New Web Cam Coming On Stream

JennyMorgan

100_3500.thumb.jpg.f75068f8628e232bb091b919000da0df.jpg

The last time me an ol' Wossnairme were there, we noticed this tall metal mast being erected on the corner of the moorings at the Rushcutters. There was also yet more tree felling going on all around it.

If I am right, then this location will not give much of an interesting webcam view of Thorpe, or the River Green, but it will certainly give a view along the full length of the moorings, in order to monitor them.

If I am also right, then the three hundred odd quid cost of the camera, will be very far outweighed by the cost of its installation!

I think you might be right Vaughan, but it had me wondering. Imagine this ...

We at the BA have, on the expressed instructions of our mighty leader Dr Packman, been instructed to set up and run 6 webcam sites, mainly showing navigable parts of the Norfolk Broads (National Park) to aid and assist people already there and to encourage new visitors. Further we are inviting you, the stakeholders and visitors, to select the six sites, and what the cameras should show.

What would YOU suggest? 

47 minutes ago, marshman said:

Vaughan - you old cynic!! As if......!!

I am well used to the machinations of Thorpe Parish Council and so I don't imagine that their successors are much different.

A much better monitoring system was always the residents of the Richmond Court Flats, across the road from the staithe. As soon as those net curtains start twitching in the windows you know you have been spotted doing something they don't like. A phone call to the council will surely follow!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

But think of all that incoming cash when they start ‘fining’ boats for overstaying! :default_norty:

Unusually for me I know , a sensible question .

if a syndicate boat moors , for example  at Ranworth , and the following morning a different share holder takes over the boat and returns to the moorings less than 24hours later are they liable to be fined ? 

Same applies to a hire boat ??

• Like 1

The question in relation to hire boats has come up before. After all, how do you know where the last person on the boat moored the night before you took it over. That could happen in many places.

Plus, as happened to us, we moved from Ranworth Island to the staithe one morning just to get water and some shopping. We were only there about 15 minutes. By chance, not by planning, we ended up back at Ranworth that night and this time got on the staithe. The next morning we were asked by someone checking the boats registration numbers, to move on as we had been clocked there the previous day. 

Yes strictly speaking we were there twice in 24 hours. And anyone could claim the same story as we did. But in reality there has to be some trust and some allowance for use of services ... or maybe not!

In one of the Rascal's videos some long while ago he moored briefly at Paddy's Lane, then went back onto Barton Broad, then moored back in the same place. Should he have done that? Strictly speaking maybe not. Did anyone care? Not on that occasion as far as I know.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Unusually for me I know , a sensible question .

if a syndicate boat moors , for example  at Ranworth , and the following morning a different share holder takes over the boat and returns to the moorings less than 24hours later are they liable to be fined ? 

Same applies to a hire boat ??

A few years back I can remember a story about this issue. A hire boat had moored at Ranworth on a Friday night before finishing their holiday the following day. That Saturday afternoon  the new hirers moored there only to be told to move on! They were categorically told that the boat had been there the previous evening and the guy would not accept that, as they were new hirers, it was a different scenario. I believe eventually a BA ranger put him straight but not before a bit of unpleasantness. 

I am sure that my question has been raised before.

If you have to leave the Thorpe St Andrew river green mooring immediately after your 24 hour period has elapsed, what happens if you are unable to go under either of the railway bridges because of the tide.

Or, indeed could squeeze under but lack of confidence prevents an attempt.

Ask the audience, phone a friend, go for 50/50?

Or ring the Parish Clerk?

Andrew

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, vanessan said:

Ring the Parish Clerk and agree a price!

Well, that certainly is an option. During office hours I suspect. What about High days and holidays. Weekends and bank holidays. 

Gulp!

I would retire to The Buck and sneak out of the mooring under the cover of darkness and take my chance.

• Like 1

Having clocked more hours than most (if not all) on River Green this year I tell you 1st hand what a wonderfull place it is, full of people enjoing the wildlife and views. 

Sadly it does also have a darker element, TSA has its fair share of undesirables and unfortunates, there is the youth element that have no regard for other peoples things, attempting to gain access into the Islander's post box, and jumping on my day boats (they got a shock, I could see them from the Rushcutters!!), the drunk guy with his huge backpack and can's of budget cider I think fair to say homeless, he fell asleep in the full summer sun (and that day was scorchio), I went to see if this man was ok, he woke as i spoke to him, i passed his glasses that had fallen to the ground and all I can say is I should have let him burn, I did not ask for his rudness.  Day after day myself and the town councils ground team would clean up beer cans, bottles and takeaway litter, too hard for people to use the bins that the town council provide and empty.

As I understand the webcam plan is to allow the public to view the green and river from the comfort of home, many people seem to like to do this and people are quick to shout when webcams go down, the webcam and some cctv cameras if they happen will give a little extra security to myself and full time moorers paying to use the Green, as well as active deterent to those who wish to misuse the green.

The Town Council ground team visit the Green every day, certainly seven days a week throughout the months i was there and often more than once a day, they do their daily duties one of which is making note of the boats visiting the Green, as far as what happends if a boat can't get back under the bridge?  that boat will be allowed to stay until the tide falls enough to enable the boat to leave, the Town council numbers are easy to find if you need to inform them, or if its in season you can always talk to the friendly guy with the day boats, he will happily let the council guys know why your boat has not moved on next time they they come down.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

Thank you very much for that Mark and I can confirm that the antisocial behaviour that you describe has always been a problem on the River Green, especially at night.

Perhaps the Town Council would have got a lot more understanding for this camera, if they had told the real story to the EDP?

36 minutes ago, Wussername said:

I would retire to The Buck and sneak out of the mooring under the cover of darkness and take my chance.

I also agree with that! I could never negotiate the railway bridge in Thorpe in the dark, without a couple of pints of "twos" in the Buck first!

34 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Thank you very much for that Mark and I can confirm that the antisocial behaviour that you describe has always been a problem on the River Green, especially at night.

Perhaps the Town Council would have got a lot more understanding for this camera, if they had told the real story to the EDP?

I have to sit on the fence a little and the town council know this as i try and stay on good terms with all, but i can say from first hand experience that you do not have to say much about anything and the EDP run with it, their desire to fill column inches and a obsession with Thorpe st Andrew see's them take any info, or a quote often out of context and go with it.  Sadly the EDP is for many a great way to keep up with local news.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

In my case, living a thousand miles away, I read their website every day to try to stay in touch.

Luckily I also have this forum, to give me a more accurate perspective!

We are overdue a beer, next time you are over give me a shout and I can pass on the gossip from my angle.

3 minutes ago, MBA Marine said:

We are overdue a beer, next time you are over give me a shout and I can pass on the gossip from my angle.

You're dead right! I am sorry I never got in contact last time but family matters rather got in the way and I am afraid I never got the chance.

Look forward to it!   :default_beerchug: