Rip John Wilson

Simondo

I've just heard the news that renowned Norfolk angler and angling TV presenter John Wilson has passed away this morning. This is sad news to me as I grew up watching his videos and TV shows intently, in fact it was his love of the Broads that brought me down here first of all.

My sincere condolences to John's family and friends.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

He was 75. Although I've fished alongside John on occasions I never classed him as a close friend, just a friendly fellow angler, he often fished near where I live. On one occasion he'd been after a known 'thirty pounder' when I chanced to paddle past him. He'd decided to pack up and invited me into his swim which I duly moved into, if only for a chat. Within minutes I was into and subsequently landed the pike that he'd been after for two days, she went 34lbs 12oz, my personal best pike to-date. John, bless him, had the good grace to be pleased for me and treat me to his hearty laugh. I have good memories of the man and his brews. I was shocked to hear of his passing, not least because he was not that much older than me! I've lost several similarly aged friends this year, worrying!

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

What is often not realised is that John was probably one of the finest roach anglers that this country has ever produced. His writing on the subject is as valid today as it ever was and is well worth searching out. 

Another EDP article:

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/son-of-john-wilson-lee-wilson-pays-tribute-to-his-angler-father-1-5777793

Given the diatribe we had on another thread earlier I was waiting for comments regarding his tax exile in Thailand .....

Not a fisherman, catching fish always seemed to get in the way of reading a good book on the river bank for me. Still I enjoyed watching his programmes. The likes of Matt Hayes could learn a lot from his delivery style. 

RIP Mr Wilson.