Winter Cruising

Longjohn

Love those photos Howard. Yes Ferry Marina do hire in March I did find their website a little tricky when checking the prices recently. When looking at the summary of their boats it said prices from £xxx but when I got further on and chose my dates the price was a bit less. I wondered if that was an unadvertised early booking discount!

The year that we hired Rose they actually let us take her the week before their season started once they had checked that her winter maintenance would have been completed. And booked us at the previous year’s price. Great service. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Faircraft Loynes hire all year round but have selected boats available in winter which should be cosier. We've hired one of the Regents in the past during December.

Strangely enough Andrew (Freedom Boats) has just posted on the NBN Facebook page that Norfolk Broads Direct have stated that they are not hiring until Spring 19 now. Seems they may have withdrawn from the winter and Christmas season. 

• Like 1

That's interesting Jean, thanks. I think they did hire but restricted to the Southern rivers. The only yard that I'm aware of which will hire right through winter are Faircraft Loynes. Woods hire apart from December and January. They resolutely won't shift from this, I've tried! 

Thank goodness for Bridgecraft :default_icon_bowdown:

2 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

The only yard that I'm aware of which will hire right through winter are Faircraft Loynes. 

Sorry it’s NBD also known as Faircraft Loynes that may no longer be hiring November through to spring.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Sorry it’s NBD also known as Faircraft Loynes that may no longer be hiring November through to spring.

That's a shame Jean. They usually have quite a few boats out. I was having a chat at the yard a while back and they seemed to think it was worth doing. It would be interesting to know the thinking behind it. They can't have every boat out for winter maintenance at the same time. That would mean no official hire in December or January. It was a very sad day when Swancraft stopped hiring. I'll have to redouble my efforts at the lottery! 

• Like 1

We have hired Swan Ranger next October for a week and it will be the first time we have had a boat with radiator heating.

Our own boat and every other boat we have hired have all had blown air heating which depending on the layout of the ducting and the size of the heater have usually been very good at warming the boats up.

Is radiator heating as effective as warm air on a boat?

Not sure about that Cal. As I recall Rose Emblem had a mixture of both. But you weren’t supposed to run it for long once the engine was off unless hooked up to shore power which was a bit bizarre. We used to put off turning it on as long as we could and get a blanket out instead! 

Just to add that Andrew has now edited his post on our FB page to add as below, so it’s not all boats and therefore may well remain as other years.

“EDIT: NBD have clarified that some boats remain available but are only bookable after conversations with them.”

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Just to add that Andrew has now edited his post on our FB page to add as below, so it’s not all boats and therefore may well remain as other years.

“EDIT: NBD have clarified that some boats remain available but are only bookable after conversations with them.”

Ah, never trust Facebook! I think that's always been the case, they only let certain boats suitable for winter (no canopies for example) and have a chat with you just to be sure you know what to expect. Sounds like no change really. 

If you can raise 50k Jean, Paul would build us a new one! Lovely thought! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, YnysMon said:

Before we first booked with Ferry Marina I made a comparison of the total cost of boats from a range of yards including fuel etc and was surprised to find that Ferry Marina was competitive in overall price. Of course, if you are planning not to cruise very far you would get a good refund on your fuel deposit from other yards. However, if you are planning to make the most of your cruising time, as we tend to do, it is a good deal. We like their very good customer service and excellent level of boat maintenance. 

Ferry, competitive on price? I'm happy to be convinced Helen but whenever I've checked the prices don't look competitive. I deduct £150 for fuel and damage waiver charged elsewhere and the result is invariably still on the high side. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Yep, they've been doing this for a while. We're getting 20 per cent off in February. It's a good deal. Just a shame they won't do December! 

Just wait till they see you turn up with Mrs Nog, they'll add 40% back on again :default_smiley-angelic002:

1 hour ago, Jayfire said:

Just wait till they see you turn up with Mrs Nog, they'll add 40% back on again :default_smiley-angelic002:

...and then take another 60% off. I take it NN'S told you that we've been with them in February several times? 

Anyway, get back to concentrating on Firefighting stuff!  Your mind should be elsewhere, not back on Shadow...:default_eusa_naughty:

5 minutes ago, Delilah said:

...and then take another 60% off. I take it NN'S told you that we've been with them in February several times? 

I heard it mentioned somewhere once or twice

Anyway, get back to concentrating on Firefighting stuff!  Your mind should be elsewhere, not back on Shadow...:default_eusa_naughty:

Tomorrow Mrs Nog, not till tomorrow.

Oh my mind is certainly elsewhere, it's on neither firefighting or Shadow.

Well it is kind of on Shadow, but not the boat itself. 

I wonder if those ducks need feeding :default_smiley-angelic002: