Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

  • calender payment

    Calendar Paymene

    Delivery Options
    Your NBN Forum Username:

  • If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

    Forum Shop

Jocave

Good News Had To Share

Recommended Posts

 

Actually Jean I ,think  I   may well prefer that to being  located  in Cambridgeshire . I like Norwich as a city. One of the things I don't like about where we live is the awful shopping facilities, I sometimes have to drive a round trip of about  25 miles to get a preferred mascara! When you have lived all your life in areas where you can buy practically anything within a few minutes it comes hard. However offset against that is the fact that we bought a decent sized house for about a third of what our old house cost so it's very much swings and roundabouts.

 

 

Carole

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anywhere near Mepal Carole?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Jim just a bit further on, towards March,

Carole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, addicted said:

One of the things I don't like about where we live is the awful shopping facilities, I sometimes have to drive a round trip of about  25 miles to get a preferred mascara! 

Carole

Oh Carole, the trauma's you women folk face never ceases to amaze me, here's me, I'll buy any old tatty mascara from the local SPAR as long as it will darken my long lashes and make them stand out (that is what mascara does right???).

I'm sorry for the troubles you face for your make up needs

:default_smiley-angelic002:

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jay  do I detect a little tongue in cheek in your sympathy, surely not.!

 

 

Carole

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, addicted said:

Jay  do I detect a little tongue in cheek in your sympathy, surely not.!

 

 

Carole

Surely not. That would be completely out of character :default_wink:

 

Edit... I should also add, Good Luck Jocave :default_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, addicted said:

Yes Jim just a bit further on, towards March,

Carole

Ah, not far from there then. I work at Block Fen quarry quite a lot, not far from the outdoor pursuites place.  Wife is a born and bred fen local from Whittlesey. Now they have opened the new Ely Southern Bypass has it helped?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, addicted said:

:default_biggrin:

You see you do all that travelling for mascara and yet I think my cheapy stuff looks just as good

a47af17e9378b005466c5731024a601e--happy-faces-smiley-faces.jpg.4b11d599b488ab961e9292192b91196d.jpg

You see this is why you all need Grace around, she saves you from all of my nonsense :default_biggrin:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We really like the people around Lowestoft and having the caravan here has meant that we feel in a halfway position between holidaymakers and residents. 

We also like the roads and area between the Great Yarmouth, Caister and Potter Heigham areas. Looked on Rightmove earlier, as one does, and there are some very affordable bungalows in the area. 

Like you, Carole, I grew up in London. And I didn’t think that I would want to move any further away than where I live in Essex. But things are very different now and I really hope that when the time is right, hubby and I will have at least one more move to make. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following this post / thread with keen interest as someone who has just put the wheels in motion to move to Norfolk! Interesting to read varying views on being close to your boat an well as Norfolk life!


Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we moved to the Ely area like you do now Jean we felt as if we were already partially living there because of having the boat  moored there for so many years.  In particular I would advise you to  be very careful not to under estimate what your  home requirements will be when retired. We did, bought a brand new bungalow and finished up making a further move 3 years later because  although very large it simply wasn't  enough.

 

Carole

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, addicted said:

When we moved to the Ely area like you do now Jean we felt as if we were already partially living there because of having the boat  moored there for so many years.  In particular I would advise you to  be very careful not to under estimate what your  home requirements will be when retired. We did, bought a brand new bungalow and finished up making a further move 3 years later because  although very large it simply wasn't  enough.

 

Carole

As said before it is what you make it.   If you are the type of person who has to visit the ' kids' everyday and cannot live with visiting relatives 24/7 then stay put because it would not be right for you.      We moved up here initially to be near to the boat and ended up being about an hour away from it , so as mentioned we always felt that we were going away when we went on the boat.   However , as time went on we moved the boat down to the Southern Broads and were only 10 mins away from the boat.   It had its advantages, if there was flooding or any problems at the marina then a quick trip down the road was all it took.      Yes to be honest I have toyed with the idea if anything (God forbid) happened to hubby it would be good to move to say a McCarthy and Stone retirement flat in the South East of England but before that happens I think ERNIE will have to come up.     Would I be happy stuck in a retirement flat with no garden etc,  I dont think so.    

Norfolk and Suffolk have the same large Industrial Estates as elsewhere so there is no difference there.  Norwich has all the West End shops.  You have beautiful coasts and beautiful rivers.  What is there not to like.

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upped our offer today as our original  one was declined , it's not too far away from the asking price and what the estate agents have said the vendors are hoping for,  so pretty confident that it will be accepted, our little boat has been sold and has been trailered away today, never thought that would be so hard to watch , gonna miss it more than I thought..

 

IMG_20180713_105720.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can understand how you felt seeing your boat on its way.    Terrible feeling.   Never ever thought I would get so attached to a boat and even now 3 years later I still think about ours.     

Keeping everything crossed for you and hope today brings good news regarding your property purchase.  Heard on the Anglian news this morning that house prices in this area are dropping so I think your Vendors should grab your offer while it is on the table.

