Walkins Boatyard

misswhiplash76

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2018 at 18:17, vanessan said:

Walklin Cruisers are/were at Chedgrave, I’m sure someone will come along with the relevant information. 

That`s correct, and their boats had names starting with the word "Whispering", such as "Whispering Foam", and "Whispering Song", which are the two i can remember.

Does that ring any bells Miss Whiplash?.

2 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I think there may also have been one called Whispering Teal as well, though not 100% on that one?.

Neil, you're thinking of Mistral Craft. My parents hired Whispering Teal (Alpha 32 forward steer) in 1986 when I was a teenager. I think that was their last season and Whispering Teal became Norfolk Gem. My memory of Walklin Cruisers is a small fleet of wooden centre cockpits (Bourne 35s possibly) all named "Fire.." something. 

• Like 2

Hi guys. We hired twice in the mid eighties with Walklin Cruisers. The owner was Denny Walklin and I’m sure he is still around. We went past his yard last year and I saw him working on a boat which are now just private moorings. All their boats were named Fire something, Firecrest, Firebronze, firefly etc. Proper people as well

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Neil, you're thinking of Mistral Craft. My parents hired Whispering Teal (Alpha 32 forward steer) in 1986 when I was a teenager. I think that was their last season and Whispering Teal became Norfolk Gem. My memory of Walklin Cruisers is a small fleet of wooden centre cockpits (Bourne 35s possibly) all named "Fire.." something. 

God yes, now i remember. I should have remembered that because it was owned by Denny Walklin who still runs the yard with private moorings. Thanks Simon. Yes, Firecrest, Firestar and others of similar names. The yard was next door to Pacific cruisers.

If we walk past the back of the yard en route to Maffetts, we always say hello to Denny, you can always recognise him, a little old man with long white hair. A real pleasant chap.

I must be getting old, as so many things are different to how i remember them.

I wrote this post without reading Pompeyboys post above. 

Yes, i AM getting old lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1