Odd going's on at Southwold and Sizewell!

Ok guy's, I've been doing a bit of 'digging', and here's what I've come up with:

The MFV Rachael is a CEFAS reserach vessel:

http://www.cefas.co.uk/media/130773/fsp ... report.pdf

These activities are probably related to the recent "habit survey" that has been carried out by the CEFAS Laboratory of Lowestoft on behalf of the EA and Food Standards Agency. (It might also be related to some sort of baseline survey before Sizewell C gets built??)

They update the habit survey every few years to review the habits of the population and wildlife around the site so that they can estimate the radiation doses to these groups which they call critical groups (i.e the groups that receive most radiation dose from discharges, etc - usually local fishermen and long term/permanent residents). The data is used to produce annual reports called Radioactivity in Food and the Environment - R.I.F.E. These include doses from natural background radioactivity too. They are all in the public domain and you can download them here: -

http://www.cefas.co.uk/publications/sci ... nment(rife).aspx

Hope this puts your minds at rest :)

BTW, even the Olympics it would seem, is at the cente of a radioactive waste issue!!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010 ... ympic-site

Dave

Given the proximity of Southwold to Sizewell, and that fact that many (if not all) of the boats there will frequently pass back and forth by the outfall, Probably explains the 'goings on' at Southwold, including the EA collecting water samples.

However, as I said earlier, I don't trust the Nuclear Industry, and using a fuel that is deadly to start with, and remains deadly for thousands of years even when expended, that it has to be buried deep underground in bedrock, isn't my idea of 'clean'.

Like it or not though, its here to stay, it's use will increase, and there's nothing going to change that.

Dave

The scarey thing about all the happenings listen above is that if details previously of any incident were hard to come by, (Remember the admission that the old A MAGNOX reactor had suffered a number of potentially dangerous incidents and radioactive material MAY have been released... think that admission was approx 90/91 time.... well now details of any incidents are covered by two wonderful new pieces of legislation namely the American Homeland Security Bill - yep our nuclear plants do come under that act, and of course the Prevention of Terrorism Act, both of which enable the operators of any plant to keep any details absolutely secret!

Just a reminder that the Pressurised Water Reactor (PWR) was designed by Babcock and Wilcox and is pretty much built to the same design of that built at Three Mile Island which managed to vent so much irradiated cooling gas when a PORV valve vented open....and was left with so much contaminated water (around 2.2 million gallons) that it took over two years to dispose of (via controlled evaporation)

Incidentally, under much of a cloud, and despite much public outcry, the original site 1 was allowed to resume generation and was bought by a consortium named AmerGen in 1998, of which British Energy is a major share holder - although the TMI-2 reactor is now fully de-fuelled and in the final processes of being fully decommissioned and is being monitored as a 'long term storage facility' the sister TM-1 site continues to operate, a full year after it's decommissioning date, and this could continue to do so for at least another 25 years!!!.... Oh has anyone any idea of what else a PWR can be used for apart from energy generation... hmmm>?

Anyway, back to the current lot this side of the pond.....- 50 additional firefighters - in addition to Sizewell's own fairly sizeable fire support unit and a fire in a 'fuel storage unit' at the 21 metre level doesn't sound like a small incident to me, and all of this is now making my brain swell.... :?

Interesting interesting interesting - fire at 200c - in a CARBON charcoal filter (Not your usual BBQ bricks but a filter used to leach contaminates...) Hmm, my chin is getting itchy again!

Oh and thanks everyone for the great comments about my new underwater LED lighting system and how good they look - oddly I haven't had them fitted yet! :norty:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stop giving be something else to worry about ..... take tip from ostirich, find hole, put head in it and stamp feet.