An Autumnal Tale

17 hours ago, SwanR said:

Evening Jay. Another lovely day afloat for you then. Are the water levels generally still high? There was 6 foot showing under the bridge at PH this morning. And HW seemed to have some boats double moored on the main river. I don’t know if that was associated with the water levels or just because their yard is full now. Have you seen any hire boats still out this week?

I believe HW have had their barrier down recently because of the salt surge, that maybe one reason there are boats double moored on the river. Having said that, they were double moored there three weeks ago so it could also be due to the fact they have run out of room in the yard! 

• Like 1

I think the Nogs will have to chuck in the towel with the first one JF :default_crying1animated:

If it's on the upper Yare we've not been able to get up there much since the demise of Swancraft. Rushcutters was about all I had left. 

However Mrs Nog is still picking fluff off the spinning looms so we'll have a think about the second one.  Strangely the window reminds me of the Fat Cat and Canary 

17 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Lovely photos again Jay. All these ‘guess the pub’ pictures are just giving you an excuse to visit more and more hostelries aren’t they?!! Not that you need an excuse of course........................:default_beerchug:

:default_biggrin:

I assure you Vanessan I do actually do more than sit in broadland pubs all day taking photos to post on here (just about), but I have an image to maintain you know, so keep it quiet :default_smiley-angelic002:

20 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

I think the Nogs will have to chuck in the towel with the first one JF :default_crying1animated:

If it's on the upper Yare we've not been able to get up there much since the demise of Swancraft. Rushcutters was about all I had left. 

However Mrs Nog is still picking fluff off the spinning looms so we'll have a think about the second one.  Strangely the window reminds me of the Fat Cat and Canary 

Never give in Mr Nog, it's beneath you.

You are absolutely correct on number 1 which was The Rushcutters Arms at Thorpe.

I'm assuming you are having a guess at The Fat Cat And Canary and not just having a think about it, and you would be absolutely correct again. I had to be careful to not let the floor show on that one as that would have completely given the game away.

Well done Sir :default_icon_clap:

9 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Carpet looks a bit lurid, would do credit to a Wetherspoons! 

Not impressed with the beer! 

Mrs Nog has returned from 't mill :default_swordpir:

Are you telling me you don't like Wetherspoons either now Mr Nog???

You can get a pint of San Miguel for under £4 :default_beerchug:

Just now, NorfolkNog said:

Oh no, nothing against them JF, some of the guest beers are OK but not so keen on Greene King and Doombar! 

I understand Sir, you're a snob. Is that it? :default_biggrin:

Just now, NorfolkNog said:

What's this San Miguel stuff? :default_rofl:

Try it Mr Nog, it'll change your life. Not necessarily for the better, but still :default_biggrin: <----- I nearly gave you a :default_icon_kiss:then by mistake :default_rofl:

2 minutes ago, Gracie said:

He is my teddy bear but the image I think you're after is this one :default_drinks:

Babe, shuddup......image... :default_icon_kiss:

3 minutes ago, Gracie said:

That will be Mr Nog with him :default_biggrin:

He asked for the bottle of Becks, not me :default_smiley-angelic002:

Okay, I am signing off here...

Tuesday 6th November

It started out as a cool cloudy morning, but it wasn't too long before the sun started to peak through the clouds and brighten the day.20181106_074822.thumb.jpg.bd221d511462ff8d32e2bed9c2163806.jpg

As I took the dog out onto the green for her morning necessities I found I had become surrounded by those most weird and boring of all people that sit beside the water all day doing absolutely nothing but moan about everyone else and everything.

That's right, my boat was in the midst of a maze of lines by people trying to catch something with an iq a couple of levels above themselves. (This should go down well)

As I returned to the boat, I was in a little mix of emotions, whilst I was desperate to go and travel further and further once again, I was also restricted by the fact that Wednesday I had to leave the boat and return home as I could not have the leave from work required to complete the rest of my week aboard.

My idea, from the previous evening was to walk from Brammerton up to the Surlingham Ferry have a morning beverage, and then return back to the boat, by which time the tide would have allowed me to return along the Yare with the assistance of the current.

This morning however, I sat and pondered as the kettle boiled on what actually to do. Once the whistle of the pot stirred me from my thoughts I began to make a coffee and then found that the milk had run out. 

Well that was it, the Holiday End Eve mood really kicked in.

After simmering away for a few minutes, I made a hot ruddy chocolate that the kids had left behind and sat whiling away the morning unable to decide what I really wanted to do, and where I wanted to go.

