Wintertime Cooking

Cal

6 hours ago, Jayfire said:

Any beer ending in light gets a :1315_thumbsdown_tone1: from me.

Don't listen to those beer snobs, try a Stella or 10 :default_smiley-angelic002:

:default_beerchug:

It is only light in calories not alcohol content.

You can have twice as many and still have the same calorie intake :default_beerchug:

6 hours ago, hazelgirl said:

Erm where are all the cider connoisseurs at then???? :352_green_apple:, the best beer has to be my very first when I am finally home on a Friday, sat ready to watch my programs or do very badly in the NBN quiz, peace out :99_muscle:

Best beer of the week has to be the first one on a Friday when we have got to the boat,  unpacked and sat down to relax. 

• Like 1

Best drink of the day for me is my first pot of tea in the morning. Hot with milk but no sugar. Second best drink of the day is my mid-morning coffee - strong and made in the cafitiere. Again, with milk but no sugar. Of course I like a beer, a glass of wine and an occasional whisky, but somehow they don't usually qualify as "best drink of the day".

• Like 1

If I'd known there was a cider shortage I'd have hunted down a couple of bottles of Biddenden cider. Made in Kent, extremely smooth and extremely strong. Unfortunately, the only shop I know which sells it round here closed half an hour ago.

3 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

Steering a course back on track , an easy filling and hearty winter meal is homemade curried butternut squash soup , or if your pockets can take it homemade spinach and watercress soup ( affectionately called pond soup by my children) , both only take a hour to prepare and cook from scratch .

Recipe, please?   :default_beerchug:

23 minutes ago, Hockham Admiral said:

Recipe, please?   :default_beerchug:

Curried Butternut Squash soup

you need 

1 small butternut squash (or pumpkin)

1 Large onion (or two small) 

2 cloves of garlic

3/4 pint of stock (I use chicken but veggies can use vegetable stock) 

2 tablespoons of curry powder (madras)

1 small tin of coconut milk 

2 teaspoons of palm sugar (if not available can use honey)

1 optional birds eye chilli

Method 

fry off sliced onions , crushed garlic and curry powder in olive oil until the onions are transparent and soft , add cubed (c.1cm) squash fry for a further three minutes whilst stirring continuously then add the stock and bring to the boil (if wished add the finely chopped chilli at this stage) reduce to a simmer for approx 30 mins until the squash is soft , stir in the palm sugar and coconut milk and simmer for a further 5 mins.

next i use a hand held blender and “blitz” until smooth , add seasoning to taste ,hey ho job done .

if you wish a richer soup instead of olive oil you can use half a pack of butter and fry on a lower heat for longer .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pond Soup 

6 packs of watercress

1 large pack spinach

2 large onions 

1 pint chicken stock

1 block of butter 

loads of freshly ground black pepper 

Sour cream or crème fresh

melt butter in a large pan , add chopped watercress and diced onions fry until onions transparent and watercress is limp , add black pepper , add cup of stock and simmer for 20 mins over low heat , then add remaining stock bring to the boil and simmer for a further 10 mins , reduce heat and stir in the spinach , turn off the heat , cover and allow the spinach to wilt in the residual heat for five mins , then my trusty hand blender comes into use again until the desired smoothness is achieved , stir in a swirl of sour cream when serving 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/12/2018 at 07:50, hazelgirl said:

The best drink of today has to be the Twinings Strawberry Glow tea that I have just brewed getting into work :default_wub:

Best drink of today. A glass of Jack Daniels and Denton and Curiosity Cola I have just had after getting in from work.

Hard earned today!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

It, like any other cola, is the ruination of a great spirit. Straight or, if you must, on the rocks is the only way for JD or JB. :) 

Hmmmm can't say I agree lol but what's JB????? feeling really quite thick this morning hahaha