3 Rivers Race 2019

TheQ

The Boats have started arriving...

They are now forecasting up to 22C, up to 13mph South Westerly at the start, moving round to southerly overnight 15 to 18mph for the last boats to finish.

The more westerly the better for the start, to get them down the street..

6 hours ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Does anyone know what time the first start is on Saturday?

As mentioned, weather permitting 11:00 first start,  there are around 100 entries so with about 10 boats in a start  maybe 10 starts at 5 minute intervals.

But there is normally an extra 15 minute gap in the middle to allow boats to clear. So the last start should be just after  12:00.

The bad news is the temperature forecast is up to 26C and the windspeed down to 9 mph.. It could be another slow race... 

• Thanks 1

Providing my new tablet computer doesn't commit sucide like last years, I should get the odd picture coming to this thread from Hickling Broad.

I might be able to put in the odd report as to when boats start arriving at guardships, depending on how busy I get..

• Thanks 1

Will hopefully post some pics upon my return on Sunday. This trip is turning into a bit of a military mission because we are trying to get the boat and a car on the North side to enjoy the best of both worlds of the 3RR.

I shall be heading up to the boat tomorrow to sort a few overdue jobs out and stay on board tomorrow night. Then Friday morning I shall be driving to Stokesby to park my car and be picked up by a couple of friends who are driving up Friday morning. Leaving my car behind we shall drive back to the marina and pick the boat up for it's journey round to the North side. Friday night will be either The Lion Thurne, or Acle Bridge Inn. Then Saturday morning we head for Stokesby to swap the boat for the car and head to Horning for the start. Loose plan depending on the wind and weather is Horning start, Horning Ferry, Ludham bridge, Acle bridge then back to the boat for a BBQ and if the weather gods have allowed the mark to be placed below Stokesby watch some boats go past. After the BBQ will probably cast off and late evening / night cruise into South Walsham and drop the mud weight, staying well clear of the mark on South Walsham. Sunday morning head back to the marina and then back to Stokesby to pick my car up and then all depart for home. 

• Like 1

Just for info Water Rail and me will be positioned at Thurne Mouth on guard ship duties.  Much as I would love to chat to people it might be a tad difficult if a lot of boats decide to go past at the same time.

• Like 2

Water Rail and crew have the problem of counting them all out and counting them all back. Where as the crew and me up at Hickling only have the job of counting them round one mark.

Also I suspect if we get the forecast light winds, I'll see a lot less boats getting as far as us..

The forecast for the start is now a southerly, 7mph gusting 10 mph, this would mean the unusual sight in this race of the boats tacking down ( long tack on the Horning side, short tack back to the trees,) from the Swan to the Ferry Inn. This may be a blessing as in the light winds they should at least keep moving.

The Ant could be fun though, a run up to the turning point, but lots of short tacks on the way back.

There will also be a lot of tacking down to the lower Bure bouy. But it will be a run / reach all the way back up to Hickling.

There is of course the problem of a sea breeze, with the sun being hot enough, that could generate North Easterly breeze fighting the southerly then anything can happen, normally it might just stop the wind mid saturday afternoon..

Sunday now forecast around a 15mph southerly, once past Thurne mouth that will help the boats homeward...

21 minutes ago, grendel said:

I trust you used both fingers.:default_biggrin:

I am glad he has mended enough to get out on the water, I guess that means he has fixed the gearbox issue with no reverse. (who needs to stop anyway)

If he dosn't get the top down, He'll need reverse at Potter.. we don't want him blocking the hole..

• Haha 3

Morning, went to the guard ship briefing last night, the club is surrounded by layers of boats,  the car park was full. 

08:00 I'll  head to Hickling to get everything ready for the race,  I have the buoy,  radios , aerials, signs, lights, tally boards,  and my instructions.  Sadly the position I've been told to use is beyond Wi-Fi range of the club house.  So no updates from me during the race. Though I'll try to get some pictures. 

But first,  let the dog out,  have breakfast,  and the first of many coffees in the next 30 hours. 

• Like 3