Why Is It?

Ray

I hired an Alpha 29 Sportsbridge from Bridge Craft in Ely. It had a radiator heating system run off a super-thin boiler that was fitted over one of the "bedrooms" it was really excellent.

I always liked the Sportsbridge version of the Alpha 29, but not good for the less mobile as the companionway was very steep and the canopy pretty heavy.

Didn't think much to the canal blog he hasn't wired the batteries up correctly and for max performance/longevity and if he had insulated the pipe runs with armaflex the heating would be more efficient and controllable  . if you pipe a car heater in series with califorer it will work fine, or if you have a twin tubbed califorer use the califorer as the heat exchanger with seperate johnson flow pump to pump water through to heater/radiators, this is what i have done, free background heat while engine is running. John

HI, John (annv), using the second calorifier feed as a heat exchanger was my original thoughts on achieving this, but I then installed an eberspacher hydromatic diesel heater, so that used the second feed to heat the hot water. That's why I used a car matrix. Do you find it takes a while to get heat, using the second calorifier feed? Just for my own interest, I always wondered if that might be the case.

The thing is with the diesel heaters sometimes the installation done professionally can cost as much as the heater itsSelf, but of course if you already have a heater which has given up the ghost the Chinese/Russian heaters wouldn't take much to fit, and certainly when my heater packs up sorry can't spell the name of it  I will look at one of these alternative ones and yes they're so cheap you can buy a spare as well :-)

Hi Scaniaman I wasn't aware of that, the heat exchangers would of course work straight away as against using a califorier. The way he was talking sounds like he thinks its a good lay out, but the first battery is doing all the work, and the plumping has no insulation this is giving the wrong/incorrect information, if you keep it simple it tends to be better and less likely to malfunction, he is obviously pleased with his installation, ignorance is bliss. I wouldn't want other people to copy this installation thinking it was the best way. John

• Like 1