Finally I decided I couldn't sit around any longer and just set off back down the Yare to decide along the way.20181106_110830.thumb.jpg.eb549e0a6129200c38b2a974e513b4f1.jpg

As it happened I passed Brundall 20181106_111429.thumb.jpg.491fcad3e4684517023824f894598c0c.jpg20181106_113421.thumb.jpg.3e7f9e63c5c1ca69c80d71856cffd392.jpg

And almost automatically spun into the fuel mooring and got the dual pump out and diesel fill I required.

Now whilst waiting for the 140 litres of diesel, and pump outs, who should suddenly approach and moor beside me???? Remember my boat in Horning?20181106_120033.thumb.jpg.bb24dd451594885a4c5d817e5672538e.jpg The one next door to "the balcony"?20181106_120105.thumb.jpg.1ef293e217b942e1576e577df2a1669c.jpg

Once complete, I was going to head to Coldham Hall but instead settled on mooring up at "home" and in the bright sunshine, stripped off a little (I still had baggy trousers, two shirts and a thick winter coat on Grace I swear) and began to give the boat a thorough clean.20181106_134515.thumb.jpg.01d9ee69a724f7d06c333ddafd76b3a9.jpg

Then it was time to take the dog for a walk before settling down aboard once more for an unexpected final evening in Brundall, but I was still on the river, still on the boat and still ruddy loving it all.

And so on my final day, I did the least of all the Holiday, and whittered on for longer than any other day. For me, tomorrow will be finishing tidying up the boat and making sure she is ***** and span for the next user, and then heading back on the 3 hour journey home ready to return to work on Thursday.

The 4 or so weeks before I am back again, can't come quick enough.

22 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Afraid we're struggling again JF. I think if I'd seen that carpet I would have remembered.

I'll go for a pub I've never been in - the Town House

Correct again Mr Nog. I did cheat (possibly make it easy) putting a few from the same spot together but well done again Sir.

9 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Correct again Mr Nog

Oooerrr, more of a process of elimination, I know its one pub I haven't visited and I think I would have remembered. I knew it wasn't the Buck as I've been in there - flagged floor from memory.

Aw, sorry your holiday has to come to an end :default_crying1animated: we've very much enjoyed your holiday tales and of course a little pub quiz and banter too :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

Ah, that “holiday almost over” feeling. The one time that you have to do a bit of planning. At least you have a return trip to look forward to.

We’re probably packing up tomorrow and heading for home. But in our case our return trip is not likely to be until the spring. 

Have a safe journey home Jay. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

Oooerrr, more of a process of elimination, I know its one pub I haven't visited and I think I would have remembered. I knew it wasn't the Buck as I've been in there - flagged floor from memory.

Aw, sorry your holiday has to come to an end :default_crying1animated: we've very much enjoyed your holiday tales and of course a little pub quiz and banter too :default_beerchug:

Thanks Mr Nog, never fear I will return soon. Or should that be you'd better fear I will return soon :default_biggrin:

17 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Ah, that “holiday almost over” feeling.

It's pretty gutting Jean even if I will be back soon

17 minutes ago, SwanR said:

We’re probably packing up tomorrow and heading for home. But in our case our return trip is not likely to be until the spring. 

Have a safe journey home Jay. 

Sorry your trip is over too Jean, I hope you have enjoyed your stay and you have many happy holidays next year once again.

You have a safe journey home too, thanks for joining me on my travels.

Jay darling, thank you for such a lovely time, the rivers and wine were lovely the company superb

If people think it's nonsense as you put it, they don't have to read it

Not long before you're afloat again and of course we've got Mr and Mrs N's Quiet and Peaceful to look forward to, not that it will be very Quiet and Peaceful once you and Mrs N get together :facepalm:

I think Howard and I will sit in the corner with a pint of Stella (sorry Mr N) and let you both get on with it :default_biggrin:

Have a safe journey home babe

Talk soon

Grace :default_icon_kiss:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gracie said:

Jay darling, thank you for such a lovely time, the rivers and wine were lovely the company superb

If people think it's nonsense as you put it, they don't have to read it

Not long before you're afloat again

Have a safe journey home babe

Talk soon

Grace :default_icon_kiss:

Thanks my little bundle of gorgeous wonderfulness :default_icon_kiss:

I'm going alone then am I? No company? :default_smiley-angelic002:

Well I am now home (as you already know) watching the pouring rain, and looking forward to my next Winter's Tale, full of complete and utter rambling nonsense, boozing and cruising (I may even have a new pub game too, equally as enthralling and exciting as the last :default_norty:)

See you all again soon :default_icon_wave: