BA In Planning Dispute

JennyMorgan

1 minute ago, Paul said:

I couldn't agree more. What's next? So I buy my house by the river, and obtain planning permission to build a single story garage to store my nice new soft top out of the weather. 8m by 4.5m should suffice. It will be timber framed with larch clapboard cladding and thatched roof in keeping with the house.

So I build my garage, but I make it a metre and a half bigger all around for a bit of extra space, and decide to build a granny flat in the roof space for when the kids come to visit. What's the problem. I built it out of the meterials stated, it looks like a garage and I keep my car in it. Would that be acceptable?

I could write a long and true article on that very same scenario and once again it would be no great credit to the BA! I won't bore you though!

And let's not forget something not highlighted so far in this thread. The Authority has already been quite adaptable in this planning case, permitting a development that it would not normally in order that the applicant can raise revenue to restore the Ice House (and then line his own pockets for years afterwards, a better pension than Index Linked these days!).

The least the applicant could do was stick to the permission as granted.

I think I'm going to have to back off this thread soon. I might start being tagged a BA supporter. Rumour has it I'm even close to Marshy's Christmas card list.

• Haha 4

6 minutes ago, Paul said:

I couldn't agree more. What's next? So I buy my house by the river, and obtain planning permission to build a single story garage to store my nice new soft top out of the weather. 8m by 4.5m should suffice. It will be timber framed with larch clapboard cladding and thatched roof in keeping with the house.

So I build my garage, but I make it a metre and a half bigger all around for a bit of extra space, and decide to build a granny flat in the roof space for when the kids come to visit. What's the problem. I built it out of the meterials stated, it looks like a garage and I keep my car in it. Would that be acceptable?

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me! :default_gbxhmm:

• Like 1

Sorry but I was starting to feel that The Broads National Pike was getting a little long in the tooth. This latest protraction probably confirms that. It needs to chose when to take the bait a little more carefully for fear of being disregarded! There's a time and a place, this issue isn't it! IMHO

26 minutes ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Sorry but I was starting to feel that The Broads National Pike was getting a little long in the tooth. This latest protraction probably confirms that. It needs to chose when to take the bait a little more carefully for fear of being disregarded! There's a time and a place, this issue isn't it! IMHO

Inevitably we shall have to agree to disagree! 

Many a true word written in jest! No smoke without fire!

I've always had great respect for the National Pike but as ECIPA says he has to be careful in choosing his targets. The Authority supplies sufficient legitimate ammunition for his ascerbic discourse but this latest harangue suggests that he might simply be resolved to attacking them regardless of the subject or it's validity. 

Once you do that your comment and opinion becomes worthless. 

• Like 2

The flammability or otherwise is completely irrelevant in an ordinary house - cannot even see why it was mentioned at all!

What is much more relevant to the Broads as a whole is that wood is undeniably  more appropriate, attractive and sustainable - as someone kindly pointed out what is NOT appropriate is concrete. It looks what it is - inappropriate to Irstead and a cheap option. Surely waney edged boarding would look just so much nicer even to you diehards who want to moan at the BA just because its the BA!!!

(Perhaps if I get enough support,  I will have to rethink the Christmas card idea - wintry picture of SOB maybe?? )

40 minutes ago, marshman said:

The flammability or otherwise is completely irrelevant in an ordinary house - cannot even see why it was mentioned at all!

What is much more relevant to the Broads as a whole is that wood is undeniably  more appropriate, attractive and sustainable - as someone kindly pointed out what is NOT appropriate is concrete. It looks what it is - inappropriate to Irstead and a cheap option. Surely waney edged boarding would look just so much nicer even to you diehards who want to moan at the BA just because its the BA!!!

(Perhaps if I get enough support,  I will have to rethink the Christmas card idea - wintry picture of SOB maybe?? )

Marshman, it doesn't happen often, but I couldn't agree more. Am I on your Christmas card list now :default_rofl:

In the wake of Grenfell the latest Broads National Pike headline is in particularly poor taste!

Private Eye is well known for its investigative satire, but it also maintains a very large fighting fund for defending against litigation cases. I wonder how deep the Pikes gills are?

1 hour ago, EastCoastIPA said:

Marshman, it doesn't happen often, but I couldn't agree more. Am I on your Christmas card list now :default_rofl:

In the wake of Grenfell the latest Broads National Pike headline is in particularly poor taste!

Private Eye is well known for its investigative satire, but it also maintains a very large fighting fund for defending against litigation cases. I wonder how deep the Pikes gills are?

Poor taste, have to agree but I doubt that it was intentional so perhaps your comparison is unfair. That aside it's not a groundless comment. I recently disposed of the timber cladding off a redundant chicken shed. Over time it had dried out, had a few coats of creosote and by heck it burnt with a real vengeance. Had it been on a block built building then I suspect that there would have been a membrane behind it, bitumen related perhaps. Any fire in timber cladding could easily run up and into the roof space, not outside the realms of possibility. Thankfully I have concrete hanging tiles for the cladding on my house.

9 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I recently disposed of the timber cladding off a redundant chicken shed. Over time it had dried out, had a few coats of creosote and by heck it burnt with a real vengeance.

I have to agree with that. We recently flattened and burnt an old shed at my Aunts which had stood since Noah ran aground. Years of drying our and biannual applications of oil based creosote left it highly flammable. We put a match to it and within just a few seconds her garden reminiscent of a scene from Backdraft.

Of course the counter argument is that modern creosote is no longer oil based. 

And probably with a stud wall immediately behind it too!

The concrete cladding referred to will have absolutely no bearing on the flammability of that house or otherwise - it impacts only the visual aspect and that is the point. Any oblique reference to any other issue is in extremely poor taste  - but I expect nothing else from that publication which is why it continues to be treated with distain.  I rarely read it and am not going to start now!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Poor taste, have to agree but I doubt that it was intentional so perhaps your comparison is unfair. That aside it's not a groundless comment. I recently disposed of the timber cladding off a redundant chicken shed. Over time it had dried out, had a few coats of creosote and by heck it burnt with a real vengeance. Had it been on a block built building then I suspect that there would have been a membrane behind it, bitumen related perhaps. Any fire in timber cladding could easily run up and into the roof space, not outside the realms of possibility. Thankfully I have concrete hanging tiles for the cladding on my house.

I think the residents of Brennan Bank might disagree. They are waiting for their cladding to be replaced because it has failed fire tests. That is a genuine safety issue and concern, not some cheap satire at the expense of the local planning authority. To this day residents of those blocks are not allowed to park their cars in the underground car parks since revised fire safety advice was issued after Grenfell. Wonder what their views might be on this cheap satire?

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/cladding-replaced-five-norwich-tower-blocks-grenfell-1-5743837

I wonder if The Broads National Pike will be calling for a ban on all thatch roofs next? It is satire in the worst possible taste and has done the Pike no favours.