Wintertime Cooking

Cal

Yesterday evenng I made Chicken, Leek and Cider Pie served with boiled potatoes.
It was a LOT of work, the wife loved it & daughter ate hers so that means something.

CLCPie-mini.jpg

If anyone tries to make it do not underestimate the amount of work until the pie goes into the oven!
I did use ready-made puff pastry from local supermarket.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, HEM said:

Yesterday evenng I made Chicken, Leek and Cider Pie served with boiled potatoes.
It was a LOT of work, the wife loved it & daughter ate hers so that means something.

CLCPie-mini.jpg

If anyone tries to make it do not underestimate the amount of work until the pie goes into the oven!

That looks lovely.

52 minutes ago, HEM said:

CLCPie-mini.jpg

That looks like heaven on a plate :default_wub: well done you :default_icon_clap:

31 minutes ago, hazelgirl said:

That looks like heaven on a plate :default_wub: well done you :default_icon_clap:

It was pretty good :9_innocent:  All one has to do is to follow the checklist err recipe....

Manchester - thats where I was before moving out here for one year (that was 36 years ago - still here).
I worked then for Manchester University lived at my parent's place near Knustford.

• Like 1

Wintertime for me is either a decent vindaloo or beef & game hot pot served in a pint pot making it easy to scoff whilst under way. Prepare at home and either shove it in a wide necked Thermos flask or heat it up onboard. No finesse or eating with my eyes, strictly functional, hot and tasty! 

1 hour ago, HEM said:

Manchester - thats where I was before moving out here for one year (that was 36 years ago - still here).
I worked then for Manchester University lived at my parent's place near Knustford.

Awww it's always nice to find out when people have lived or do live close by :default_biggrin:

I have made all sorts on board before now from full roast dinners to pies, from home made lasagna to just a tin of stewed steak with mash and mushy peas.

Most hire boats (including the old ones) have excellent galley facilities so when you are used to camping and cooking a full steak dinner on a 2 burner gas stove, anything is achievable on a boat :99_muscle: 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hazelgirl said:

I have made all sorts on board before now from full roast dinners to pies, from home made lasagna to just a tin of stewed steak with mash and mushy peas.

Most hire boats (including the old ones) have excellent galley facilities so when you are used to camping and cooking a full steak dinner on a 2 burner gas stove, anything is achievable on a boat :99_muscle: 

Agreed which is why I always cook a Sunday lunch when we are on a hire boat. Can't cook one on ours (well I can but no Yorkshire pudding or roast potatoes so it doesn't count as a proper Sunday lunch) so we always have one when we hire.

On the hire boats we tend to go all out and have a proper home cooked meal or eat out instead. There doesn't seem to be any in between ground!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cal said:

Agreed which is why I always cook a Sunday lunch when we are on a hire boat. Can't cook one on ours (well I can but no Yorkshire pudding or roast potatoes so it doesn't count as a proper Sunday lunch) so we always have one when we hire.

On the hire boats we tend to go all out and have a proper home cooked meal or eat out instead. There doesn't seem to be any in between ground!

Aunt Bessie's.

Tonight we are having a 5% steak mince chilli with some rice and homemade garlic bread on the boat. 

I have cheated and made the chilli in advance at home so it only needs warming through this evening. And the garlic bread is simple enough.

But we do often cook a chilli from scratch on board.

On 07/12/2018 at 17:43, JennyMorgan said:

You have a grill? Luxury! 

We have a working fridge as well now. All the mod cons onboard NC :default_laugh:

Four hours of swearing, fibre glass itch, more swearing, pushing and shoving, more swearing, scratching heads, more swearing, cutting more bits out of the boat and more swearing later we had the Waeco in place.

Have to say the effort was worth it though as the new fridge is much better. It fits more beer in it for a start but it is also whisper quiet and uses bugger all power.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cal said:

uses bugger all power.

Those three last words are the answer.      To have a proper fridge that uses low battery use is an absolute must on a boat.  Nothing worse than listening to something burring away all night and you are thinking I wonder if the batteries will last.    Sometimes on hot days our fridge used to go constantly.