I Still Ain't Deaded!

Timbo

Is there anybody there? Is there anybody there? Keep your fingers on the glass!" said Madame Zaza.
"You don't think for one minute my digit is leaving my beer glass sweet lady?" asked Maurice Mynah.
"I've telled thee...spit it art yer thieving tyke!" yelled Griff wringing the last drop of beer from the gnat that had inadvertently landed in his pint.
"It's no good!" wailed Doug. "It's like being in the mafia!"
"I say! Steady on!" said Maxwellian in between sips of his Shirley Temple.
"Well, it is!" Doug continued.
"Like a National Park!" Jenny Morgan put in.
"I beg to differ!" said BatraBill "hang on, what is?"
"No, it's really like the mafia. Once you know secrets they'll never let you leave! Doug moaned.
"What you mean...like the Masons all secret handshakes and rubber chickens?" asked Maurice Mynah.
"I don't know what you mean!" said WildFuzz rolling his trouser leg down before resuming his seat quickly which produced a squeak.
"No...being a boat builder. Once they find out you can fix things they never let you go!"
"I don't want to rock the boat or anything chaps but who is this Madam Za-za?" asked Maxwellian.
"She was supposed to bringing the cake trolley out when she tried to purloin my beer!" said Maurice Mynah trying to wrench his pint glass from the hands of the waitress without spilling a drop.
"What? There's cake?" asked Doug forgetting his worries.
"Any ice cream?" asked Dave.

Well, that's bout number three of pneumonia this year over and done with. I feel like a three-day-old kitten...all claws and fuzz and liable to swing off various bits of curtaining and anatomy...but I'm back up again. They pulled out the fancy drugs this time but it seems to have worked. Give me over the weekend to get rested up and I'll be ready to rumble! I suppose not so much a rumble as a whining droney sound with a Lincolnshire/Yorkshire accent. Anyone miss me? :default_norty:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

leave the poor kitten alone, I'll have the cats protection on you - worse than that I will send my little pickle up to lick your nose off.:594c04f07a501_default_AnimatedGifCats(124):

aside from that, where you bin you old codger, its about time you showed your face - Pneumonia Pah, next thing you'll be telling me you are wearing a coat.

• Haha 2

I have not really been anywhere as I've been watching the antics of the NBN both on the forum and facebook daily. I get the updates from the various NBN backroom musings as they happen and comment when needed. Aunty Pat and Uncle Mike keep a close eye on me and I have been doing some odd jobs of work on behalf of the NBN.

One of the jobs was wading through the current guff on the European Union Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market. Particularly articles 11, 12a and 13 which will affect us directly. Basically,  all this article is saying is that any websites that host large amounts of user-generated content, such as the NBN, are responsible for taking down that content if it infringes on copyright. So, if one of our beloved members posts a meme or an image, video, or cuts and pastes any copyrighted material then the NBN would be legally responsible for removing that copyrighted content and liable to pay any related royalties. An earlier version of the amendment also mentions that we would have to 'automate' this process to scan every piece of content uploaded to the forum and stop anything that might violate copyright from being uploaded.

It gets worse. Article 11 dubbed the 'Link Tax' means that if anyone posts anything from any news organisation then that organisation may "obtain fair and proportionate remuneration for the digital use of their press publications by information society service providers". That means us by the way. Although there are exemptions in the articles that may cover us as an organisation, everything is still very much up in the air.  I don't know about anyone else but I'm fairly sure I don't want to have to cough up NBN funds to finance what passes for journalism in the local Norfolk rags?

12a deals with photographs taken at sporting events...such as oh, yacht races etc.

The articles are not European Law yet and all of this depends on how the directive is interpreted by member states when they make it into national law. In our case, everything also hinges on the unhinged, chinless, gormless and clueless of all political persuasions at Westminster. But I would like to keep the NBN ahead of the game with legislation. Anyone who wants to get a good night's sleep will find the full amendments here .

6 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Btw - Am I supposed to be collecting some plywood bound for Stalham this month?

Yes please, Griff but I've still got to dig it out of the pile of guff in the shed, which is under the pile of guff left when they fitted my new windows. :facepalm:I think I've turned into one of those hoarder type people in need of what Uncle Albert called an 'up, bung and stuff' session.

