Boats For Couples

DJB

23 minutes ago, Hylander said:

If you are wondering , have you ever seen me tie a rope?

There seems to be few people like that Mrs H, and no matter how many times I point out they'll never learn unless you try, it seems to make no difference whatsoever.

At least you take over the helm though, some people won't do that either :default_biggrin:

19 minutes ago, Jayfire said:

There seems to be few people like that Mrs H, and no matter how many times I point out they'll never learn unless you try, it seems to make no difference whatsoever.

At least you take over the helm though, some people won't do that either :default_biggrin:

It is surprising just how many people you find on boats who have no interest in learning how to handle it be that driving or mooring up.

We made a point of both of us learning how to handle our boat and being able to handle it on our own without another crew member just in case one of us falls ill during a cruise. The other can then take it home single handed. 

Good job too because there have been two occasions now where Liam has been taken ill and I have had to get the boat back to base alone!

• Like 6

I’m the same as Monica on this one. Hubby does the ropes as he is stronger and more sure footed than me. I’m at the helm for mooring up and getting away. We’ve watched so many couples doing it the other way round and really struggling for the lady to manage getting off. Or one man simply doing it all while everyone else on board sits and watches!

Sent from the Norfolk Broads Network mobile app

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SwanR said:

I’m the same as Monica on this one. Hubby does the ropes as he is stronger and more sure footed than me. I’m at the helm for mooring up and getting away. We’ve watched so many couples doing it the other way round and really struggling for the lady to manage getting off. Or one man simply doing it all while everyone else on board sits and watches!

We adopt this technique to Jean, depends on the boat, we can both do and will if needed but most of the time I'm at the helm anyway while hubby is passing the drinks lol 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Note to self... do not comment... say nothing... Keep thoughts to self  … repeat  ... do not comment... say nothing...……….

I tried that once, so boring, never again :default_smiley-angelic002:

6 hours ago, SwanR said:

If the person getting off with the ropes is struggling then the person at the helm really needs to get the boat alongside and under better control.

In our case it will usually be Liam at the helm and me doing the ropes.  He knows that I will not step off the boat until he has it under full control and close alongside where he will hold it until both bow and stern and any spring lines are secured.

No tugging and pulling at ropes or the boat. Let the boat do the work.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cal said:

If the person getting off with the ropes is struggling then the person at the helm really needs to get the boat alongside and under better control.

In our case it will usually be Liam at the helm and me doing the ropes.  He knows that I will not step off the boat until he has it under full control and close alongside where he will hold it until both bow and stern and any spring lines are secured.

No tugging and pulling at ropes or the boat. Let the boat do the work.

Wise words, Cal. Shouldn't be up to the crew to make good the mistakes of the helmsman. Better to back off and come in again.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Cal said:

I would have to slightly disagree with that, only because I think that it's also about the confidence of the person stepping ashore. I don't have good balance and like a hand to hold onto, sometimes even once we're moored up. And as hubby is taller than me he can step down from boats where I will struggle to get off. Even a centre cockpit boat on a high tide at a side on mooring can be very difficult for me. There has been more than one occasion where I literally haven't been able to get off a boat unless we are stern moored.

• Like 2

I can sympathise with you Jean.   Once on picking up Captain 8 the tide was so low that I really struggled to get on board as it was stern moored.     While everyone else was leaping on board I just stood there thinking that drop is far too much for me.    In the end I went on to the side , hanging on for grim death , and gradually worked my way towards the stern and really struggled with the drop down on to the boat but further in,   but did make it.    After doing it once and knowing how far the drop was on to the seat at the back I was ok.     You just never think of these things until they present themselves.    We are not all as agile as we used to be.   I worry about my hips.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SwanR said:

I would have to slightly disagree with that, only because I think that it's also about the confidence of the person stepping ashore. I don't have good balance and like a hand to hold onto, sometimes even once we're moored up. And as hubby is taller than me he can step down from boats where I will struggle to get off. Even a centre cockpit boat on a high tide at a side on mooring can be very difficult for me. There has been more than one occasion where I literally haven't been able to get off a boat unless we are stern moored.

I know the feeling.  Often when the tide was very low at Loddon I was effectively stuck on board Moonlight Shadow as not agile enough to negotiate the 3 foot step up.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Cal said:

I think the posts from SwanR, Hylander, hazelgirl and SueH say it all, with the best will in the world there will be times that someone will struggle. I’m sure I probably look very ungainly getting off the boat sometimes but I only do whatever I believe I can manage in safety. 

I really do think there is nothing about boating that is ‘black and white’!

• Like 2

I think it's just the same as everything isn't it?

Some people do something one way, others another. And if the final outcome (in this instance) is a successful moored boat with nobody injured and no property damaged, who cares how the final outcome was achieved.

I know I most certainly don't get every mooring correct whether alone or having assistance, I've a 3 inch gash on my leg from solo mooring at the Ferry the other day, but then I've never claimed to be some superior helm, and I've never yet (touching wood) hurt or damaged any of my or other people's property of body.

(If I've gone off on a tangent, hey I'm tired ok :default_biggrin:)

If it got to the point where I was really struggling to get on and off the boat then at that time it would be time to hang up the hat and find another hobby!!

I am also a shortie, 5'3" and not claiming to be the most agile but can't really think of a time on the Broads on our own boat or a hire boat where I have struggled to get on or off.

Climbing the ladders at Great Yarmouth at low water Springs was not my most enjoyable experience I will say but neither was it overly difficult.

• Like 1

Just going back to the original post, there are a great many boats for couples available from OTHER yards, as Richardsons are NOT the ONLY hire fleet on the Broads. Try talking to Pacific Cruisers in Loddon, or Freedom Boating in Thorpe, or Bridgecraft from Acle. They are the 3 that i would recommend, and being smaller family run yards, you may get a more personal service, and flexibility?.

• Like 1