Build A 12v Drawer Fridge

smitch6

I'm thinking on my new resto project the helm seat is quite large and made from wood, the old owner housed the gas bottles under the seat........

i'm not doing that obviously and will put the gas bottles out back anyways.

thinking about the dead space under the seat i am thinking about a drawer fridge.

these are ridiculous money to buy so does anyone know how to build 1?

i'd ideally want it to be a compressor fridge due to economincal running on the batteries.

i know alot of compressors are noisy but i'd like it to be as quiet as possible being under my seat

It's been some 11 years since my time but we made custom fridges on Oysters, really quite simple, a GRP box, lagged on the outside with closed cell foam, a compresser mounted remotely, cooling plate and thermostat inside the fridge, door with door seal.

Look into Frigomatic/Frigoboat systems,  they were pre-gassed and easy to assemble. Assuming they are still making them.

• Like 1

The components for a compressor fridge are not much cheaper than buying a complete fridge, the advantage of a homebuilt fridge is that you can usually mount the compressor unit up to 1.5 metres away so if you bulid the fridge in the right place the compressor can be outside the cabin area, when it's hot and the fridge works hardest it pumps out heat into the cabin otherwise and makes the fridge have to work harder.

Years ago I had one of the waeco drwer fridges under the dinette seat on a norman 25 and although it was dear it was a great fridge, the drawer design means all the cold air doesn't drop out when you open it unlike a normal fridge.

Isotherm do the kits and you can take the rivets out of the evaporator plate and carefully (VERY carefully) straighten them out to a flat plate if needed, on my last boat I did this and used the plate as an L shape up the back and top of my homemade fridge cupboard.