Right...back to bed! Tiring day today with Grandson Arlo (7 months) who is all blonde hair, blue eyes and full of cold and really poorly but was doing his best to smile and laugh for me while we played 'am I gonna give you some 'fump' today. This involves me asking him 'Do you wish to partake of the ancient art of fisticuffs' while I roll up my sleeves and prance around ducking and weaving threatening to 'give you some fump' while avoiding Grandma helping Arlo to give me an uppercut. For his part, Arlo gives you beaming smiles to show off his five new teggies then chortling when I fall over when his fist connects with my kisser. This was followed by collecting granddaughter Gracie (6 going on 36) from school to stay overnight. Call from the back seat of the car that 'this is boring' when Tony Robinson began to read Terry Pratchett on the CD player were soon turned to giggles as 'Vimes' read 'Where's my cow'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would imagine a link would be fine, as you are then re-directing the user to their webpage - no foul there.

what I suppose might be dubious would be a cut and paste of a page of their website, without a message acknowledging their ownership, or the origin. (here is where the mighty Timbo cuts in and tells me I have it all wrong) - though if it is otherwise I dont see how faceache and other social media will be able to continue to operate. I suppose this legislation is really aimed at the big social platforms rather than a 'lil ol forum' like the NBN, but I can see how we could be sucked into the affray.

• Like 1

Timbo 

Forgive my laziness not reading the 64 pages, but is there a “review” or “fair dealing” clause. This is the get out that TV programmes often use to use clips for free under the claim that they a “reviewing” a film, tv show or other media. 

This might allow reposting stuff as long as you “reviewed” it, ie expressed an opinion about it. That seems to be something NBN members are able to do. 

“Another terrible article in the EDP” might  become a legal requirement   .....

There will have to be a practical solution to this as has been pointed out a strict application would not be workable  

46 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Serious head on - are you saying Timbo that you can no longer post a link to say the EDP or the like.

As of yet, everything is as it always has been. However, the EU and the UK have ratified the new articles to the EU's copyright directive but this has not yet passed into law. It will do so within the next year and will then will pass into UK law in the next two years or sooner if we do as I anticipate and just adopt EU law wholesale.

5 minutes ago, grendel said:

here is where the mighty Timbo cuts in and tells me I have it all wrong

Not quite. What it will mean is that links will be only able to show one or two words of an article. If you read many of the links that float around social media then you will know that they contain the headline and a good section of the text to whet your appetite. Under the new directives that would be not allowed without coughing up money. The directive stipulates 'one or two words' of the text.

2 minutes ago, batrabill said:

is there a “review” or “fair dealing” clause

You would think so, and there has been an attempt made to provide an exemption for “legitimate private and non-commercial use of press publications by individual users,”. However, the whole thing is full of holes and open to interpretation. Particularly as those trying to protect their copyright and platforms trying to avoid paying license fees will be using filters and not human beings to sift posts it would double our amount of work behind the scenes as small platforms like us could and probably would end up in the middle of it all. 

So just as a hypothetical...say the EDP runs a piece on the demolition of THAT Bridge with the headline "THAT BRIDGE to be DEMOLISHED". If we ran a thread with the title "That Bridge to be Demolished" and a post included a link to the article...then we would pay.

If we ran a thread saying Potter Heigham bridge to be demolished...fine so far. If the post said 'There's an article in the EDP here' with 'here' the word used as the link...still OK. But should someone say 'I don't do Facebook and can't read it or I can't get the link' and some helpful soul copies and pastes the article...then we pay.

If we discuss the merits of the article...fine, if we quote for a point in an argument...fine, as long as it falls in line within correct academic standards...

To be honest Bill, I think the whole proposal is so much cobblers designed to milk as much cash as possible for the old media moguls as they can get. Although I attended a YouTube conference for larger channel creators recently and to a certain extent I could see how many people out there are raking in a living from other peoples hard work. Endless creators jamming together clips from feature films to illustrate things like 10 things you didn't know about the latest Hollywood Blockbuster, which I think is wrong.

