Wintertime Cooking

Cal

32 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

I was cooked a "delicious" roast this weekend by the lady. She is such a wonderful cook, it was "gorgeous" :default_smiley-angelic002:

4697E92700000578-0-image-a-12_1511344710906.thumb.jpg.b41483c095cd97b12a038e6f881345dc.jpg

It's a good job you're a Firefighter babe :default_biggrin:

Ok so I burnt your dinner once, you're never gonna let me live that down are you? :facepalm:

Grace :default_icon_kiss:

Just now, Gracie said:

Ok so I burnt your dinner once, you're never gonna let me live that down are you? :facepalm:

Once? :default_blink:

And the one time you are talking about, you were making a salad, how do you even manage to burn a salad?? :default_biggrin:

59 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Regular cooking when we`re afloat is Pasta Amatricianna.

Oh good shout Sir. A lovely spicy pasta dish, not recommended the evening before a big run if chilli makes you.....erm....run :default_smiley-angelic002:

Lovely

On 24/11/2018 at 18:15, grendel said:

I tend to limit my cooking on board, something easy like bangers and mash or even a fray bentos pie and mash. but then again I have been known to bake bread on board too.

Fray bentos pie and mash. proper boat food. Cannot whack it with a big stick. Bangers are great but tend to spit everywhere. If you cannot be bothered to cook, a burger from the layby just south of the Ship at Brandon Creek on the A10!!

On 25/11/2018 at 23:09, keifsmate said:

Fray bentos pie and mash. proper boat food. Cannot whack it with a big stick. Bangers are great but tend to spit everywhere. If you cannot be bothered to cook, a burger from the layby just south of the Ship at Brandon Creek on the A10!!

Cooking a Fray Bentos pie on board does become a problem when you don't have an oven though :default_blink:

19 minutes ago, Cal said:

Cooking a Fray Bentos pie on board does become a problem when you don't have an oven thoug:default_blink:

You could always go for the Fray Bentos Steak and kidney pudding because you can cook that in a saucepan of Simmering water, just a thought.

I have a hob top pressure cooker on Nyx. Best thing I ever bought when it comes to winter warming nosh. Beef stews, Turkey drumsticks, sheep's hearts etc.etc. 

Problem however. . .  I cook enough for at least two days and finish it in one sitting. It's amazing what a bottle of red does for ones appetite.

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

Jay am I correct in thinking you prefer your food cremated? (must make for interesting snacks whilst working :default_icon_eek: )

I wouldn't say prefer as such G.

More a case of that is how it always gets served to me so my sense of taste learned it was better to just die off quickly than suffer long term :default_smile:

4 hours ago, eddybear said:

You could always go for the Fray Bentos Steak and kidney pudding because you can cook that in a saucepan of Simmering water, just a thought.

We have had them in the past. We were not really keen on them though. The suet was just too soggy.

The last offering from Fray Bentos that we attempted to eat on the boat consisted of soggy pastry, gloopy gravy and little discernable by way of meat.  It left me with griping indigestion, so is not an experience I will be repeating. There is another one in the store cupboard, which along with age-old cans of cassoulet and choucroute garni will, I suspect, serve more to maintain the trim of the boat than for any gastronomic purpose.

When provisioning for a week on the boat, we like to buy cooked hams from Roys which keep for ages in the fridge and can be used to make sandwiches or salads, served up with an egg and some chips from a convenient chippy, be eaten accompanied by veg and new potatoes or even be added to an omelette. They are cheap to buy and very tasty.

The last time I had a Fray Bentos pie it came with a different topping. I don't know what it was but it was delicious.

20181129_101933.jpg.7cc3cccd508af47b92c18f450314338a.jpg

(Not my hand holding the tin)

I always remember that delicious pie because it was the day before I was crippled over with agonising stomach cramps and vomiting. I never worked out where that bug came from.