I Still Ain't Deaded!

Timbo

Thanks very much for that Timbo. There is no doubt that the value of this forum would be greatly depleted if we were no longer able to share our knowledge of Broads history in the way that we do now, by posting old photos to back up our own memories and by quoting past historians when their work backs up our own memories.

I am sure no-one could ever suggest that we are doing it for profit, nor that we are trying to demean the work of others.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2018 at 04:46, Timbo said:

One of the jobs was wading through the current guff on the European Union Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market. Particularly articles 11, 12a and 13 which will affect us directly. Basically,  all this article is saying is that any websites that host large amounts of user-generated content, such as the NBN, are responsible for taking down that content if it infringes on copyright. So, if one of our beloved members posts a meme or an image, video, or cuts and pastes any copyrighted material then the NBN would be legally responsible for removing that copyrighted content and liable to pay any related royalties. An earlier version of the amendment also mentions that we would have to 'automate' this process to scan every piece of content uploaded to the forum and stop anything that might violate copyright from being uploaded.

strangely enough I just got an email from Youtube on article 13, basically saying sign this petition against article 13 or lose access to youtube - I guess they are not planning to comply with article 13 then, they will do the same as they have for GDPR and instead of complying, just block the european users.

• 2 weeks later...

No...I still ain't deaded! Although they have been trying hard!

Here's a quick update from Timbo Towers. As many of you know, I've suffered the occasional stroke since 2001. A total of twenty-one so far. The last at the beginning of this year was in a different part of the brain to the usual and was right in the pain centre. If you imagine the worse hangover you've ever had...that's how I've been feeling twenty-four hours a day, every day since February. It can get a bit wearing and had put a dent in my usually sunny disposition. Another bout of pneumonia didn't do me a world of good. But a corner has been turned and I'm glad to say I'm firing on at least two cylinders now, one more than my flaming car, so brace yourselves!

Uncle Mike and Aunty Pat have been keeping their eyes on me, Griff has popped in, Ian rings me up at some gods awful time in the morning to wake me up, Mike rings me in the afternoon during my nap to wake me up and Psychic Surveyor is on night watch for when I've gone past sleep! :default_norty:

In the meantime, I do keep an eye on the forum and Facebook pages, ever watchful for the mention of 'The Great Estuary Theory'!

On 21/11/2018 at 08:46, grendel said:

strangely enough I just got an email from Youtube on article 13, basically saying sign this petition against article 13 or lose access to youtube - I guess they are not planning to comply with article 13 then, they will do the same as they have for GDPR and instead of complying, just block the european users.

I picked up some chatter at the YouTube creator conference. YouTube is doing a lot of 'blowing', however, 'blow' is all they are doing. Behind the scenes, they are making some drastic changes to bring their platform in line with Articles 11, 12a and 13. They have no choice. If they block Europe and UK then another platform will step in and take over and that will be disastrous for YouTube.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

• 1 month later...

...and I still ain't deaded! A happy and prosperous New Year to all! Christmas was a quiet affair here at Timbo Towers. I was excited to see 'Madness' would be performing for New Year's Eve...then cringed every time they went off key. I had my usual moan at the crap music they play to accompany the firework display. The whole of musical history to go at and they come up with computer-generated drivel. Just shows how old I'm getting! Talking of which...

...woke up on New Year's Day to open birthday presents....and thanks for the birthday wishes much appreciated! Warm socks, good wine and fragrances from Creed and Tom Ford to add to my ever-growing collection. I'm not so much slipping into my dotage as running over the cliff of senility shouting 'yippee' on my way down.

My floppy eared ginger nursemaids have earned their dog biscuits over the last few days as I slowly succumbed to another infection. Dylan, number one beagle, is always the first to react and he camped out on my lap for two days before Toby his twin joined in. 'Oh crap!'. Forty-eight hours in bed with the ginger hot water bottles taking it in turn to babysit me. By lunchtime yesterday, I had both of them cuddled up as I shivered and shook although I was burning up. On a normal day, I feel as though I have the worst hangover you can imagine, but yesterday...

Five thirty this morning and I woke up. Toby pottered off to the living room and Dylan climbed off the bed and crawled under it. I checked the obituaries on my phone. Let's face it, if I had carked it in the night there was no way I was making the effort to get out of bed...even if Ian does email me on forum business two hours before dawn...but as my nursemaids had left me to my own devices and the BBC had not reported my demise I got out of bed and put the kettle on.

Old Brown Java coffee freshly ground helped the morning tablets slide down. Annoy Ian on the phone, take Ellie to work, sit in the Tesco carpark to write this missive (without internet at the minute thanks to the cable being cut) and I'm heading back home. SSS then choose today's fragrance. Today I will mostly be wearing...Zadig & Voltaire. Vanilla, incense, grapefruit in the top and sandalwood in the base!

• Like 12

A cold shiver just went down my spine when I saw that Timbo had quoted me on the "depth and speed log" thread. I thought "Oh no, he's going to tell me I got it all wrong and the Romans never did it like that".

Luckily I seem to have got away with it! Happy New Year Timbo, and welcome back!

Did we miss him? Answers on a postcard please. . . . 

• 1 month later...

So, just when I thought it was safe to enter the general population again...Gracie gets chicken pox. It turns out I've never had chicken pox, mumps or measles. I've had malaria, dysentery and a whole host of unpleasantness associated with a life 'roughing it' in 'forn climes', but none of the domestic type childhood illnesses. So an increase in my usual headache had folks worrying a bit.

Not as worried as you guys will be when you discover my newfound fame as an 'International Fashion, Politics and Culture Correspondent'. Does anyone remember Jesse's Fashion Tips from the Fast Show? Jesse and I have a lot in common. This week I have mostly been wearing Creed. It turns out that my weird sense of humour if you can call it humour, and my tendency to write 'what I see' coupled with an ability to get dressed in the morning makes me a suitable men's fashion correspondent and I now have a monthly column in an American men's fashion and fragrance magazine.

For those wanting to know...skinny jeans with rips are 'out', and the flowing lines of traditional tailoring are 'in'. The current trend of makeup and beards for blokes is meant to be provoking. Now, I don't know about you lot, but I grew up listening to David Bowie and watching Roy Wood's Wizard on TV.  I hit my teens in the Punk era, went through the New Romantic era, into Ska, out the other side into heavy Metal and had a beard and hair longer than Gandalf until I was in my thirties. So, a bloke in makeup, with a beard, is not what I'd call particularly provoking. Although a male model mincing up the catwalk with his three sizes too big trousers at half-mast and a look of 'kill me now' in his eyes will cause me to snigger.

• Like 8

Oh Timbo, how wonderful it is to read you again. 

Not sure that “mincing” is a suitably pc phrase in these so enlightened times though. Watch you don’t get hauled out for being something phobic. 

I’m off to mince about and have a gay old time ( topcat) 

M

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Malanka said:

Now my age is showing . Have a gay old time is the flintstones. He’s a bar he’s a tip he’s the championship, he’s the most tip top, top TIM.

That’s TOPCAT. I always thought of myself as Benny. Which cat were you? 

M

I'd have to be Fancy! :default_norty: