Breydon Rescue

JennyMorgan

Picking up on comments during yesterday's discussion, I am amazed to hear that the SOB is not equipped with a dinghy. And yet her principle role is to patrol the Breydon mudflats? I can't see how they can do the job without one.

By the way, have we ever stopped to consider why the River Inspector's launches have such a long overall length, for a simple cabin launch?  Yes, it gives them pretty lines but it is actually so that they can be manoeuvred efficiently when towing alongside. It has always been commonplace to see a broken down cruiser being towed to a safe mooring, lashed alongside a ranger's launch.

I don't see how we can possibly exclude the ranger's launches from their important safety and emergency role. There are those here who call them the front-line troops - and not for nothing!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, marshman said:

To be fair, you cannot patrol for 6 hours in a RIB - well not at my age!!!!!!

Nor me, at least in foul weather. However I would be able to nip into the yacht-station for a pee and a tea every hour or two. 

I'm not convinced that SOB or even a RIB needs to patrol for 6 hours. A fair bet that in the event of a grounding it will be a t one end of Breydon whilst the patrol boat is at the other. The RNLI doesn't constantly patrol, but their boats are on call 24hrs. 

No, I'm not suggesting that the BA takes over from the RNLI but I do question the process that lead up to the purchase of SOB and the rationale for her choice.

• Like 2