• Announcements

Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

You can Sign up or log in with your Facebook account and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

• calender payment

Calendar Paymene

Delivery Options
    Your NBN Forum Username:

• If you would like to support the forum, please consider visiting the forum shop, where you can purchase such items as NBN Burgees, Window Stickers, or even a custom Limited Edition Wooden Throttle Control Knob

Forum Shop

Sign in to follow this  
Cal

Wintertime Cooking

This thread just gets better and better!

:default_icon_kiss:

Our Sunday joint of pork is to go in the bin today. Discovered that our fridge has bailed out:default_crying1animated:

I was cooked a "delicious" roast this weekend by the lady. She is such a wonderful cook, it was "gorgeous" :default_smiley-angelic002:

4697E92700000578-0-image-a-12_1511344710906.thumb.jpg.b41483c095cd97b12a038e6f881345dc.jpg

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

I was cooked a "delicious" roast this weekend by the lady. She is such a wonderful cook, it was "gorgeous" :default_smiley-angelic002:

4697E92700000578-0-image-a-12_1511344710906.thumb.jpg.b41483c095cd97b12a038e6f881345dc.jpg

It's a good job you're a Firefighter babe :default_biggrin:

Ok so I burnt your dinner once, you're never gonna let me live that down are you? :facepalm:

Grace :default_icon_kiss:

• Haha 1

Just now, Gracie said:

Ok so I burnt your dinner once, you're never gonna let me live that down are you? :facepalm:

Once? :default_blink:

And the one time you are talking about, you were making a salad, how do you even manage to burn a salad?? :default_biggrin:

• Haha 3

Bloody boats. £500 for a new fridge and then they want an extra £30 for the mounting kit :default_shocked1animated:

you're lucky our mounting kit was £64

• Confused 1

Rip off really!

Thankfully it's cold out so the deck is doing  grand job of keeping the tinnies cold.

And it's  great excuse to go to the pub later for dinner :default_winko:

Regular cooking when we`re afloat is Pasta Amatricianna. only 2 pots required. If we do cook a proper meal, with meat and veg, we always use a 3 stack steamer, only one ring required plus grill or oven.

59 minutes ago, SPEEDTRIPLE said:

Regular cooking when we`re afloat is Pasta Amatricianna.

Oh good shout Sir. A lovely spicy pasta dish, not recommended the evening before a big run if chilli makes you.....erm....run :default_smiley-angelic002:

Lovely

22 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

Oh good shout Sir. A lovely spicy pasta dish, not recommended the evening before a big run if chilli makes you.....erm....run :default_smiley-angelic002:

Lovely

I always leave out the chillies, i think it tastes better, and you don`t have a burning **** the following morning.

• Haha 1

On 24/11/2018 at 18:15, grendel said:

I tend to limit my cooking on board, something easy like bangers and mash or even a fray bentos pie and mash. but then again I have been known to bake bread on board too.

Fray bentos pie and mash. proper boat food. Cannot whack it with a big stick. Bangers are great but tend to spit everywhere. If you cannot be bothered to cook, a burger from the layby just south of the Ship at Brandon Creek on the A10!!

13 hours ago, Gracie said:

It's a good job you're a Firefighter babe :default_biggrin:

Grace :default_icon_kiss:

Cooking is easy, when it is brown, it is done, when it is black, it is buggered.

• Haha 1

I'll have you know this was the best erm...... thingy, I've ever tasted :default_smiley-angelic002: 

You cooked it beautifully Grace my darling, don't listen to them :default_icon_kiss:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/11/2018 at 23:09, keifsmate said:

Fray bentos pie and mash. proper boat food. Cannot whack it with a big stick. Bangers are great but tend to spit everywhere. If you cannot be bothered to cook, a burger from the layby just south of the Ship at Brandon Creek on the A10!!

Cooking a Fray Bentos pie on board does become a problem when you don't have an oven though :default_blink:

19 minutes ago, Cal said:

Cooking a Fray Bentos pie on board does become a problem when you don't have an oven thoug:default_blink:

You could always go for the Fray Bentos Steak and kidney pudding because you can cook that in a saucepan of Simmering water, just a thought.

I have a hob top pressure cooker on Nyx. Best thing I ever bought when it comes to winter warming nosh. Beef stews, Turkey drumsticks, sheep's hearts etc.etc. 

Problem however. . .  I cook enough for at least two days and finish it in one sitting. It's amazing what a bottle of red does for ones appetite.

32 minutes ago, Cal said:

Cooking a Fray Bentos pie on board does become a problem when you don't have an oven though :default_blink:

1526882142_61qPQl0jsL._SY355_.jpg.96b7a270def2231511a18b83ae1db918.jpg

20181128_083952.jpg.2cb8b1af979c31e014e4874a55b894e6.jpg

71FuYBAtsQL._SY450_.jpg.6df64f125f0c76181c9f5a0a8513ebf7.jpg

20181128_084009.jpg.7bd6cecfd07ae75bf54c606d42bcb822.jpg

a4150ae1954b03f783b795a8fa8ea9f6.jpg.8573fcf0a2387b5b7c5e7558a237cbd5.jpg

emoji-mmm.png.ecedf7173898b3986cb3964ef94c7734.png

• Haha 3

Jay am I correct in thinking you prefer your food cremated? (must make for interesting snacks whilst working :default_icon_eek: )

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, grendel said:

Jay am I correct in thinking you prefer your food cremated? (must make for interesting snacks whilst working :default_icon_eek: )

I wouldn't say prefer as such G.

More a case of that is how it always gets served to me so my sense of taste learned it was better to just die off quickly than suffer long term :default_smile:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, eddybear said:

You could always go for the Fray Bentos Steak and kidney pudding because you can cook that in a saucepan of Simmering water, just a thought.

We have had them in the past. We were not really keen on them though. The suet was just too soggy.

I really dislike the taste of burned food. 

The last offering from Fray Bentos that we attempted to eat on the boat consisted of soggy pastry, gloopy gravy and little discernable by way of meat.  It left me with griping indigestion, so is not an experience I will be repeating. There is another one in the store cupboard, which along with age-old cans of cassoulet and choucroute garni will, I suspect, serve more to maintain the trim of the boat than for any gastronomic purpose.

When provisioning for a week on the boat, we like to buy cooked hams from Roys which keep for ages in the fridge and can be used to make sandwiches or salads, served up with an egg and some chips from a convenient chippy, be eaten accompanied by veg and new potatoes or even be added to an omelette. They are cheap to buy and very tasty.

When we've baked FB pies in the oven we have never had any problems with soggy pastry. We had one a couple of weeks ago and it was just fine.   :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

The last time I had a Fray Bentos pie it came with a different topping. I don't know what it was but it was delicious.

20181129_101933.jpg.7cc3cccd508af47b92c18f450314338a.jpg

(Not my hand holding the tin)

I always remember that delicious pie because it was the day before I was crippled over with agonising stomach cramps and vomiting. I never worked out where that bug came from.

• Haha 1