Lpg Induction Hob, Anyone?

OldBerkshireBoy

hi pumpmedic induction hobs work from electric causing a magnetic field cant see how lpg which is a gas will work you will need 100 plus amps at 12 volts  or shore power or 6 kva generator plus not all cookware works with magnetic field, i would stick to gas it will heat up the boat as well as cooking. also not sure how well the pots will stay on hob when on water, the top is a flat shiny glass finish. John

15 minutes ago, annv said:

hi pumpmedic induction hobs work from electric causing a magnetic field cant see how lpg which is a gas will work you will need 100 plus amps at 12 volts  or shore power or 6 kva generator plus not all cookware works with magnetic field, i would stick to gas it will heat up the boat as well as cooking. also not sure how well the pots will stay on hob when on water, the top is a flat shiny glass finish. John

Don`t understand how they work either John but they do make them, was just thinking if induction is supposed to be quicker then less gas would be used. As I said my mind was just having a wander on a quiet Sunday afternoon.

3 hours ago, Thiswan said:

Like the idea of a cooking hob that doesn't normaly get hot with no pan present but what if you get over familier and put your finger with a ring on too close. silly I know but!

Induction hobs only work with certain pans, they have to be magnetic. I can’t say for sure but I doubt too many rings are magnetic. I don’t see how an induction hob would work with anything other than electric so I have to agree with MM. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pumpmedic said:

Guess there is a Red warning light as on other hobs (?).

The only heat an induction hob retains is the residual heat from the pan used to cook with. That is usually shown as a small ‘h’ on the controls once the hob is turned off. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Would an LPG Induction cooker have an induction hob with an LPG grill and oven? As I understand it that's the only way it could exist. Induction will only work off the electric, and grills and ovens cannot be induction.

As ever, I stand to be corrected.

Thinking seperate LPG hob with stand alone normal non induction LPG grill and oven.

I don`t know how they work either but it`s got people thinking :default_biggrin: 

Quote from Google when I asked "How does an induction hob work"

Induction cooking heats a cooking vessel by electrical induction, instead of by thermal conduction from a flame, or an electrical heating element. ... An induction hob contains a coil of copper wire underneath the ceramic plate, and when a cooking pot is placed on top an alternating electric current is passed through it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Quote from Google when I asked "How does an induction hob work"

Induction cooking heats a cooking vessel by electrical induction, instead of by thermal conduction from a flame, or an electrical heating element. ... An induction hob contains a coil of copper wire underneath the ceramic plate, and when a cooking pot is placed on top an alternating electric current is passed through it.

Which blows a big hole in the article I was looking at earlier. Can I blame the Russians for false information or should I put it down to the Red wine? 

Quite a few years ago while  working for a well known  DIY store I was invited to the Belling/Stoves factory somewhere near  

Preston (I think).We had never heard of induction hobs so were invited to guess using a measured amount of water in an electric kettle, a pan on a gas cooker and the induction hob which would boil quickest. The induction hob won by a country mile even without a lid.. The main problem no copper or aluminium pans and of course a hefty inverter and Lithium batteries.preferably.

If I was a wealthy chap and had a boat I would certainly go this route, even after boiling this water the hob was safe to touch after seconds rather  than minutes.

Edited by springsong

You can now buy a single induction hob which would be ideal on a boat provided you could use an electric post of course. I think they are about £50. I have had a full induction hob at home for about 10 years now, they are incredibly quick as there is no waiting round for the hob to heat up. They are also extremely easy to clean, just a wipe over with a damp cloth after use. If a pan does boil over, the electric cuts out immediately. Safety wise, I would think they would be good on a boat. 

2 hours ago, vanessan said:

You can now buy a single induction hob which would be ideal on a boat provided you could use an electric post of course. 

And provided you've not got much else running at the same time.. They pull around 2KW.

People do assume that because you've got shore power it must be like a domestic supply, but the average Broads cruiser with shore power is wired for 16Amps (as are the majority of the sockets on the posts).

That's only 3.6KW at 230V, or around a sixth of the supply most of us in the UK have at home.

I have seen molten shore power cables and adapters...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

And provided you've not got much else running at the same time.. They pull around 2KW.

People do assume that because you've got shore power it must be like a domestic supply, but the average Broads cruiser with shore power is wired for 16Amps (as are the majority of the sockets on the posts).

That's only 3.6KW at 230V, or around a sixth of the supply most of us in the UK have at home.

I have seen molten shore power cables and adapters...

That’s very true, always best to make sure you only run one hefty electrical appliance at once. We did overdo it once however, I don’t remember what we had running, and the post cut out and had to be reset. All quite straightforward though. 

2 hours ago, oldgregg said:

The trouble is that if you've tripped the post out then you've gone WAY over the rated current.

Not the case when our post tripped out, I think we only had the battery trickle charge on and the electric kettle! As far as I can remember anyway.