As I say, at the minute there are no changes as the articles have not come into law...yet. Another couple of years. But it will mean some big changes for the likes of YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and to a certain extent us. For us, I think it will be more in the way that we illustrate our arguments and type our posts and links.

• Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Timbo said:

It will do so within the next year and will then will pass into UK law in the next two years or sooner if we do as I anticipate and just adopt EU law wholesale.

I thought that with BREXIT the UK would be rid of the shackles of EU law?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Welcome back Timbo! I am very glad you are feeling better. 

The subject you raise has sometimes worried me, especially where photos are concerned, as this is a forum that often discusses Broads history.

I sometimes scan old photos from books but if I do I always say "scanned from" and name the book and the author. I have always understood that a publication is out of copyright after 30 years? I have never had a photo removed by the mods so have assumed this is OK.

Sometimes I also post old photos of Hearts Cruisers and its boats, which are from my father's archive but are often stamped on the back "copyright Motor Boat and Yachting", since they were taken for articles in that magazine. As the articles were written in the 40s or early 50's, am I OK to do this?

It's as well to know now!

so Timbo (or should we now refer to you as Reg Shoe II) You Aint'ent Dead yet (again), tell me did they have an Egor on hand while you were incapacitated (or perhaps it was a pretty Egorina).

Well I say on hand, but it could have been on foot or on any other portion of anatomy you could consider. 

Still Its nice to see you back up and Lurching mobile again (or maybe it should be Windle Poons II) now if you could just pick up that shovel and accompany us to the crossroads.....

Welcome back anyhow.

6 minutes ago, grendel said:

so Timbo (or should we now refer to you as Reg Shoe II) You Aint'ent Dead yet (again), tell me did they have an Egor on hand while you were incapacitated (or perhaps it was a pretty Egorina).

Well I say on hand, but it could have been on foot or on any other portion of anatomy you could consider. 

Still Its nice to see you back up and Lurching mobile again (or maybe it should be Windle Poons II) now if you could just pick up that shovel and accompany us to the crossroads.....

Welcome back anyhow.

Just call me Moist...get ready to buy some sizzle!

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Welcome back Timbo! I am very glad you are feeling better. 

The subject you raise has sometimes worried me, especially where photos are concerned, as this is a forum that often discusses Broads history.

I sometimes scan old photos from books but if I do I always say "scanned from" and name the book and the author. I have always understood that a publication is out of copyright after 30 years? I have never had a photo removed by the mods so have assumed this is OK.

Sometimes I also post old photos of Hearts Cruisers and its boats, which are from my father's archive but are often stamped on the back "copyright Motor Boat and Yachting", since they were taken for articles in that magazine. As the articles were written in the 40s or early 50's, am I OK to do this?

It's as well to know now!

Here's a handy diagram for educational purposes from the National Archives Vaughan...© Crown copyright 2013 :default_norty: 
copyright.png

Edited to add a quotation...
The copyright owner’s rights are not unlimited and once they have expired the copyright owner has no control at all. You may use an ‘insubstantial part’ of a copyright work in any way you like. A substantial part is not defined, but can mean quite a small part if that is the essence or an important part of the whole. Anything up to perhaps 5% (or in a few cases even more) of the whole might be insubstantial, but less than that quantity could easily be substantial if it is qualitatively important. Mona Lisa’s smile is certainly a substantial part of Leonardo’s painting. The most useful exceptions to copyright are called ‘fair dealing’. To qualify as fair dealing, what you do must be fair to the copyright owner, which means, among other things, not using too much and not damaging his commercial interests or his normal use of the work, and you must acknowledge the author and give the title of the work. Also, what you do must fall into one of the following categories: private study - this means study for your own benefit, though the general knowledge gained might be useful to you for other purposes non-commercial research - this might include research for a non-commercial publication (one which will not make any money), such as some academic research. However, it will not include anything for which you or anyone else will receive a financial or equivalent return, and nor will it include research for a body (even a charity) which will use it to receive a return criticism or review - such as a review of a book. The criticism or review does not have to be favourable, but it must be of a work or works (not necessarily the one quoted) and the comments made must be much more extensive than the quotation current news reporting - such as quotation in a newspaper or on the radio. However, you may not use a photograph for this purpose.

Basically...I think you are covered Vaughan!

• Thanks 2