• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Sign in to follow this  
misswhiplash76

Walkins Boatyard

can anyone help please.i have a pic taken in 70s at a boatyard where i played with owners daughter im told its walkins but i dont remember them.does anyone have info as to its history pics of mooring as mines not clear

Walklin Cruisers are/were at Chedgrave, I’m sure someone will come along with the relevant information. 

• Like 1

According to Dan Horners website the last year of hiring for Walklin Cruisers of Loddon was in 1987.

Regards

Alan

On 02/11/2018 at 18:17, vanessan said:

Walklin Cruisers are/were at Chedgrave, I’m sure someone will come along with the relevant information. 

That`s correct, and their boats had names starting with the word "Whispering", such as "Whispering Foam", and "Whispering Song", which are the two i can remember.

Does that ring any bells Miss Whiplash?.

unfortunately not but ive since been told the daughters name and can confirm that so think im on a winner lol.thanku everyone for your help its very frustrating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

I think there may also have been one called Whispering Teal as well, though not 100% on that one?.

Neil, you're thinking of Mistral Craft. My parents hired Whispering Teal (Alpha 32 forward steer) in 1986 when I was a teenager. I think that was their last season and Whispering Teal became Norfolk Gem. My memory of Walklin Cruisers is a small fleet of wooden centre cockpits (Bourne 35s possibly) all named "Fire.." something. 

• Like 2

Hi guys. We hired twice in the mid eighties with Walklin Cruisers. The owner was Denny Walklin and I’m sure he is still around. We went past his yard last year and I saw him working on a boat which are now just private moorings. All their boats were named Fire something, Firecrest, Firebronze, firefly etc. Proper people as well

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

Neil, you're thinking of Mistral Craft. My parents hired Whispering Teal (Alpha 32 forward steer) in 1986 when I was a teenager. I think that was their last season and Whispering Teal became Norfolk Gem. My memory of Walklin Cruisers is a small fleet of wooden centre cockpits (Bourne 35s possibly) all named "Fire.." something. 

God yes, now i remember. I should have remembered that because it was owned by Denny Walklin who still runs the yard with private moorings. Thanks Simon. Yes, Firecrest, Firestar and others of similar names. The yard was next door to Pacific cruisers.

If we walk past the back of the yard en route to Maffetts, we always say hello to Denny, you can always recognise him, a little old man with long white hair. A real pleasant chap.

I must be getting old, as so many things are different to how i remember them.

I wrote this post without reading Pompeyboys post above. 

Yes, i AM getting old lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1