Broads Toll 2019

Poppy

8 minutes ago, annv said:

I think one of the first places was Dilham moorings, the local houses complained about boats running there engines at night at the mooring there which is very close to the houses, can't remember date, when wife not present. John

The Dilham ones were one of the last they were only installed about 3 years ago, Ranworth was possibly the first on the North side.

Fred

• 2 weeks later...

There is a very interesting article on the Daily Mail website this morning (that says a lot about me, doesn't it?) from a lady who has just leased a new electric car. Sorry I don't know how to link it.

It bears out a lot of what I have been saying and goes a long way to explain why we don't have electric cabin cruisers on hire on the Broads at the moment!

All sounds about right!

At this moment in time, I am much more concerned about the non eco batteries, i.e. how they are made and of what, and how you dispose of them!! No wonder they are so slow in taking off - I am not sure we have got any further than the good old milk float!

In the meantime I will drive around in my diesel car, allegedly killing scores of people whilst hiding from the fact that the switch back to petrol cars is already reversing the trend of reducing CO2 emissions.

And finally I will go on holiday by plane, thereby emitting in one journey, on my behalf ,  far more CO2 per mile per passenger than a car BUT if the government has told me so, I will consider an electric car next time!

Or perhaps not.......!

As for boats, there is no hope yet and methinks I will be long gone!!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Until we see electric lorries then I doubt that electric boats will stand much of a chance. Lorries and many big boats have one thing in common, they are bigger than cars!

Electric lorries will be on the streets from next year, there’s already been a trial with busses which was a sucess.  As long as you ignore the diesel gensets powering the chargers as the utility companies were completely useless in providing power.  I think providing enough power to re-charge electric vehicles is going to be sticking point.

• Like 3

with the current infrastructure, providing the energy will be nigh on impossible, these charging points take nearly 3x the average power of your average house, if every house had to have a charging point, we would need to generate 4x as much as we do now, add to that the existing networks are not designed to give those loads. my house is fed (along with 15 other houses) on the same size cable as 1 charger would require, add 1 charger to that and the cable would fry in an instant. multiply that around any house older than about 5 years old, and you will see the size of the problem.

• Like 2

Also as the take-up of electric vehicles progresses there will come a point where the revenue from petrol/diesel decreases to an extent that whoever is in govt. at that time will add duty to electricity.

Watch the sparks fly (pun intended) as vehicle charging points all have to be altered to differentiate between domestic use and vehicular use. Guess who will pay for the special meters needed and modifications required to ensure vehicles can only be charged at outlets metered for duty!!!

No one will think of this until several systems are in use that will almost certainly require standardising!

Like most things new it takes time to iron out the problems and having a solution, the women in the Mail takes the extrem who would buy a electric car without having a home charging point it beggars believe she could have had a electric point installed at her home at a discounted rate three months before delivery of her vehicle, expecting to be able to go to the local supermarket and get free  power when it suited her!!! Yes there are issues that need sorting like perhaps a camera that will record non electric vehicles using  public charging points, and fine them aka  bus lanes, electric vehicle are only suitable for people that have off road dedicated parking spots. electric buses and taxis are working well in london. i know two people with electric cars, one has a BMW hybrid he travel 5 miles into work each day charges up over night for less than £1=00, he recently went to Bournemouth when the battery runs down as he travels he can still travel at 60/70 mph wth on the on board petrol geny he just loses the full power potential. but still cheaper per mile.  the other has a Jaguar he charges up at work for free travel to work cost 0. Boats have the best potential by having no contrants on battery size/weight so can use lithium iron which gives cheapest and longest return, together with a small dedicated generator and space for solar panels for recharging when shore power is unavailable. Herbert Woods have one but unfortunately here say says that they haven't made the generator silent, this can be done like the large Trader/Brooms Sunseeker's do, it just has a money penalty, how long before we get the £2=00 per lt diesel, and polluting penalties, like in London it won't be long before all private vehicles will be banned in cities unless they are electric or Hydrogen powered. Evan the Royal Navy has gone over to Electric powered ships ablett using diesel genys in combinations but this is cheaper and more flexible. John

• Like 1

When I can get a real 300 mile range using either the heater in winter or the aircon in summer then I will seriously consider an electric car.

An electric car could do 99% of my Norfolk travel, but what happens when I want to see my son in Bucks, or holiday in Devon? 

I live on my own and just can't justify two cars, unless on a flight of fantasy I go down the route of buying a Mustang or sports car.

• Like 1

Grendal all you need is a white meter, this will then enable you to charge up overnight using spare capacity as with storage heaters, if you charge at the low/slow rate a normal household supply will surface its only the fast and high rate charging regimes that need a larger supply, people don't have to always have a higher rated supply for stage heaters, same idea. the large nuclear generators are more efficient when working at max capacity so charging at night/early morning helps to soak up the spare capacity which has the benefit of being cheaper. John

Hi Cris A Hybrid car will accomplish this,  cheaper than an all fossil fueled one would its just that you ( may) not get the full range of power all the time, the average car journey is less than 5 miles. How often do you travel 300 miles compared to short journeys, many of my journeys are short town driving at less than 20 mph a electric car is deal for shortstop, start, slow motoring, no wear and tear on your clutch and brakes. John 

• Thanks 1

All interesting reading but back to the Toll!!......

As council tax will be on the rise again I wonder if many boat owners will begin to feel the pinch with the accumulation of rises in living costs etc, for some the Toll may start to become the bridge to far.....

I think the powers that be must have very imaginative ways of justifying spending as they are always strapped yet we pay more year on year.........where is all the money going? what costs more or  are some people doing very well out of it on their luxurious salaries at the cost of resources and workforce? 

It doesnt add up to my way of thinking...

• Like 1