Goosander? No - Gooseandhim!

DAVIDH

Great holiday tale, with outstanding photo's.  Thanks for sharing.

Ah Yes, the clean through inside and out once on the home mooring - A right royal pain in the derrière that one is.  We have done it hundreds of times onboard 'B.A' to date, I always go home thinking I could have done it better

Griff

42 minutes ago, Matt said:

One of the best things we ever did on Thunder was employ a cleaner :-)

Hmmm. I employed a cleaner for about 5 years!

All I wanted was someone to keep the superstructure outside clean. I'm moored next to a tree and the boat turns green quite quickly if it's not kept in check. Not the most successful engagement I've ever made!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Matt said:

One of the best things we ever did on Thunder was employ a cleaner :-)

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

Hi Matt, to be honest I am in two minds with regards to having the boat cleaned.

On one hand it does save you from all the time and work involved, it takes me about 3 hours to fully clean the boat outside with considerable less time to clean the inside. On the other hand if you do not clean and inspect the outside of the boat you do not appreciate the condition of the boat, what gelcoat repairs are required in the winter service or what are just surface marks that can be removed with a bit of work.

I also believe that as owners of a boat, we should take some pride in its appearance and do our best to keep it as pristine as possible. Leaving the cleaning to a third party (we have all used them from time to time) is the easy step, a bit like renting an hire-craft. 

We have some of our owners that used to hire and cleaned the boats as soon as they got aboard. We currently leave it to our owners to engage a cleaner or do the cleaning themselves.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

Been a great read up Dave with super images.

Reference  cleaning , on Silver Cloud, we are very lucky in having a local owner who will  valet  the inside to a pristine condition for a nominal fee.This is so handy on the shorter days when you are facing a 5½ hour journey home. Also means I can pick up the puss from the cattery on the same day, rather than the next, which pays for the clean. As for the exterior I think the depth of cleaning is really up to the mobility of the crew while us more able owners can spend hours (and I do) enjoying ourselves with overpriced hull cleaners at the waterline. As long as the windows shine, that does me.

Fred