New Web Cam Coming On Stream

JennyMorgan

Morning all. Can't stop as of to have lunch with friends as its Ruth's Birthday.

Vaughan, the new steel pole now provides the power to the island. The old pole was not going to last much longer. There is a story about Roger and the electric which I will relate when I have more time or next time you and Suzi are here.

The trees have been reduced or removed to protect the wall and old gaol but while the quayheading was being replaced they caught the wall with the digger bucket and half of it fell down. We had lots of bods with clipboards discussing what was to be done but in the end just a flint wall was put there and no gaol.

As Mark has pointed out we have our share of undesirables who during the warmer months think it's their right to mess with the boats moored on the green. Several have been taken only to be recovered in the city. 

There are many improvements that could be made at the green. The webcam is a step in the right direction but I would not want to moor my boat overnight without being onboard. 

Anyway, the sun is out and the green looks a picture. The fishermen have moved in and people are feeding the ducks. What more can you want in the middle of November. 

Colin:default_xmas6:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...

Just out of interest, as it's a post about Thorpe Green. Did the local council, as they intended, take control of the moorings after the B.A. dropped them. Also, did they actually bring in the ruling that only craft which were "pleasing to the eye" would be allowed to moor there?...

Hi Andrew, the old bylaws are still being used, I.e. Stay 24 hr with no return for 24 hr. The new bylaws are still being rubber stamped as far as I know but boat reg numbers are being taken twice a day even at weekends. Time will tell if they ever get their private mooring scheme off the ground.

Colin :default_drinks:

I have no further semi insider gossip on the private mooring, last i heard from last year the plan is still to go ahead. Im not sure on the current hold up.  Rest assured 'aesthetically pleasing' is a phrase that the town council are reminded of regularly (often by me) and is constant reminder that you have to choose your words very carfully when talking to the EDP as they know how to stir up and sensationalise for their gain.

• Like 2

I don't think we will see the webcam until the conversion of the Ladies into an 'Information Centre' has been completed. They haven't even started on it yet. By the way, the Gents will become a unisex so the Ladies won't have to wait till they get home :default_biggrin:.

Don't hold your breath on this, we talking local council here.

Colin:default_drinks:

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Islander said:

I don't think we will see the webcam until the conversion of the Ladies into an 'Information Centre' has been completed. They haven't even started on it yet. By the way, the Gents will become a unisex so the Ladies won't have to wait till they get home :default_biggrin:.

Don't hold your breath on this, we talking local council here.

Colin:default_drinks:

Colin, last time i had a meeting on the subject the building had still not changed ownership from Broadland council to TSA town council, but that said I have not had a meeting for some months.

I would very much like a room to use though, the Gazebo is great when the sun shines but the fun stops with wind and rain.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Do they have any customers yet? I wouldn't want to moor my private boat, where they are suggesting!

Hi Vaughan, it would not be my 1st choice to keep a private boat, but the price offered was/is exeptionaly competitive for TSA residents, they did have enquiries from owners.

Hi Mark. I wasn't sure as to the present situation but it doesn't surprise me that things move so slowly. I have not as yet approached them over renting a space next to the ladder near us otherwise it will mean taking our dinghy down to your end of the green and then walk back to the church end to get our car. This may not sound like too much of an inconvenience to some but with Ruth having arthritis and my back not going to get any better that is a long trip in wet and freezing weather. Should they come up with a sensible contract and statement of their obligations to the leaseholder I may sign on the dotted line. That's if my dinghy is pretty enough, if not I think I'll paint it blue with pink spots. Red with black spots seem OK :default_biggrin:.

As you know, there are likely to be security issues with boats left overnight, especially at the weekends and a webcam with recording is of no use to the west end of the green, in fact I see the webcam as nothing more than a PR exercise.

p.s. When will you bring your fleet back this year.

• Thanks 1

Colin,  to rent a birth just to land your dinghy does sound a little extream, but i do understand your issue,  if its ever of any use you are welcome to motor down to Bishy corner and leave your dinghy with me if ever your car is further that way. 

If you rent a space you might find others use it, you may well be happy with that, but issues could develop with dinghy's swinging on one rope rubbing against private owners boats and leaving or removing paint.  My end  there is a certain green and yellow dinghy that sports 'Bishy red' paint on its wooden rubbing strake, I moved that dinghy most days and asked if they could please leave it so it did not swing onto my boats, worse things happen at sea but it is annoying.

We did well to get away with Red and pushed our luck with spots!  Thope st Andrew is predominantly Blue voting, blue is the colour :default_norty:

We return for easter hols, early april.

Mark. Not as extreme as you think. There could be four of us wishing to share 50 ft (25ft either side of the ladder). The mooring will need a few more posts or just rings so that all boats can be moored for n aft. Not rocket science. 

Thanks for the offer to moor but the idea is not to have to motor to the other end of the green or lug shopping that far.

It will be interesting when Pub and Paddle start hiring again as they always have to be told to leave the ladders clear.

Blue, I've always like blue. The point of the tatty looking dinghies is that no one wants to nick them. A Catch 22 as far as the council is concerned. Nice dinghies are stolen.