Hope your next post will be something to be celebrated.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎06‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 16:58, Jim said:

Ah, not far from there then. I work at Block Fen quarry quite a lot, not far from the outdoor pursuites place.  Wife is a born and bred fen local from Whittlesey. Now they have opened the new Ely Southern Bypass has it helped?

We would have found the new bypass very useful when we lived on that side of Ely but now we rarely go through that part of the town so it came too late for us sadly.

 

Carole

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jocave said:

Upped our offer today as our original  one was declined , it's not too far away from the asking price and what the estate agents have said the vendors are hoping for,  so pretty confident that it will be accepted, our little boat has been sold and has been trailered away today, never thought that would be so hard to watch , gonna miss it more than I thought..

 

IMG_20180713_105720.jpg

A trouble shared etc, etc, etc. Here is mine in February this year off to David Mawby.

I admit to the odd tear as I walked back from Richardsons to pick up my car. It was never going to work for me without Judith and this way it was a clean break and the memories are happy ones.

 

20180207_101929.thumb.jpg.e85afda993dd596bd8022dd6cd963083.jpg20180207_103815.thumb.jpg.ef117e083b70172398da903ed43e82e1.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Chris B touched on this but living away and having a boat on the Broads, is very very different to living here and having a boat locally. You use it differently and indeed perhaps less!

Bizarre isn't it but there is often a great temptation to bunk off home to have a sleep and somehow it seems more difficult to actually provision the boat to stay on it for a few days! So I tend to use it less to sleep on but on the other side of the coin, you can just nip out on a great evening or even a day at short notice or even on a whim if it's lovely!

I think it is all about availability - when you live here you think nothing about doing all those things lots of us are busy with. But if you live away and you decide to go to the boat, then you clear other things away to make space. Here you perhaps prioritise these things over the boat - "Thinks - I must be stricter with myself and go away on the boat more often!! )

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that the day will come when either my Lynn or myself will have to make a decision as to what to do with our aging boat. We do have children & grandchildren & it would great to think that they would wish to take her on but she's now forty years old and not easily divisible between four families.  She's also something of an idiosyncratic boat at the best of times and more so following my various 'improvements'. I rather think that you, Chris, made the right decision. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but..........!

Can I live here without a boat or at least being someway involved after so long?

I could move away altogether but can I be bothered doing that either??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn’t have put it better myself MM. Living in the area and especially still working we have defiantly used our boat less this couple of years. In fact we haven’t managed a full week this year, but have been on a good few weekends and evenings out to the pub.

John

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A regular for Judith and I was : set off from Broadsedge at Stalham and cruise to Boundary Farm moorings at Thurne Mouth. We would then do one of two circular walks and return to the boat to cook dinner. Dinner complete we would return to Broadsedge often on Nav Lights in Autumn.

Once the boat was sorted, jump in the car,  back home in 20mins.

Confession......Also In the car would be all our dinner plates, pans etc to go in the dishwasher at home!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, read this thread, and I tend to agree with what I have already read, that loving the Broads and moving house just be  near the boat is a mistake, Most of us would have bought our boats to be away from home and all the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives, so as previously said to move your home close to your getaway (boat) would have a detrimental effect, Our journey time to our boat is approximately one and three-quarter hours Just enough distance to feel separated from the world at home, as we get older and retire and have more time maybe a larger boat we can spend more time on,but probably for us anyway the perfect answer would be for a waterfront property (yes I know they cost a bloody fortune) with its own mooring, I know dream on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve always wondered about waterfront properties...how often do they get flooded and what are the insurance premiums like? I’d prefer to be on boat. Mind you, I’d love one of those properties in places like Belaugh which are on a hill overlooking the river. 

Sigh...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, eddybear said:

Okay, read this thread, and I tend to agree with what I have already read, that loving the Broads and moving house just be  near the boat is a mistake, Most of us would have bought our boats to be away from home and all the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives, so as previously said to move your home close to your getaway (boat) would have a detrimental effect, Our journey time to our boat is approximately one and three-quarter hours Just enough distance to feel separated from the world at home, as we get older and retire and have more time maybe a larger boat we can spend more time on,but probably for us anyway the perfect answer would be for a waterfront property (yes I know they cost a bloody fortune) with its own mooring, I know dream on.

 

36 minutes ago, YnysMon said:

I’ve always wondered about waterfront properties...how often do they get flooded and what are the insurance premiums like? I’d prefer to be on boat. Mind you, I’d love one of those properties in places like Belaugh which are on a hill overlooking the river. 

Sigh...

Totally agree about those at the top of the hill at Belaugh. The trouble with riverside properties is many weeks of zero privacy. We had friends who had the most beautiful home with boathouse just downstream of Marlow they moved after two years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • NBN Mobile App

    Want to use NBN when you're out and about?

    Get our mobile app for Android and iOS!

    Get it on Google Play

×

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.