I thought this was what it was for?

Just a shame that the draught makes spirit of bullsh*t so completely useless in grounding situations seeing as that is the most common issue on breydon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We've been out on the rivers at the same time as the HW school group in October before now. Last time they were intent on squashing every boat in on the staithe at Womack Water. I can't tell you how glad we were that we were moored down the Dyke instead.

30 minutes ago, SwanR said:

We've been out on the rivers at the same time as the HW school group in October before now. Last time they were intent on squashing every boat in on the staithe at Womack Water. I can't tell you how glad we were that we were moored down the Dyke instead.

My sentiments entirely! Sardines came to mind when I saw them all at the staithe.