Good News Had To Share

Jocave

We have placed an offer on a property in Ludham and its not yet been accepted but is under consideration, exciting times for us but still panicking if it does get accepted, may be looking for a permanent mooring as well as a new boat , no more paying to get our boat trailered across country , just arrived back after a six hour drive but fingers crossed wont have to do that too many more times...

• Like 13

No wish to wee-wee on anyone's parade here but a few words of realism on this one. Over the years I have met a number of incomers and whilst its worked well  for many, Hylander for example, it has been a cause of regret for others. The two commonest comments have been in being cut off from family & friends. Secondly the grim realization that winters are very different to the idyllic Broads summers. As one man commented, if he'd visited the area during the winter then he'd never have made the move. He now feels trapped, now unable to afford to return to what he still considers as home. I once did it the other way, moved from here to London for my ideal job, I absolutely hated it! I was just so glad to come home!  

Right, that's got over being a miserable old sod, get it right and as many others will tell you, you'll have absolutely no reason to regret your move. Success is all down to you though! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

No wish to wee-wee on anyone's parade here but a few words of realism on this one. Over the years I have met a number of incomers and whilst its worked well  for many, Hylander for example, it has been a cause of regret for others. The two commonest comments have been in being cut off from family & friends. Secondly the grim realization that winters are very different to the idyllic Broads summers. As one man commented, if he'd visited the area during the winter then he'd never have made the move. He now feels trapped, now unable to afford to return to what he still considers as home. I once did it the other way, moved from here to London for my ideal job, I absolutely hated it! I was just so glad to come home!  

Right, that's got over being a miserable old sod, get it right and as many others will tell you, you'll have absolutely no reason to regret your move. Success is all down to you though! 

Wise word you MOS :default_coat:

• Like 2

Peter speaks the truth.. 

he is a miserable old sod! :default_biggrin::default_biggrin::default_coat:

Wise words though. 

Having spent the last 25 odd years on the outskirts of London (Lowestoft born and bred) I find I miss the convenience of the 24 hours society being near a city offers. 

The trade off for all that magical peace and quiet is everywhere is shut early or only open restricted hours or days. You need to get back in the habit of planning a bit better.  

• Haha 1

These days of the internet you can never feel cut off , well at least that is how I feel.    As Peter says you make it a success or failure.  If you sit there moping the whole time about why did you move up here, ask your self why did you want to move in the first place.    To be honest for our bucks we got more bang as far as property is concerned.   We were both retired so no jobs to fret over.  Goodness me there is a railway line not so far away 2 hrs on the train and you are back in precious London.    I personally think you live a lot longer up here anyway, much slower and better lifestyle entirely.      Cold is cold to me whether it is down South or up here.  Bung on some more sweaters if you are cold.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hylander said:

These days of the internet you can never feel cut off , well at least that is how I feel.    As Peter says you make it a success or failure.  If you sit there moping the whole time about why did you move up here, ask your self why did you want to move in the first place.    To be honest for our bucks we got more bang as far as property is concerned.   We were both retired so no jobs to fret over.  Goodness me there is a railway line not so far away 2 hrs on the train and you are back in precious London.    I personally think you live a lot longer up here anyway, much slower and better lifestyle entirely.      Cold is cold to me whether it is down South or up here.  Bung on some more sweaters if you are cold.

Absolutely agree, I lived, worked and suffered London for 60 years and then retired to Norfolk. I have never regretted it for one second and hate having to go back to visit relatives etc. In 18 months here we have been in a heatwave and cut off for 2 days by the Beast from the East. I walk my dog on the beach every day and I feel like a kid again :12_slight_smile:

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Hylander said:

'Goodness me there is a railway line not so far away 2 hrs on the train and you are back in precious London'. That's provided that you can trust the trains. My son in law has his perfect 'boy's' dream job working in London so I don't blame him for working there but if I had the aggravation of the train journeys that he has then I would wonder if it was all worth it!

"hate having to go back to visit relatives".    Ray a man after my own heart.    Never a truer spoken.    We go we stay in a hotel to be able to get back to a sanctuary for the night when we visit.

Peter I am not talking about commuting to London from here, (I would advise immediately against that)  I was just saying if you feel that deprived at being cut off from 'coffee shops, restaurants, litter, polluted air,  millions of people,   etc then just pop on the train for a day and you will soon be back.

• Like 2

I am spending 90% of my time now in in Norfolk, but I know if anyone was to ask me I'll always regard myself as a Londoner. I have found Norwich to be a lovely city with a great deal more to offer in a smaller area than I can get in London - unless I travel into the centre. I love the trips out on the trains to the likes of Lowestoft (which I think is a pretty nice place and has a bunch to offer) - but then I also think parts of Great Yarmouth are nice, whereas others are not but it seems more 'elongated' so you tend to have to go through the rough to get to the smooth.

The biggest change I have still not got used to one bit is the fact even in the suburbs of London it takes a long time for things to get quiet. More people about, cars, things going on even midweek at 7pm. In Norwich it has the feel that once the working day is over everyone races out the city and the roads get clogged but the centre becomes very much more quiet with people. I went to Morrisons and it was about 6:45pm yet there was just a few people in the isles, the checkouts were quiet - the same I have experienced at ASDA in Yarmouth. If I go to my local Sainsbury's in London at that time it will be busy and fraught.

I don't mind the quiet, so long as you have that connection to get out and about however that may be. However, I know that I would feel very cut off if found myself in a smaller location, or a home that was a good way from anything of any substance. Brundall, Horning, Wroxham, Stalham - those sort of places that have a heart - shops, a pub things about them going on and a community I think are just right.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I am spending 90% of my time now in in Norfolk, ...

So do you now work from home?  (I've not been reading all the threads).

I worked from Home Office the final 15 years or so of my working life & for me it was positive.
Whilst missing the "by chance" information from colleagues in the office I was not disturbed
or distracted by said colleagues - and in my case my immediate team members plus managers were
in a different country (e.g. USA) anyway.  Saved the half-hour commute each way.

In the end I went into local office about once per quarter.

Good Luck for your impending move!  It's something we have thought about for some time now but whether it will be possible, I have no idea.  We have to sell our home in 3 yrs time as there is no way we can pay off the interest only mortgage and we will be lucky to have 60/70K left over.  Also, I have to keep working way beyond 65 unless the Lotto numbers come up for us.

Jim, if you were to move up to the Broads, Oulton Broad in particular, then for your 60/70k you could buy quite a tasty live-aboard, mooring at the Yacht Station is about thirty quid a week, then you could throw yourself onto the State and adopt one of our local and generally excellent pubs. On the other hand your left over dosh is enough for a useful deposit . . . . . . . . .  

Where there is a will there is a way!

https://www.howards.co.uk/lowestoft

I'm sorry to read that, Jim. My wife's going through it at the moment, not good watching a loved one suffer so I do appreciate the corner that you were in.

When I was in work , indeed the day before I actually retired, I asked a regular customer/friend how he and his wife managed in retirement. Their solution was simple, buy what you need, not what you want. We adopted his advice, it works. Retirement is certainly not to be feared. We now have time for each other, closer than ever, and she encourages me go fishing whenever I want!. 

Here's to 2019 :default_beerchug:

• Like 3

I would just say that boat ownership when you live where your boat is moored is very different from when you have to travel to it. It is no longer your "Escape" or your "Holiday Home".

On balance I think we enjoyed our boat more when we were at work and travelled from Buckinghamshire to Wareham each weekend in summer and for holidays.

The Chiltern Hills will forever be home to me, they were for 55 years. However even in widowhood I will not move from my home in North Norfolk while I am fit to stay here. I can be at my son's house in Bucks in 3 hours and with my other son in 48 inc an overnight at Heathrow. If my wife had not fallen victim to cancer then I would not have been here as it was our intension on very early retirement to move every 5 or 6 years and do different things. In fact when my wife was first diagnosed we were negotiating to buy a penthouse in Rustington that would allow us to "lock and leave" in order to spend our summers exploring mainland Europe by car. If still active Snowdonia or The Lake District could then have been on the cards.

But as the say " you don't know what is round the corner"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Totally agree about living close to where your boat is berthed. We retired 18 years ago and moved from North London to a village just outside Ely where our boat was moored on the river Gt. Ouse thinking it would be great not to have to do a long journey each time we wanted to go to it, especially as retirement meant we would be going more often. However unfortunately our marina changed hands and went from being idyllic to anything but! This prompted our moving the boat to the Broads. Far from finding the 1hr 45mins journey a nuisance we actually found we had re-captured that going away feeling which we hadn't even realised we had lost. Do I regret the house move?  A bit, but the benefits make it worth staying, The medical care is infinitely superior to that we would receive where we used to live and as one gets older that is very important, Yes, I 'd prefer to live closer to our family and yes I  will always be a London girl at heart but on the whole I think it worked out very well.

Carole

• Like 5

That’s really interesting Carole. We’re also amongst those with the dream of moving up here once both retired. But we’ve looked around online and it would need to be somewhere pretty special. If we moved from an estate in Essex to one on the outskirts of Norwich for example, day to day life might not feel that different.