Steering Wheel Centre

Blimey you have a challenge there.

We had a nylon tapered centre inc keyway which last a whole 30 odd minutes during our first 'Sea Trials' on Barton Broad.  Had to helm her back to base with the wheel off using a set of vice grips.  Finding someone in Norfolk to supply / produce - Really?   I took it home and went to a local engineering firm up here in Donny (Bawtry to be precise) to make us a brass one, walked in to their reception with chewed knackered nylon example, a couple of days later brass one was ready to collect and not a lot of money either.  Well chuffed

Griff

• Like 1

I assume the 2.5" is the outer diameter of the hub, it's the taper that is the critical bit, are you planning to make your own wheel?

(I have a spoked wooden one in my loft that needs a bit of tidying, 3/4" taper I think but can't tell you OD without looking)

dnks34, you can get sleeves for that conversion I believe.

Griff, I guess the cashless card payment only breed nowadays is going to have to learn that nothing comes cheap when payed on a card, walk in the back door of a workshop with a bit of cash and you can get lots done and much quicker/cheaper, just don't let the guvnor see....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Smoggy said:

I assume the 2.5" is the outer diameter of the hub, it's the taper that is the critical bit, are you planning to make your own wheel?

(I have a spoked wooden one in my loft that needs a bit of tidying, 3/4" taper I think but can't tell you OD without looking)

dnks34, you can get sleeves for that conversion I believe.

Griff, I guess the cashless card payment only breed nowadays is going to have to learn that nothing comes cheap when payed on a card, walk in the back door of a workshop with a bit of cash and you can get lots done and much quicker/cheaper, just don't let the guvnor see....

You can get a collar to put a 1 inch taper wheel on a 3/4 inch taper hub but when you have a 1 inch taper hub and you are looking for a new wheel to fit its not so easy!

I eventually found one.......in the Netherlands! 

Hi Smitch6, welcome to the funny farm. You may be lucky to get a sensible answer on here but don't hold your breath.

I think you will be very lucky to find an exact replacement for your wheel centre but here is my offering.

You could try chatting with a very nice copper who does wood turning and make you a bespoke centre that would look well posh. There is also the possibility of getting someone to 3D print something to do the job. There are a lot of people here with many talent, sadly not me.

Colin:default_xmas6:

• Like 2